BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage unveiled (w/ classic livery rendering)

05-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #353
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Cool BMW Face

A proper BMW Face
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #354
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up accau | BMW i8 Concept

accau | BMW i8 Concept

Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 06-10-2015 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #355
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
A proper BMW Face
No.
      05-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #356
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
BMW SX Concept
Absolutely awful. There is nothing to show any type of BMW DNA.
This would be on the wall to show designers Not what to do...
      05-29-2015, 10:02 PM   #357
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 05:07 AM   #358
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
They're only important when BMW wins, like all those dubious awards that make Bimmerpost front page when BMW wins.
I truly don't value awards. They are chosen by committees for all kinds of reasons and often wrong ones.

The Bentley is just vulgar for a luxury brand that is supposed to be about British Elegance so when it is awarded a design award with so many other beautiful cars out there, it only adds to my doubts.

BMW is making an effort in answer to the complaints that it has lost the will to build driver machines in flavours other than vanilla. So they went over the top a bit? So what!?! It is a concept and judging by the history of its concept offering and others they eventually morph into beautiful products... If there is sufficient interest, that is. Let's hope they get enough of it for the CSL.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:28 AM   #359
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxM3 View Post

And in the 1970's, orange shag carpet was available too...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #360
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
I really liked the concept, I don't know why it was so harshly received.

In my opinion, judging from the CSL concept, BMW was testing the waters and it plans to return to the shark nose look in their 3 series (maybe other models too). Their "BMW Lusso Gran Coupe" concept from a few years ago will probably serve as a base for future designs. There is quite a bit of resemblance in the front between the Lusso and the CSL concepts.
Put a Roundel at the Hoffmeister Kink and you've got it!
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #361
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
I truly don't value awards. They are chosen by committees for all kinds of reasons and often wrong ones.

The Bentley is just vulgar for a luxury brand that is supposed to be about British Elegance so when it is awarded a design award with so many other beautiful cars out there, it only adds to my doubts.

BMW is making an effort in answer to the complaints that it has lost the will to build driver machines in flavours other than vanilla. So they went over the top a bit? So what!?! It is a concept and judging by the history of its concept offering and others they eventually morph into beautiful products... If there is sufficient interest, that is. Let's hope they get enough of it for the CSL.
The concensus here, is that the hommage car front end is ugly. Anyway, I'll take boring over ugly and over the top. The current design team at BMW is trying too hard, they can learn a few things from Porsche.
Also when the E46 M3 came out, it wasnt controversial or over the top yet the majority of car enthusiasts regardless of their brand loyalty, auto journos etc. loved its design.
The same formula is still working at Porsche.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 12:02 PM   #362
N & M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
For years now people have complain about the last generations BMW - for beeing boring and dull.
After the latest homage debut, people goes conservative again.
Surely there are elements in this car that's not going to be used.
As well as there are features that's easy to trace in the i8.
And by this, the prospect from the future BMW and M models seems very exciting and dynamic again.
The news about more extreme versions of M versions that's coming is also very welcomed!
Sheer up, i think this car is very exciting and promising for the future cars coming from BMW.
Agreed. I think it is the Mercedes counter enthusiasm PR brigade.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 12:08 PM   #363
N & M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
The concensus here, is that the hommage car front end is ugly. Anyway, I'll take boring over ugly and over the top. The current design team at BMW is trying too hard, they can learn a few things from Porsche.
Also when the E46 M3 came out, it wasnt controversial or over the top yet the majority of car enthusiasts regardless of their brand loyalty, auto journos etc. loved its design.

I am sorry, but did you read my earlier posts? Basically; I agree front is a bit OTT. The shape and concept direction though is promising. As a concept it is allowed to challenge views and shock a bit as long as the production product irons out the crazy bits which it most likely would due to the cost and production limitations.

One thing, I disagree with is being OK with the recent BMW "vanilla" design language. A little more spice please!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #364
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan
Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Ugly wedge. Could use one as a door stop.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:50 PM   #365
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
I am sorry, but did you read my earlier posts? Basically; I agree front is a bit OTT. The shape and concept direction though is promising. As a concept it is allowed to challenge views and shock a bit as long as the production product irons out the crazy bits which it most likely would due to the cost and production limitations.

One thing, I disagree with is being OK with the recent BMW "vanilla" design language. A little more spice please!
+1

Thing is the best looking hard top vert on the road today by a long shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #366
MRJCB
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M4

Hope it's not a repost. Did not want to view all pages on phone.
Video
http://www.123papz.nl/de-nieuwste-bmw-3-0-csl-hommage/
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #367
Gonven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #368
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Question BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage - why DayGlow Yellow BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I do not know if you are old enough to remember?
But this DayGlow Yellow is actually called Golf Yellow and not only was it available on the E9 CS/CSi/CSL but countless other classic BMWs such as the E21,E12 5er and the classic 2002. So it is not something pulled out of a hat but a classic interpretation for reinvention of a classic car.
Yes old enough SCOTT26!

If BMW was going to show this DayGlow Yellow BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage side by side with the original CSL, BMW Marketing should have show it with a matching "Golf Yellow" one. But I still think that "Golf Yellow" and DayGlow Yellow is and was a terrible choice then and now.

I don't care what the technical BS name of the Yellow paint is, it still sucks!
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 06-10-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #369
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Cool BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage side by side with the original Silver CSL.

BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage side by side with the original Silver CSL.
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 06-10-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #370
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Wink BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage side by side with the classic race car livery original CSL.

BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage side by side with the classic race car livery original CSL.
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 06-10-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #371
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Smile I like it a lot better in the video.

I like it a lot better in the video. It looks way cooler, and sounds great! The rear and wing is killer!!!

The color has to be changes ASAP - lets try BLACK please, and loose the polished chrome wheels and update the fuggly grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonven View Post

Last edited by DCG; 06-10-2015 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #372
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

BMW 3.0 CSL Alpine White

BMW 3.0 CSL Alpine White
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #373
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Cool Jon Sibal please try the BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage in classic Jet Black.

Jon Sibal please try the BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage in classic badass Jet Black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:01 AM   #374
Jonathane24
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 628csi

As a student architecture I watch differently to design - even design that has nothing to do with buildings. That may sound funny but it's true, I appreciate things that I used to hate or found ugly. May be I look to the details on another way than a couple of years ago. Whatever, what I try to say is that I actually really like the front of this car. The big kidney grill is a beautiful new feature that gives the car a strong, muscular face. It's like the kidney grills we used to know on bmw's until today look immediately dated. And unless the others on this forum I don't really like the back of the car. I think it looks too much like a concept for a racing game or something. However: great car, I'm in love with it!
Appreciate 0