BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions (Edit: got it to work) Tried Launch Control but I'm not sure I did it right.

09-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
ryanasimov
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

(Edit: got it to work) Tried Launch Control but I'm not sure I did it right.

2021 540i RWD. I tried it two times, actually, because the first time I'm pretty certain I didn't press the brake and gas enough; my car is RWD so I got a lot of wheelspin and very high revs. The second time (after waiting more than 5 minutes) I really mashed the brake and pushed the gas pedal past the resistance point. The revs rose then settled down to around 2000 but I never saw the checkered flag. After a couple of seconds I released the brake because I was worried I was stressing the drivetrain. I felt strong acceleration, but since I never saw the flag indicator I don't know if I got the full effect.

Last edited by ryanasimov; 09-09-2021 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanasimov View Post
2021 540i RWD. I tried it two times, actually, because the first time I'm pretty certain I didn't press the brake and gas enough; my car is RWD so I got a lot of wheelspin and very high revs. The second time (after waiting more than 5 minutes) I really mashed the brake and pushed the gas pedal past the resistance point. The revs rose then settled down to around 2000 but I never saw the checkered flag. After a couple of seconds I released the brake because I was worried I was stressing the drivetrain. I felt strong acceleration, but since I never saw the flag indicator I don't know if I got the full effect.
Did you press the traction control (one press), put into sport plus, manual shift mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
ryanasimov
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_T View Post
Did you press the traction control (one press), put into sport plus, manual shift mode?
Forgot to mention that! Yes, I turned TC off, put it in Sport mode, and moved the shifter left (to manual).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #4
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

1. Did you have the break in service yet? I think it's typically enabled after the first service.
2. I believe you have to drive at least 5 miles before it works - meaning even if you start the car and warm it up for 5 minutes without driving it will not work.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
ryanasimov
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
1. Did you have the break in service yet? I think it's typically enabled after the first service.
2. I believe you have to drive at least 5 miles before it works - meaning even if you start the car and warm it up for 5 minutes without driving it will not work.
1250 miles on the odometer, and the car had been running for 30 minutes when I tried LC.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Sorry for asking more questions but you come close to telling us what you’re doing…but you keep missing (or leaving out) some specific details that leave (at least me) puzzled if you are following the exact launch sequence.

For example, you wrote:
“The second time (after waiting more than 5 minutes) I really mashed the brake and pushed the gas pedal past the resistance point.”
When the specific details for launching is:
car MUST be at operating temps…and you MUST have driven at least 5-6miles
The “waiting 5 minutes” instruction comes into play AFTER the car has warmed up and you’ve driven at least 6 miles.

Then you wrote:
” Yes, I turned TC off, put it in Sport mode, and moved the shifter left (to manual).”
Launch mode requires that you turn TC off and move the shifter into Manual mode…BUT…you have to select SPORT+ driving mode (not SPORT). Launch mode requires the SAT (sport automatic transmission)…and with that comes the SPORT+ selectable option.

If you don’t have SPORT+ mode…then that may be why you’re not seeing the checkered flag.

Can you clarify the correct operating temp, the correct amount of miles required to be driven prior to launch, and that you have the SAT…with the additional SPORT+ driving mode?

From my owners manual:
Requirements
Launch Control is available when the engine is warmed up, that is, after uninterrupted driving of at least 6 miles/10 km. To start with Launch Control do not steer the steering wheel.

Start with launch control While the engine is running:
  1. Press DTC button or select with the Driving Dynamics Control Sport+.
    TRACTION is displayed in the instrument cluster and the indicator lamp for DSC OFF lights up.
  2. Engaging the transmission position into the S/M gate
  3. With the left foot, forcefully press down on the brake.
  4. Press and hold down the accelerator pedal beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position. A flag symbol appears in the instrument cluster.
  5. The starting engine speed adjusts. Within 3 seconds, release the brake.

Before using Launch Control, allow the transmission to cool down for approx. 5 minutes. Launch Control adjusts to the surrounding conditions, e.g., wet pavement, when used again.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-08-2021 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #7
TreyWaters
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Forgot to mention that! Yes, I turned TC off, put it in Sport mode, and moved the shifter left (to manual).
That may be part of the problem - you don't turn Traction Control off. Only DSC (Dynamic Stability Control). Follow the instructions in the manual, which Qsilver7 kindly copied here, and you should be good...again, assuming you've got the right setup.
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i - Silver / Red (2006-2009)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #8
ryanasimov
Rep

Thanks to all that helped! Tried again and was more assertive with brake and gas pedal pressure; it goes against my instincts to push them both at the same time when I've spent 4 decades of driving using only my right foot for either one for normal driving!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #9
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Quote:
Thanks to all that helped! Tried again and was more assertive with brake and gas pedal pressure; it goes against my instincts to push them both at the same time when I've spent 4 decades of driving using only my right foot for either one for normal driving!
(only to be tried on a track disclaimer etc etc) try braking with your left foot to get that extra sub micro second response when negotiating an apex/ corner etc
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00