BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lexus

03-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Deleted
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
ToothDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 TTS, CLA 45 AMG

Nothing new here.... Lexus has generally been #1 for reliability since they came out. I own a BMW (X5M) and it's been a little bit of a headache. In the last two years, I've had broken links in the anti-roll bar, broken rear cam, passenger air bag issues, driver mirror, engine burning up the oil, and a faulty battery. My Lexus in the last 7 years had... umm.. nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Deleted
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

The GS-F is currently sitting on the top of my DD wish list, followed by the GS-350 F-Sport. I just wish they'd put the GS-F's engine in the GS-350s body.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Driven the recent Lexus line-ups and their handling, vehicle dynamics and drive feel has improved significantly. Especially the IS and RC. With BMW cheapen the interior (e.g. X3, and base 3 series), Lexus is on my radar while comparing these vehicles.

The biggest problem I have with BMW was their interior material quality, until you spent more. And the change to Electric Steering.
      03-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I would definitely consider a Lexus. My BMW was far and away the most unreliable and troublesome car I've owned (out of over a dozen). It was in the shop more than ten times in three years. Totally unacceptable but I really liked the car. A shame, really.

I would love an IS350 AWD but I'm a little concerned over rear space and the price of entry is steep.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Lexus was named most reliable brand by JD Power and Associates for 2015,who will consider a more reliable brand on there next vehicle purchase and would Lexus be on your radar now that you know this?
Lexus always rank high in reliability so it's nothing new.

I'd still rather walk than drive one.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

only if you plan on keeping the car long and worried about resale over 4+ years. i had a gs350 f sport for 9 months and sold it due to its drive and power. i would easily pick a 535i over it anyday, thats just my .02
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
That's a bit harsh, considering I owned an ISF in the past and it was every bit as good as my m3, and more reliable.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I don't think I'd ever own a Lexus due to them not selling any manual transmission cars, but if Toyota still built exciting cars like they did in the 90s (MR2 Turbo, Supra MKIV, Celica All-Trac) I never would have started buying ///M cars over 10 years ago. I've owned 3 MR2 Turbos highly modded, and an MKIV Supra with a T-88. What an amazing car that was, spinning the wheels in high third gear and hanging with 1000cc bikes at the 1/4 track was a blast. Never had a single issue either with it, an absolute tank.

Toyota just fell off in 1998 with the death of the Supra in NA, they haven't made a fun car for our market since. I've been looking into the idea of getting a RH drive import, but need to do more research. I guess there's a certain time limit which must pass before the cars can be imported to the USA. I'd love to get a late generation All-Trac or Supra MKIV. Newer cars, especially BMWs, don't interest me. I'll keep my Z4M until the wheels fall off, then that's it for me and BMWs. The new ones are pigs and piles of garbage. BMW engineers can't seem to make a water pump/oil pump/turbos/bearings/anything last longer than 50k miles anymore.

The only thing which has saved me from massive BMW repair bills (blown S54 motors for instance) has been the warranty. I had to have been out of my mind to mod out my last 135i as much as I did, but it wound up being a great car for the 55k miles for which I owned it. I won't be touching anything motor wise in my latest Z4M, except for probably replacing the rod bearings out of precaution at 60k miles(!!!). What a joke.

Last edited by NickyC; 03-02-2015 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Lexus always rank high in reliability so it's nothing new.

"I'd rather walk than be stuck in sown with RWD", says the Audi guy.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #12
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
That's a bit harsh, considering I owned an ISF in the past and it was every bit as good as my m3, and more reliable.
Just my opinion. I can't stand the way they look or how their infotainment system works.

In F-Sport trim they're great to drive though, but I just couldn't drive one everyday.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
I don't think I'd ever own a Lexus due to them not selling any manual transmission cars, but if Toyota still built exciting cars like they did in the 90s (MR2 Turbo, Supra MKIV, Celica All-Trac) I never would have started buying ///M cars over 10 years ago. I've owned 3 MR2 Turbos highly modded, and an MKIV Supra with a T-88. What an amazing car that was, spinning the wheels in high third gear and hanging with 1000cc bikes at the 1/4 track was a blast. Never had a single issue either with it, an absolute tank.

Toyota just fell off in 1998 with the death of the Supra in NA, they haven't made a fun car for our market since. I've been looking into the idea of getting a RH drive import, but need to do more research. I guess there's a certain time limit which must pass before the cars can be imported to the USA. I'd love to get a late generation All-Trac or Supra MKIV. Newer cars, especially BMWs, don't interest me. I'll keep my Z4M until the wheels fall off, then that's it for me and BMWs. The new ones are pigs and piles of garbage. BMW engineers can't seem to make a water pump/oil pump/turbos/bearings/anything last longer than 50k miles anymore.

The only thing which has saved me from massive BMW repair bills (blown S54 motors for instance) has been the warranty. I had to have been out of my mind to mod out my last 135i as much as I did, but it wound up being a great car for the 55k miles for which I owned it. I won't be touching anything motor wise in my latest Z4M, except for probably replacing the rod bearings out of precaution at 60k miles(!!!). What a joke.
Deleted
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
These are the stories of cars that is pushing customers away from bmw.....they have ignored some pretty basic engineering problems as stated in your thread and many others.......fine and dandy when under warranty but once out of warranty many cars just have way too many problems that keeps this brand from being a reliable choice and as the saying goes"once bitten,twice shy" will surely make one time owners just that...one time owners,but I guess that is the risk bmw has taken by not building them more reliable,they know what their issues are and now it's up to them to address and solve them.
I'm not holding my breath....I have not made up my mind yet if I will jump ship but the future is surely headed that way,we'll see once I'm in the marketplace for a new car.
Indeed, along with the price. New cars are just becoming waaaaay overpriced, I guess when you now push car loans out to 84 and 96 months, any Tom Dick & Harry can afford one. It's going to be more fun for the economy when the subprime auto debt blows up (already running at a 9% 60 day deficiency rate). I think the Chief of sales for Honda in the USA came out last month and said the industry should enjoy the sales while they last, because they are setting themselves up for a huge fall with all the subprime auto lending.

As I said above too, new cars just don't interest me all that much. The only ones I'd even care to own are so expensive it will never happen. I'm just not interested in iDrive, internet, paddle shifters, and all the crap that takes away from the feel of being one with a car. With all the tracking and monitoring devices they'll be placing in cars in the years going forward, there is no way in hell I'm buying new. I'm kind of excited to feel this way, knowing I'm going to be saving money going forward on my vehicle purchases since I'll be buying used!

Last edited by NickyC; 03-02-2015 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:35 AM   #15
ai388
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

other than being reliable, nothing from Lexus is appealing to me. old engines, old technology, same old plastic interior just like our family's 15 year old Toyota. just my own opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Me and my buddy spent some time at the Lexus dealer on Sat. checking out the RC and the IS. We both agreed they nailed the interiors and exteriors. Miles ahead of the competition in the interior especially. The problem I keep coming back to is, reliable as it is, the performance of that 3.5L is way long in the tooth. They're using it in this newer, heavier model and the performance has suffered. I want the mechanics of the car to perform as good as the rest of it looks and they just haven't given that to me yet. Rest assured, when those two come together, I will be in a Lexus. You just can't beat their service, period.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

With the new LS new modular platform and new engines are coming.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #18
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

No, not even if I was shopping in a segment with a contending Lexus model. Why?

What Lexus is doing right:
-Exterior styling. Brash, sharp, not a loaf of white bread cut in different lengths.
-Interior materials.
-Chassis tuning.
-Reliability.

What Lexus is doing not so right, according to me:
-Their powertrains and drivetrains are simply outclassed at the moment.
-Infotainment ergonomics are poor.
-Interior styling is cool, but not up to class rivals.

They've made big strides over the past decade and a half by stripping away past stereotypes of being the "Me-too" budget Mercedes brand. Ironically, their styling is some of the boldest and most original when stacked against relevant competitors. I like that.

But I'm not happy with their engines and transmission, nor would I be happy being in those cabins for years to come due to my styling preferences and inability to warm up to that weird mouse.

The appeal keeps improving with each new model though.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
No, not even if I was shopping in a segment with a contending Lexus model. Why?

What Lexus is doing right:
-Exterior styling. Brash, sharp, not a loaf of white bread cut in different lengths.
-Interior materials.
-Chassis tuning.
-Reliability.

What Lexus is doing not so right, according to me:
-Their powertrains and drivetrains are simply outclassed at the moment.
-Infotainment ergonomics are poor.
-Interior styling is cool, but not up to class rivals.

They've made big strides over the past decade and a half by stripping away past stereotypes of being the "Me-too" budget Mercedes brand. Ironically, their styling is some of the boldest and most original when stacked against relevant competitors. I like that.

But I'm not happy with their engines and transmission, nor would I be happy being in those cabins for years to come due to my styling preferences and inability to warm up to that weird mouse.

The appeal keeps improving with each new model though.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0