BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Run flat tires - don't like - don't see the advantages

11-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #45
AnthonyVincent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540i M Sport

I have 20 in staggered sizes

I need to really confirm, however the tires would be...

Front - Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35R20 95Y XL Star BMW
Rear - Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/30R20 97Y XL Star BMW

Those are non run flats. The run flats would be 245/35ZR20 and 275/30ZR20
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #46
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Ah, I didn't realize you had 20s. Stupid me....you said 20s in your first post. I am sure those Michelins are excellent performance tires. The comment from tire rack about harsh ride would be a deal breaker for me but they are the original equipment optional tire for your car.

Last edited by Brucelinc; 11-30-2021 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:53 PM   #47
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelinc View Post
Tire rack tests many tires and often uses a BMW as a test vehicle...
Except they use a 3-Series. Kind of an apples-oranges thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 12:33 AM   #48
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyVincent View Post
I have 20 in staggered sizes

I need to really confirm, however the tires would be...

Front - Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35R20 95Y XL Star BMW
Rear - Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/30R20 97Y XL Star BMW

Those are non run flats. The run flats would be 245/35ZR20 and 275/30ZR20
These are BMW star marked original equipment. These are what I'm riding on and love them. Supposedly the PS4S are replacing these, but I've been hearing that for a long time and tire rack seems to never run out of these star marked time tested tires.
      12-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #49
AnthonyVincent
Private
United_States
Rep

As I mentioned in a previous post, I opened a case with BMW. I received a call from a guy that stated he represents the manufacturer. I explained the situation and went into the fact that the two dealers were not aware of the Pirelli warranty, the fact that they both told me it is BMWs policy to not repair tires and I also sent him the Pirelli warranty in PDF form.

His responses astonished me. He said that the dealerships are independently owned and the manufacturer (BMW) is not responsible for their misguidance, decision or otherwise. He also said that BMW is not obligated to inform the customer about the Pirelli warranty since Pirelli is a separate company and it's their warranty.

I tried to explain that BMW chooses Pirelli and the tires are star rated for BMW. Couldn't reason with him so I realized it was a lost cause. Of course, he did offer an apology and thanked me for being a BMW customer. LOL

As soon as he finished with that fake apology, I calmly told him that he is full of S^&T and doesn't give a S^&T about me or anybody being a customer and is a weak man for following and accepting the deceitful practices of BMW whom is his employer. He responded by saying, "I'm sorry you feel that way". I responded and told him that he is not sorry for how I feel and told him that I felt sorry for his family or friends that may not know what a deceitful, weak, poor excuse for a human being he is. He then hung up on me which I expected from a coward that doesn't want to face the truth.

At this point, I am seriously considering selling/trading the car and going back to Lexus, specifically the LC500 hardtop. Totally different class of vehicle and in the 100K range. Sure, I can buy all new tires and so on. Or I can just purchase the one tire which is the least expensive solution.

Not bragging by any means but I worked hard all my life to be in a position to do what is best for me and my strong principles. This experience makes despise everything about BMW. I cannot enjoy that car. I walked out on my ex-wife in 2009 for being deceitful and will certainly disengage myself from BMW without hesitation or worrying about money lost from depreciation.

Last edited by AnthonyVincent; 12-01-2021 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #50
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Anthony, I'm sorry this did not work out in your favor.
However, I do appreciate the fact that you publicized the issue. It provided valuable information to me and to the other users.
So, thank you for that.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #51
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
As I mentioned in a previous post, I opened a case with BMW. I received a call from a guy that stated he represents the manufacturer. I explained the situation and went into the fact that the two dealers were not aware of the Pirelli warranty, the fact that they both told me it is BMWs policy to not repair tires and I also sent him the Pirelli warranty in PDF form.

His responses astonished me. He said that the dealerships are independently owned and the manufacturer (BMW) is not responsible for their misguidance, decision or otherwise. He also said that BMW is not obligated to inform the customer about the Pirelli warranty since Pirelli is a separate company and it's their warranty.

I tried to explain that BMW chooses Pirelli and the tires are star rated for BMW. Couldn't reason with him so I realized it was a lost cause. Of course, he did offer an apology and thanked me for being a BMW customer. LOL

As soon as he finished with that fake apology, I calmly told him that he is full of S^&T and doesn't give a S^&T about me or anybody being a customer and is a weak man for following and accepting the deceitful practices of BMW whom is his employer. He responded by saying, "I'm sorry you feel that way". I responded and told him that he is not sorry for how I feel and told him that I felt sorry for his family or friends that may not know what a deceitful, weak, poor excuse for a human being he is. He then hung up on me which I expected from a coward that doesn't want to face the truth.

At this point, I am seriously considering selling/trading the car and going back to Lexus, specifically the LC500 hardtop. Totally different class of vehicle and in the 100K range. Sure, I can buy all new tires and so on. Or I can just purchase the one tire which is the least expensive solution.

Not bragging by any means but I worked hard all my life to be in a position to do what is best for me and my strong principles. This experience makes despise everything about BMW. I cannot enjoy that car. I walked out on my ex-wife in 2009 for being deceitful and will certainly disengage myself from BMW without hesitation or worrying about money lost from depreciation.
I share your frustration. BMW is required to notify you of the tire manufacturers warranty. BMW did with my 530e, but I can't remember if it was in the manual with a link or a DVD or what at this moment. They included details on the various tire manufacturer warranties so I could look at the one covering mine if I desired, Goodyear. But I expect that few read the full stack of documents in this area.

What I don't think is OK though is the BMW Center not letting you know. They may not know the specifics of Pirelli warranty (or would want to guard themselves if Pirelli changes it), but I still think they should have said "Do you have any Wheel & Tire Protection or did you check with Pirelli to be sure they didn't include Road Hazard?". Passing the ball back to you where you can make a decision on checking if you care to do so or whatnot.

Legally, BMW isn't responsible for their dealerships, but they can intervene and make things right and they have levers to punish dealers to improve customer experiences...

But I have had annoying experiences with Mercedes too on stuff like this...

My car was a CPO and had just exited factory bumper to bumper coverage, but I had extended the CPO warranty so when my built in navigation decided to throw an error and no longer work right ahead of a road trip I took the car to the dealership.

After the dealership conducted their diagnostic they decided to not treat it was a warranty repair and stated that it must have been something I had done to the system to make it ask me for a map update file. I pointed out to the dealership that my navigation was covered. Even showed them the text of my Mercedes warranty directly and they still denied it unless I paid them for the repair! I paid for the repair due to my wife wanting it working before the road trip the next day.

Complained to Mercedes corporate and remained cordial. Got the same response from Mercedes. The dealership is independent and what annoyed me more they informed me that the dealership was the only one who could decide what the warranty covered. I explained how insane that was respectfully and ended the call very annoyed with Mercedes.

A few weeks after that call a check arrived from the dealership refunding me for the repair. So a message did get back to them I guess... I still had a sour taste in my mouth... BMW has soured my tastes too for reasons...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #52
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Although I'm glad I didn't order with all season because it then apparently permanently limits your top speed from the factory.
Eh, I didn't know that (my future M550ix will be equipped with OE A/S). The "normal" limit is 155, what is it for A/S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Why didn't you just order it with non runflats?
Currently only the 20" wheels are available with conventional tires in the 550. Only RFT is offered in the 540i. Natch these parameters change weekly it seems.

Quote:
As I mentioned in a previous post, I opened a case with BMW. I received a call from a guy that stated he represents the manufacturer. ... His responses astonished me. He said that the dealerships are independently owned and the manufacturer (BMW) is not responsible for their misguidance, decision or otherwise. He also said that BMW is not obligated to inform the customer about the Pirelli warranty since Pirelli is a separate company and it's their warranty.
This is all 100% accurate. I'm pretty sure that contained in your owner's portfolio is the warranty information for the brand of tire that was installed on your car. It's been common practice for decades that tire warranty issues are handled by the tire company, not the car company.

Quote:
That was pretty harsh. The dude works for his employer, and he has to say what they tell him to say. To do otherwise would be a disservice to you (as he would be providing inaccurate information) and would likely cause him to lose his job. And BMW is not being deceitful, nothing he told you was wrong.

I understand your frustration, but it's just mean to take it out on some poor customer service rep. IMHO.

Dare I suggest had you not burnt the bridge there and taken a more constructive and cooperative approach, BMW would have stepped-up and bought you a new tire.

As for the original topic, I concur that runflats are not great, but for some people (think single woman living or traveling through dangerous areas) they provide a certain level of security, knowing that you can still drive on a airless tire. And the technology has come a long way. Me personally, I'd still prefer to have conventional tires with a full-size spare, jack and wrench.

And as someone else noted, the suspensions are tuned for RFT, so it's not always an improvement to change to conventional. AMHIK.

Anyway... Anthony, I hope you enjoy your new Lexus.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Bobh5952.00
      12-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #53
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Eh, I didn't know that (my future M550ix will be equipped with OE A/S). The "normal" limit is 155, what is it for A/S?
I believe it is 129 (or 130) with the all season tires. Not sure if that is permanent or can be changed with a software update.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #54
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
I didn't realize the 540 could not be ordered with non run-flats and a spare. That kind of stinks which also means all 540's are limited to 130 mph which is fine, but I like know mine is limited to 155 mph even though I will never come close.
      12-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #55
AnthonyVincent
Private
United_States
Rep

LuvMyE92 - you say I was harsh to the rep? Were you on the phone with us? I started off very polite and he had a condescending and arrogant demeanor when he was deflecting blame to independently owned dealers and Pirelli. Didn't offer to call the dealers in an attempt to assist. Just absolutely did not care. I was fine until he offered the obligatory and fake apology. I would have preferred he say, " Sir, legally you have no grounds and if you don't like it, BMW will do fine without you being a customer". That is the truth and I respect that.

Also, there was no literature provided when I purchased the car regarding tire warranty - paper or electronic. It is not something I would really look for when buying a car because those warranties are useless unless there is a proven tire malfunction. Didn't think Pirelli would have a written warranty that would cover a screw.

Burning bridges? That is hysterical. Don't care. Absolutely don't care.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #56
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Nice one that's what I would have done F'em with their corporate BS.

QUOTE=AnthonyVincent;28313956]As I mentioned in a previous post, I opened a case with BMW. I received a call from a guy that stated he represents the manufacturer. I explained the situation and went into the fact that the two dealers were not aware of the Pirelli warranty, the fact that they both told me it is BMWs policy to not repair tires and I also sent him the Pirelli warranty in PDF form.

Not bragging by any means but I worked hard all my life to be in a position to do what is best for me and my strong principles. This experience makes despise everything about BMW. I cannot enjoy that car. I walked out on my ex-wife in 2009 for being deceitful and will certainly disengage myself from BMW without hesitation or worrying about money lost from depreciation.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #57
rschmidt624
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i w/ DHP

I went Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 and never looked back.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #58
NJJohn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550xi

Picked up my 2022 m550xi

What are thoughts about the GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric Runflats on 20inch rims?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 07:32 AM   #59
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I'm riding on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's 245/45/18 non-RFT's and am enjoying them except, like the PSS's on my previous 335d, seem to be "right there" when turning contributing to highway wandering feel. My alignment seems perfect and the tires perform really well otherwise.

Early on I hit a blind curb on a rainy dark night and Michelin, which has a road hazard warranty, replaced the tire (sidewall blowout) for no cost, including towing.

I bought the tires at Discount Tire but don't really trust them to be a precision all-around tire dealer as they don't do suspension work or even alignments. The local multistore tire supplier I used to use wanted to sell me new shocks at three different stores, which are definitely not needed, so I am without a good shop.

May try my next tires as Michelin run-flats for convenience if they are not too expensive.

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 12-19-2021 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 12:58 AM   #60
RigPig11
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

I don't mean to bring up some bad memories for Anthony but I wanted to bump this thread back up to the top as I am currently trying to decide what I should do. This thread was back in 2021 and now being mid-2023 I wanted too see if anyone is willing to share with my their experience with value of RFTs now that the Pirelli RFTs seem to be cheaper from what I am seeing.

For those that switched to non-RFTs are you still a believer?

For those who stuck with NFTs has the cost of replacing tires and the performance of the tires become any better over the past 2 years?

Also, I am considering purchasing the Tire and Wheel Insurance with my purchase but cant seem to find a price in the brochure on bmwusa.com so if someone knows the going rate right now that would be great.

Is the cost/benefit going with BMW worth it or should I shop that insurance with a 3rd party?

Thanks for any comments and sorry for once again bringing a dead horse back to life.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:11 AM   #61
RigPig11
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

Welp, I just did some digging on the vehicle I reserved and it is running with the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate A/S tires. Anybody have any experience with these?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 09:37 AM   #62
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

My 2019 540xi has OEM Goodyear All Seasons, but not "Exhilarate"--they are Eagle Sports. They are adequate for my driving, but when they expire I, like several others mentioned, will switch to Michelin A/S4+ZPs. I have the Michelins on my Corvette and have had them on other cars. Unlike many here, I am a big fan of runflats. They have saved me a couple of times. One winter night I was driving to a dinner party and hit a piece of jagged concrete broken off a curb. The dashboard lit up and said I had lost air in the left front tire. I drove on to the dinner, drove home then drove to the dealer the next morning. The tire was toast--the first hit caused a two inch gash in it--and the wheel was slightly bent, but they did their jobs. --Bob
Attached Images

06-20-2023, 02:39 PM   #63
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Run-flats are for people who can't seem to find the number of a flatbed tow truck or have bought into the fear their dealer sold to them.

I'm especially sorry for those with M550is who opt for RF tires. What a total waste when you could be getting MUCH better performance.

As for an independent using the 'right' tools to change a tire, it's not difficult to see who uses Hunter machines. It's right on Hunter's website.

This isn't rocket science. You're not driving a Bugatti.

Michelin PS4S are the defacto tires that make the driving experience even better.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 02:40 PM   #64
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig11 View Post
I don't mean to bring up some bad memories for Anthony but I wanted to bump this thread back up to the top as I am currently trying to decide what I should do. This thread was back in 2021 and now being mid-2023 I wanted too see if anyone is willing to share with my their experience with value of RFTs now that the Pirelli RFTs seem to be cheaper from what I am seeing.

For those that switched to non-RFTs are you still a believer?

For those who stuck with NFTs has the cost of replacing tires and the performance of the tires become any better over the past 2 years?

Also, I am considering purchasing the Tire and Wheel Insurance with my purchase but cant seem to find a price in the brochure on bmwusa.com so if someone knows the going rate right now that would be great.

Is the cost/benefit going with BMW worth it or should I shop that insurance with a 3rd party?

Thanks for any comments and sorry for once again bringing a dead horse back to life.
On my F10 535i I switched to the Michelin PS4 when the Michelin ROF's wore out. I was not a fan. They felt squishy and turn-in was not as sharp. I went back to the factory Michelin ROF's when the PS4's wore out and am quite satisfied. When the Continental ROF's wear out on my G30, I'll replace them with the Michelin ROF's. The Continental's give-up pretty early in the corners.

The suspension was designed & tuned with ROF's in mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 03:36 PM   #65
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
On my F10 535i I switched to the Michelin PS4 when the Michelin ROF's wore out. I was not a fan. They felt squishy and turn-in was not as sharp. I went back to the factory Michelin ROF's when the PS4's wore out and am quite satisfied. When the Continental ROF's wear out on my G30, I'll replace them with the Michelin ROF's. The Continental's give-up pretty early in the corners.

The suspension was designed & tuned with ROF's in mind.
where did you read that it was tuned with RFT in mind? thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 04:38 PM   #66
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
where did you read that it was tuned with RFT in mind? thanks in advance!
That's the way manufacturers do it. They don't just throw shocks and springs on a corner and send the car down the line. Tires are part of the suspension, so their characteristics must be considered when calibrating shock and spring values. A few fellow car owners and I got to interact with one of the suspension engineers (IIRC, his name was Jonathon Crocker) from a little known F1 team (Michael Schumacher) when he went to work for Lincoln developing the LS. He gave us quite a bit of insight in all that goes into suspension design/calibration.
Appreciate 0