BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2022 M550 First Days Review

10-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #23
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550I /2019 X5 Premium

Garage List
Dynamic Headlight

Someone had asked me about the headlights in the new M550. Well I just took it for it's first night drive.
Sure enough they headlights are not cornering with the car. BUT an interesting cornering illumination is happening. It's static and seems like a small spotlight goes on when the wheel is turned for a small amount of time, offramp, turn onto a road but not corering or tracking.
I'm not sure what it is and am sure someone reading this will comment before I find out. I will investigate as well as see what my build states I have,
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #24
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsfll View Post
Someone had asked me about the headlights in the new M550. Well I just took it for it's first night drive.
Sure enough they headlights are not cornering with the car. BUT an interesting cornering illumination is happening. It's static and seems like a small spotlight goes on when the wheel is turned for a small amount of time, offramp, turn onto a road but not corering or tracking.
I'm not sure what it is and am sure someone reading this will comment before I find out. I will investigate as well as see what my build states I have,
Correct, there is a separate cornering light that turns on with turns. The headlights are static.

There is a separate thread, but I believe it started with the 2021 LCI models.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #25
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Here are the pics of the front and rear seats with different surfaces. Yes I understand why there are peforations. No I don't understand why rear seat could not match even if BMW cheapened out and did not include cooling them in the package.

Also I thought it was worth a laugh that my car was delivered with these on the passenger seat. Did'nt even notice until someone went to sit in it a day later.

The Expel PPF had creases and as noted the seams are now in the centers of the air dam turrets. Highly visible. The first attempt lef 1/4" gap at the seam.
I personally don't think the non-perforated back seats are deal breakers, but that's a personal opinions. FYI, if you want perforated back seats to match the front, you have to buy a M5 with merino leather. Here's my wife's M5 front and back seats. Both are perforated and match each other.
Attached Images

10-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #26
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep

Garage List
AS someone who deals in specifics of excellence the surfaces should match. BMW is losing it's way on details. It's like having non matched glasses or silver on a table, non matched kitchen cabinets, non matched windows some with grids and some without. The guests at my resorts would never accept this.
Appreciate 2
      10-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #27
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep

Garage List
H_T, The standard feature states Adaptive Lghts but my lense states BMW LED which is different from my '19 M550. Hard to believe that the static light that is not always lit is the new definition of adaptive. It's a nice safety feature.
In my opinion they should have changed the name or better yet added it as an option or baked it into a package.
I have had at least one in my garage for 30 years. This may be my last. Sad to say.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #28
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Quote:
H_T, The standard feature states Adaptive Lghts but my lense states BMW LED which is different from my '19 M550. Hard to believe that the static light that is not always lit is the new definition of adaptive. It's a nice safety feature.
In my opinion they should have changed the name or better yet added it as an option or baked it into a package.
I have had at least one in my garage for 30 years. This may be my last. Sad to say.
I completely understand. My E60 lights turned with the steering as well.

Overall, pros defiantly outweighs the cons for the new 5's (at least for me). I am coming back to the 5 series from a non-BMW, and I do see more coverage with headlights overall compared to my E60. I also love the technology in the LCI, plus the m550's powerful engine.

More information was discussed regarding the headlights here: Adaptive Headlights Don't Swivel Side to Side Anymore? https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1825371
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #29
G35c6MT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i5 M60

Quote:
AS someone who deals in specifics of excellence the surfaces should match. BMW is losing it's way on details. It's like having non matched glasses or silver on a table, non matched kitchen cabinets, non matched windows some with grids and some without. The guests at my resorts would never accept this.
The seat discrepancy was the first thing I noticed after getting my car. The rears look noticeably cheap compared to the fronts, and even on their own they seem to have more of a vinyl look.

I don't recall seeing anything like this on Audis or MBs of the same price group and would've liked for it all to be matched and well thought out from a stylistic perspective. It's still a fantastic car in other areas, but this is a big miss.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #30
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
I think an Aston Martin would be more appropriate to full fill this sort of requirement, rather than a mass produced BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #31
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the link on the lights. BMW trying to say car no longer comes with Adaptive but right on website under Standard Features/Safety.

As for seats, BASIC but good cars match. It's not a Ferrari where they are hand ticking the seats. To your point it's mass production
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Standard Features 2022 M550.pdf (89.9 KB, 100 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #32
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well as I get into the car small things become more headshaking. The phone charger location was always a miss and yes it is now gone. With that said the "bucket" that is in it's place behind the cup holders is even more useless. Try to place your phone in it. A typical Ipgone or Samsunge barely fits and it is so much deeper that you cannot pick it up.
My "phone holder" is now the space that I make on the passenger seat by extending the leg support. LOL. It could have at least been built like my X5.

The rear brake assist slammed on when backing my car out of the gargage. I tried several times. I got out and looked around and nothing was impeding it. I disabled it to get out. It had'nt happened before and hasn't happened after.

3 weeks into ownership. 300 miles on it as I have not been aroung to enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #33
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:

The rear brake assist slammed on when backing my car out of the gargage. I tried several times. I got out and looked around and nothing was impeding it. I disabled it to get out. It had'nt happened before and hasn't happened after.
The rear sensors are too low and will trigger on any kind of incline change. A driveway meeting the road will trigger it many times. Need to learn to back out at an angle and slow.
      10-10-2021, 06:41 PM   #34
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Quote:
Thanks.
Car is GREAT! Just picked up from dealer. RFT's off and real tires on.
What brand non-run flats did you have installed? I have an M550i on order and have been thinking about trying to work out a tire swap.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:01 AM   #35
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelinc View Post
What brand non-run flats did you have installed? I have an M550i on order and have been thinking about trying to work out a tire swap.
Why not just order with Summer non-run flats which will include a spare tire kit in the trunk?
      10-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #36
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
I love my Michelin PS3ZPs..... smooth, quiet and grippy. I've got over 25K on them, with lots of tread left.

BTW, my back seats are also not perforated, so this is not a new thing. Quite frankly, I had not given it any thought until this thread. YMMV.

Last edited by hlothery; 10-12-2021 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #37
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Regarding the non-perforated rear seats...as some have already mentioned...BMW started doing this a few model years back.

In the f06 six series...it started with the LCI 2016 model year. Prior to that..if you have perforated Nappa front seats, the rear seats were perforated Nappa, too. Starting with the 2016 LCI, perforated Nappa front seats came with non-perforated rear seats.

But I think that Merino leather may be different. Like sandwi54 mentioned about his wife's M5 w/Merino leather having perforated rear seats...I saw an LCI f06 M6 GC that had perforated rear seats, too...which surprised me. I assumed that BMW stopped using perforated rear seats if the fans weren't installed...but it appears it may just be a Dakota/Vernasca/Nappa leather thing.

Regarding the road sign speed limit and my actual speed displayed in the HUD...I find that BRILLIANT! Knowing what the legal speed limit is and seeing how fast you're going helps you know exactly what to say if you get pulled over and the law walks up to your window and asks..."do you know how fast you were going?"...you know exactly how far over the speed limit you were driving. It also gives you an idea how much you need to slow down if you spot the law first.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-12-2021 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #38
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35c6MT View Post
The seat discrepancy was the first thing I noticed after getting my car. The rears look noticeably cheap compared to the fronts, and even on their own they seem to have more of a vinyl look.

I don't recall seeing anything like this on Audis or MBs of the same price group and would've liked for it all to be matched and well thought out from a stylistic perspective. It's still a fantastic car in other areas, but this is a big miss.
Do you have Dakota or Nappa leather? I have Nappa and I notice the discepancy but it doesn't bother me that much. The rear seats still feel nice and smooth and soft. Just not perforated since there's no ventilated seats back there.

I have an '18 Q7 and the front seats are ventilated but rear are just heated and it feels just the same as the M550i. It still feels like great quality. The difference between the front and rear because of the perforation is obvious but also doesn't bother me. The Audi also had the "upgraded" leather. They don't call it nappa or dakota, etc., but whatever it is, it's not standard leather. Maybe that makes a difference, the grade of leather.

Quote:
Well as I get into the car small things become more headshaking. The phone charger location was always a miss and yes it is now gone. With that said the "bucket" that is in it's place behind the cup holders is even more useless. Try to place your phone in it. A typical Ipgone or Samsunge barely fits and it is so much deeper that you cannot pick it up.
My "phone holder" is now the space that I make on the passenger seat by extending the leg support. LOL. It could have at least been built like my X5.

3 weeks into ownership. 300 miles on it as I have not been aroung to enjoy it.
My phone holder is in the side door where you would put a water bottle or something. Works fine for me when I have a passenger. I use Android Auto daily so keeping the phone on charger is ideal for me and the front only has the USB-A connector. But inside the armrest is a USB-C port and the rear has two C ports as well. Early on, I had a C cable from the rear running in between the armrest and the front seat and I'd charge my phone that way with better speeds. Now I may invest in a short, but good quality, C cable so I can fit my S10+ in the armrest without bending/snapping the cable attached to it while charging.

Quote:

Not OP but mine came with the Cinturato P7s, I believe. I am a bit worried about snow performance in Chicago as I previously had an E60 that was on some crappy Yokohamas throughout its life (changed twice) until I finally sprung for the CrossClimate2s, which were fantastic. Still not winters but very good ASs. Now that car is gone and so are those tires and I'm wondering if I'll be slip and sliding away with 500 horses on some mediocre AS tires in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #39
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
Not OP but mine came with the Cinturato P7s, I believe. I am a bit worried about snow performance in Chicago as I previously had an E60 that was on some crappy Yokohamas throughout its life (changed twice) until I finally sprung for the CrossClimate2s, which were fantastic. Still not winters but very good ASs. Now that car is gone and so are those tires and I'm wondering if I'll be slip and sliding away with 500 horses on some mediocre AS tires in the winter.
My concern about run-flats is possible stiffer ride and higher noise. Those concerns might be unfounded since I haven't driven a BMW with them. My dealer had no new M550s for me to test drive. The only M550 I have test driven was a used 2020 model which had non-run flat 19s. The ride and quietness was excellent with those.

The car I have on order will have run flat A/S 19s. Dealer says it will likely be Cinturato P7s or Continentals. I don't care much about snow traction but I would be disappointed if they are rough or noisy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #40
Cofveve12
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW550I

Garage List
2022 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Exclamation M550I surprises

Along with those features listed, I struggled to connect the hot spot. After many iterations with my BMW Genius and on-line support, I finally identified that all new 2022 BMW M550Is built on or after July 22, 2021 do not have hot spot capabilities. Those BMW models that do have a German subsidiary provider of T Mobile. No more AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #41
Jeffaz86
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Has anyone noticed that the LCI cold starts seem quieter than the pre-LCI? I had a 2018 M550i and just picked up my '22 and I was so bummed when I first started it up. I'm not sure if it's me or if the cabin is quieter but even my wife noticed and she is not in to cars at all.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa313.00
      10-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #42
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Why did BMW remove the soft close doors from the 2022 models? This is stupid!

Quote:
I have had ther car a couple of days but came out of a '19 M550. The following misses by BMW are a disppointment. I have had at least one BMW in my collection for 25 years.

I have air coolers in the front seats. The Nappa leatehr is perforted. The rear seating premium upgraded leather is not. It is smooth and not perforated, it does not match.
I now have a cable cluterring my cockpit to KEEP my phone charged as the wireless charging is gone. I realize that it would not charge a dead phone but learned quickly that it KEPT a charge on my phone.
I find that I close the doors softly forgetting soft close doors are no longer there to pull it shut softly.
The HUD which i keep to a minimum of clutter now has a speed limit sign next to the speed traveled as most minimal display.
The call log has decreased significantly.
The BMW recmmended PPF was not only istalled porrly with crease and orange peel (not on them) but the template has the seams meeting in the MIDDLE of the front air dam turrets. Very visible.

Don't get me wrong the car is great and I love it as my daily driver and sleeper. But BMW has dropped the ball on it's details.

I tried to upload some picks bu had an issue. I will share when I can get them up. BLK/BLK/Open Pore Grey/Blue capers.
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa313.00
      10-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #43
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

The 7-series have a matching even thus they don't have cooling in the rear.

Quote:
Here are the pics of the front and rear seats with different surfaces. Yes I understand why there are peforations. No I don't understand why rear seat could not match even if BMW cheapened out and did not include cooling them in the package.

Also I thought it was worth a laugh that my car was delivered with these on the passenger seat. Did'nt even notice until someone went to sit in it a day later.

The Expel PPF had creases and as noted the seams are now in the centers of the air dam turrets. Highly visible. The first attempt lef 1/4" gap at the seam.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:32 PM   #44
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman5593 View Post
Here are some pics of mine! Added some aftermarket exterior parts! Also added some catless Down pipes
Is that a 21? Which downpipes did you put on it
Appreciate 0