BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla P85D Acceleration

02-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #45
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Efthreeoh,
You keep bringing up points that are very irrelevant in everyday live
Yes, it will take you longer to charge than fill up gas when you are on road trips
I can assure you, it's not an issue with most Tesla owners
After driving 250 miles and 4-5 hours, most people need to stop and eat or use bathroom
So if you need to stop twice to get your snack, of calm your kids, on let's say 750-mile trip, so be it.
You get FREE charging, while you have your lunch or dinner
I'm sure kids are happier when they stop for 30-40 min instead of 5
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Efthreeoh,
You keep bringing up points that are very irrelevant in everyday live
Yes, it will take you longer to charge than fill up gas when you are on road trips
I can assure you, it's not an issue with most Tesla owners
After driving 250 miles and 4-5 hours, most people need to stop and eat or use bathroom
So if you need to stop twice to get your snack, of calm your kids, on let's say 750-mile trip, so be it.
You get FREE charging, while you have your lunch or dinner
I'm sure kids are happier when they stop for 30-40 min instead of 5
I think it's relevant that there are more gas stations than supercharger stations, and gas stations are spread all over the country (i.e. not just on heavily traveled interstates).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #47
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Valid point
It's not going to be that quick, so yes your math is right, there are more stations to fill up gas
A lot of them already installing charging stations however
There is also CHAdeMO that is very powerful Level 3 charging (pretty close to Supercharger)
It's growing rapidly, so people with electric cars do not feel constrained.
On the side note, some gas stations are closed at night, but you really dont need anyone by electric plug. Just stop and plugin

I hope it didnt come out as charging is more convenient on the trip (though it is in some cases), and it does require a bit of planning
I'm just saying it became manageable now, and quickly improving
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #48
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Valid point
It's not going to be that quick, so yes your math is right, there are more stations to fill up gas
A lot of them already installing charging stations however
There is also CHAdeMO that is very powerful Level 3 charging (pretty close to Supercharger)
It's growing rapidly, so people with electric cars do not feel constrained.
On the side note, some gas stations are closed at night, but you really dont need anyone by electric plug. Just stop and plugin

I hope it didnt come out as charging is more convenient on the trip (though it is in some cases), and it does require a bit of planning
I'm just saying it became manageable now, and quickly improving
The point about gas stations closing is true but you can still get gas at many of them by just using a credit card.

Don't get me wrong I love the tech behind electric cars but the infrastructure isn't there yet for widespread consumption.

I can't go a day without seeing at least one Model S around here but when I visit my family 2 hours south, nada.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #49
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
True
But just like infrastructure wasn't there for gas, back in days, it's not on the same level with electric.
Tesla made it a lot more comfortable to travel.
Now, building gas stations is one thing, but building charge points is a much much less involving process
Hotels are now installing them, gas stations, shopping malls, etc
This will grow a lot quicker than gas stations pace was
I went to Boston just recently. I parked in the lot and plugged in
On the flip side. There were no gas stations in the area
Go figure
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #50
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Well that argument is null to me since if I were to have Tesla, it would be for commutes for daily life. If the wife and I were to go on a trip, then we'd take the gas powered vehicle. Which we hardly ever go anywhere as a matter of fact and if we do, its a ~6 hour flight. So all the $$$ we'd save from the daily commutes would pay for the trip we'd take in the gas powered vehicle. Don't forget Tesla is doing the battery swap program.....

Electric cars are not going to replace the old combustion engine for a very, very long time but in between now and then, Tesla is setting the first few steps towards that becoming reality.
Appreciate 0