BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos BBS files for bankruptcy

07-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #23
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

It only makes since with the pandemic going on. They've not gone out of business, just told their creditors they cant be paid back yet. If everything goes well they'll stick around and no ones wheels will suddenly become priceless lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
It only makes since with the pandemic going on. They've not gone out of business, just told their creditors they cant be paid back yet. If everything goes well they'll stick around and no ones wheels will suddenly become priceless lol
I have to wonder if a reason for their struggling business is the loss of OEM markets. BBS wheels used to be a "thing", but OEM sales is by far the biggest money-maker for auto companies and if you start to lose the OEM sales, things tend to get hard real fast. I'd imagine auto manufacturers went to other cheaper sources for wheels and BBS wasn't able to survive on the "trickle" of aftermarket sales. I know of more than one company that have blamed their failure on COVID, but in reality they were just walking dead-men and already done for.
      07-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #25
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
I have to wonder if a reason for their struggling business is the loss of OEM markets. BBS wheels used to be a "thing", but OEM sales is by far the biggest money-maker for auto companies and if you start to lose the OEM sales, things tend to get hard real fast. I'd imagine auto manufacturers went to other cheaper sources for wheels and BBS wasn't able to survive on the "trickle" of aftermarket sales. I know of more than one company that have blamed their failure on COVID, but in reality they were just walking dead-men and already done for.
I'm sure that has something to do with it. The pandemic has certainly put an end to a lot of businesses whether they were struggling before or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #26
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Honestly, I was in the tire\wheel business in the early 2000's, and BBS was by far the most expensive wheels in the normal market (of course there are niche markets out there where it can get a lot more expensive), and for what they offer, massively overpriced. They banked on big spenders making up for the lack of volume to prop up their profits, but obviously it has not worked, also they want to be seen as a permium wheel so if they lowered their prices it would work against that, despite the fact that you can get better forget wheels for half or more of what their wheels go for. It was only a matter of time before that bit them in the ass, and its not the first time they've been in a financial bind. They need to restructure their marketing and start cutting prices and rely on volume vs exclusivity if they want to prosper, but it may be too late for that sadly.

On the flip side, even if they did go bankrupt, you can guarantee some chinese company will buy them out and just start pumping out cheaper wheels hoping the brand name alone will keep sales up on an inferior\cheaper product.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:33 AM   #27
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
Honestly, I was in the tire\wheel business in the early 2000's, and BBS was by far the most expensive wheels in the normal market (of course there are niche markets out there where it can get a lot more expensive), and for what they offer, massively overpriced. They banked on big spenders making up for the lack of volume to prop up their profits, but obviously it has not worked, also they want to be seen as a permium wheel so if they lowered their prices it would work against that, despite the fact that you can get better forget wheels for half or more of what their wheels go for. It was only a matter of time before that bit them in the ass, and its not the first time they've been in a financial bind. They need to restructure their marketing and start cutting prices and rely on volume vs exclusivity if they want to prosper, but it may be too late for that sadly.

On the flip side, even if they did go bankrupt, you can guarantee some chinese company will buy them out and just start pumping out cheaper wheels hoping the brand name alone will keep sales up on an inferior\cheaper product.
I was about to say the same thing. They really need to drop prices of their aftermarket wheel brands and get their internal situation under control as there seems to be a lot of mismanagement going on at BBS.

Local US companies are destroying them in sales as the customers say it costs the same or less as BBS and they get a choice to customize too.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #28
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

FYI - Just caught this post from their Instagram account:

There have been many media reports about BBS GmbH filing for Insolvency last week. Unfortunately, some of the reports have inaccurate information or mis-leading information.⁣

As many of you already know, BBS is made up of two separate companies; BBS GmbH and BBS Japan. To minimize confusion, we have detailed a message below to explain and clear up some of the mis-information.⁣

Last week BBS GmbH filed for Insolvency and released an announcement in an email to all their customers and partners.⁣

We want our customers and business partners to know that BBS of America is stable and will continue to move forward as normal. ⁣

The overall downturn of the European OE business has affected BBS GmbH’s OE business and the temporary shutdown due to Covid-19 pandemic have created an even greater challenge for BBS GmbH. As a result, BBS GmbH has filed for Insolvency. Prior to the pandemic, BBS had planned to restructure the size and scope of the business, shifting the business to service more aftermarket customers and reduce the dependence on OE business.⁣
Production of all BBS products will continue with no disruption to BBS aftermarket or OE customers.⁣

It should be noted that BBS Japan and BBS Motorsport are a separate company from BBS GmbH and are not involved in the Insolvency of BBS GmbH.⁣

BBS of America will continue to operate as normal without any supply disruption.⁣
BBS programs with NASCAR and Formula 1 for 2022 are not affected by this insolvency.⁣

We appreciate everyone’s continued support for our brand. Feel free to contact Craig Donnelly or Jesse Hemans if you have any questions.⁣

BBS of America, Inc. www.bbs-usa.com 800-422-7972 marketing@bbs-usa.com
Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
GORDON.M31403.00
      07-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #29
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#5e2b666c3949
      07-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #30
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

love bbs love my lm-r's can't think of anything else I would put on my ride.
Appreciate 0