BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Idrive 7 retrofittable at some point?

12-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #23
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Let me know how that works out for you.
If you have done at least one full retrofit with coding and wireing you would know what I am talking about. So you go ahad and buy a brand new car instead
I already have one, thank you. Plus I have absolutely no desire to retrofit my M550i just for iDrive 7 Lite.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:04 AM   #24
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Due to loads of problems with the ID7 in my Oct 19 530e from delivery, the dealer got advice from Germany and they said do a complete software reinstall. This sorted the problems.

The dealer showed me a confidential BMW document which sets out the functionality that the current G30 will never have - essentially it’s the “Intelligent Functions” “In Car Experiences” and “Remote Software Upgrade”. These will never be available on the current cars as the required hardware is not installed.

The dealer told me that they and BMW regretted installing ID7 lite in the G30 as it is causing issues and owners are disappointed that all the functionality isn’t available because the marketing material doesn’t make this clear. The restricted ID7 is also on the current G31, F90, G32, GO1 & GO2 and they Also will never receive the full ID7 system.

Coming from 6 previous Merc’s I think even the ‘“lite” version is superior and functions unavailable are essentially gimmicks.
Appreciate 2
Bymep132.00
      12-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #25
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Due to loads of problems with the ID7 in my Oct 19 530e from delivery, the dealer got advice from Germany and they said do a complete software reinstall. This sorted the problems.

The dealer showed me a confidential BMW document which sets out the functionality that the current G30 will never have - essentially it’s the “Intelligent Functions” “In Car Experiences” and “Remote Software Upgrade”. These will never be available on the current cars as the required hardware is not installed.

The dealer told me that they and BMW regretted installing ID7 lite in the G30 as it is causing issues and owners are disappointed that all the functionality isn’t available because the marketing material doesn’t make this clear. The restricted ID7 is also on the current G31, F90, G32, GO1 & GO2 and they Also will never receive the full ID7 system.

Coming from 6 previous Merc’s I think even the ‘“lite” version is superior and functions unavailable are essentially gimmicks.
I would agree with most of those being gimmicks. Remote Software Upgrades would be the only feature I would be interested in, but that's a questionable on how useful it would be.

I do agree iDrive 7, even the G30 lite version, is better than the MB Comand system or Mercedes MBUX.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #26
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

I prefer ID6 by a long mile. I recently drove a 330i G20 loaner and was not impressed by the full version of ID7. Worst offender was the ridiculous reversed cluster gauges which are hard to read at a quick glance.

It was nice to get back into my '17 with proper round gauges and ID6.

Will gladly wait for ID8 or ID9 in the future.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      12-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #27
Zacccccp
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Why would you want to?

You could be right, but there could also be a change in the mounting points, wiring harness, etc.

Really, I think the iDrive 7 sucks and that was one reason I bought a 2019 instead of waiting for a 2020. My car is in the shop right now so I've got an X5 loaner with iDrive 7 and I hate it, hate it, hate it.

What did u hate? Besides the gauge cluster of course
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #28
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

In regards to my earlier post about iDrive 7:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacccccp View Post
What did u hate? Besides the gauge cluster of course
No, it was just the gauge cluster. Once you figure out how to turn most of it off, it's not so bad.

But I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the increasing unwanted technology. Yeah, I know that the active safety features (like collision avoidance) is beneficial for most people too busy texting to be bothered with driving. But for me, it's those unexpected braking events that scare the crap out of and annoy me tremendously. I can't turn that off without also turning off the blind spot warning, which is something that I actually use.

But that's not iDrive and I fear I have gone way OT.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #29
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:

But for me, it's those unexpected braking events that scare the crap out of and annoy me tremendously. I can't turn that off without also turning off the blind spot warning, which is something that I actually use.
I am finding this a bit annoying too. I've had the car brake hard on two occasions when reversing onto my driveway, and it's frightened the life out of me.

Both times I was moving incredibly slowly and there was nothing at all behind me. It was such an unexpected sudden stop, I felt like I'd hit something.

Might have to turn it off if it keeps happening.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #30
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

No, it was just the gauge cluster. Once you figure out how to turn most of it off, it's not so bad.

But I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the increasing unwanted technology. Yeah, I know that the active safety features (like collision avoidance) is beneficial for most people too busy texting to be bothered with driving. But for me, it's those unexpected braking events that scare the crap out of and annoy me tremendously. I can't turn that off without also turning off the blind spot warning, which is something that I actually use.

But that's not iDrive and I fear I have gone way OT.
I'll have to check the car next time I'm in it, but I remember you can turn off Frontal Collision Avoidance while leaving Blind Spot Detection on in my MY2020 w/ iDrive 7 "Lite".
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #31
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas387 View Post
I am finding this a bit annoying too. I've had the car brake hard on two occasions when reversing onto my driveway, and it's frightened the life out of me.
I was driving in my 530e with my wife and 2 kids on the outskirts of a town and at around 30mph car applied full brakes without any indication. All I could see was pedestrian warning sign on live cockpit while there was no one in front of the car- probably it must have read some road sign/banner or saw some ghost crossing street. Luckily there were no cars behind me or else it would have been messy. Though these assist system could be life saving, a glitch could also take some one's life.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #32
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbhp View Post
I was driving in my 530e with my wife and 2 kids on the outskirts of a town and at around 30mph car applied full brakes without any indication. All I could see was pedestrian warning sign on live cockpit while there was no one in front of the car- probably it must have read some road sign/banner or saw some ghost crossing street. Luckily there were no cars behind me or else it would have been messy. Though these assist system could be life saving, a glitch could also take some one's life.
There was a John Phillips column in whatever magazine he wrote for, years ago, when he was testing a new car (not BMW) with this feature, and in the middle of nowhere with no traffic it did the same as you describe.

For me, usually when it happens, I am preparing to change lanes, turn, etc. and before I can make the move, the car thinks I'm going to hit whatever is in front of me in that lane, and brakes. If I know this might happen, I drive with one foot on the brake to prevent that. But that's awkward, and annoying and unnecessary.

I had a service loaner that tried to kill me several times with the automatic lane keeping function before I figured out how to turn it off.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Xbhp13.00
      01-02-2021, 02:22 AM   #33
robinio
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover06 View Post
Why your sport mode is white? Mine is red
Diesel engine probably.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #34
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover06 View Post
Why your sport mode is white? Mine is red
Diesel engine probably.
It will be retrofittable now yes, but you will also need a new Amplifier and booster, abs potentially a new ATM unit. You're looking at 1500-2000 parts plus labour and coding, so let's say 2500

At that point on a 2 year old or kore car, it's probably better to trade in for the LCI
Appreciate 0