BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Digital TV - "no signal"

07-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
Mr.Scully
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i xDrive

Digital TV - "no signal"

Hi guys, I've purchased a G30 540i xDrive recently. It's two years old and already without any warranty so before I visit our local overpriced and usually useless authorized BMW dealer I'd like to know your opinion.

The car has a (digital) TV tuner - is it DVB-T or DVB-T2? I couldn't find the specification anywhere. Anyway, it doesn't work - when it searches for available programs it does find about 60+ TV stations but doesn't list the station titles and ends up with a "no signal" fault. What's wrong? If the tuner didn't work it wouldn't find the 30+ TV stations, right?

(The car is German and when I was driving it in Germany one TV station did work for a while - ZDF HD. After some time I wasn't able to tune it anymore. When I arrived in my country (Czech Republic) nothing worked. (I tried to switch the area between "Automatic" and "Central Europe" but got the same result in both cases.

I'm pretty sure our country provides both DVB-T and DVB-T2 broadcast so that shouldn't be a problem. Also many stations are found. So why do I get the "no signal" message? Is there something I might have overlooked or something I might be doing wrong - or is the authorized dealer the only place where they could solve it?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
PBF042
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 LCI-2 Competition Pack

Hi Mr. Scully. Have you been able to solve your situation? I've exactly the same. Recently bought a used BMW in Germany where the TV (DVB-T2) functionality was working. Back home in The Netherlands nothing is working anymore. During a scan I can see the system finds TV and Radio stations, but after the scan the system ends up with a "no signal" message and no channels in the list.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 04:39 AM   #3
Mr.Scully
Czech_Republic
Rep

Not yet :-( I think the first step should be finding out whether G30 has a DVB-T or DVB-T2 tuner (both are digital). Then the second step is finding out which TV stations in our countries are available for free. And a third step - to find out if it's possible to purchase a prepaid card/module for catching signal of paid TV stations.

In any case it's good to hear I'm not the only one - clearly the TV tuner isn't broken, it's just an issue with lack or free TV stations? I'm willing to pay for a CI+ module to access more channels but nobody seems to want my money
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
psu
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G31 - BMW 5-serie 540i xDrive

i’m very interested to follow this one...

I will receive my 540i as well from Germany in some weeks, I’m very interested what you both find out. would love to add a ziggo card ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
PBF042
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu View Post
I will receive my 540i as well from Germany in some weeks, I’m very interested what you both find out. would love to add a ziggo card ;-)
A Ziggo card will not work. The only provider in The Netherlands that provides a DVB-signal is KPN with Digitenne. A couple of weeks a go KPN switched off DVB-T and is only offering DVB-T2. With the change to DVB-T2 KPN is also no longer offering Smartcards for a CI+ Module anymore. So in The Netherlands we can only watch the Free-to-Air channels in our BMWs

The FTA channels are: NPO 1, NPO 2, NPO 3 and the local TV stations (check: https://www.digitenne.nl/blog/gratis-tv-kijken/).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
PBF042
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scully View Post
Not yet :-( I think the first step should be finding out whether G30 has a DVB-T or DVB-T2 tuner (both are digital). Then the second step is finding out which TV stations in our countries are available for free. And a third step - to find out if it's possible to purchase a prepaid card/module for catching signal of paid TV stations.

In any case it's good to hear I'm not the only one - clearly the TV tuner isn't broken, it's just an issue with lack or free TV stations? I'm willing to pay for a CI+ module to access more channels but nobody seems to want my money

According to the official BMW parts website (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_2640) the TV module is always a DVB-T2 version (I've selected the earliest available G30 540i xDrive of 11-2015).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Mr.Scully
Czech_Republic
Rep

Thanks, that's good to know.

According to my research most of Czech TV stations are currently broadcasting (for free) in both DVB-T and DVB-T2 format in the same time (DVB-T will be switched off later this year). So it's still a mystery why I'm not able to watch the free programmes.

(It's also weird that the BMW tuner does find plenty of stations - without names - but doesn't offer them).

Should I start searching for some local CI+ module/card/whatever? That might be the solution? (But we have only providers offering cards for DVB/S/S2, the terrestrial broadcast is free).

edit: for the Czech broadcast the tuner must be able to tune in the UHF "zone" (channels 21-59, channel width 8MHz) and it must be able to devoce HEVC. I have absolutely no idea whether the BMW tuner is compatible with that but I assume it should be!

Last edited by Mr.Scully; 08-07-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
Mr.Scully
Czech_Republic
Rep

A fellow owner of BMW (not sure which model or iDrive version) suggested that his TV tuner started working after he performed a factory reset in iDrive - apparently a menu item hidden somwhere outside the standard menu, somewhere below "teletext" (?). I don't remember any such setting but surely a factory reset can't make things worse so I will try to find it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:31 AM   #9
dtubin
Registered
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 530xd

Same problem here in Slovakia - car imported from Germany. Let me know if you manage to fix it
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
Mr.Scully
Czech_Republic
Rep

That's really weird. Seriously nobody's TV in G30 is working properly? Or does it at least work in the car's country of origin?

I noticed that the software/firmware in all my "head units" is from 2017 (and some cannot be upgraded due to some unknown ethernet/flexray communication faults) so I'm going to try to upgrade all the (31?) head units to the latest software and we will see. (Not that I could do it myself but I have friends who are experts and might be able to).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
Mr.Scully
Czech_Republic
Rep

We have managed to solve the issue but you're probably not gonna like the solution

We have simply upgraded the car's firmware - all 32 (?) head units, it took us about two hours and it required skills, software and hardware belonging to a very experienced programmer (a friend of mine). It also included some moments of fear when the head unit stopped communicating but it all had a happy ending. The TV works just fine (about 15 channels here in CZ) without any additional settings.

So that might be a solution for you - either have a very experienced friend or just drive to the authorized service where they will charge something around 200 EUR I think and they should be able to upgrade the whole car's firmware to the latest version available.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #12
dtubin
Registered
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 530xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scully View Post
We have managed to solve the issue but you're probably not gonna like the solution

We have simply upgraded the car's firmware - all 32 (?) head units, it took us about two hours and it required skills, software and hardware belonging to a very experienced programmer (a friend of mine). It also included some moments of fear when the head unit stopped communicating but it all had a happy ending. The TV works just fine (about 15 channels here in CZ) without any additional settings.

So that might be a solution for you - either have a very experienced friend or just drive to the authorized service where they will charge something around 200 EUR I think and they should be able to upgrade the whole car's firmware to the latest version available.
Not really what I hoped to hear but a solution none the less, thanks a lot!
I wonder if i can pull it in for service repair as it is still under warranty. I did play with e-sys with my F10, not sure i'd do the same with the new one.
I am actually also hoping that firmware upgrade would improve driving assistant plus but not sure if i am wishing too much.
Thx once more.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #13
Dgleich
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP MY17

I have the same problem in my F82 M4, car imported from Germany non working TV in Croatia. Is there any easier/faster solution than flashing all the modules?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #14
m5_2000
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

I have the same issue as the majority of you. TV showing no signal. It finds stations all fine, and then once it completes it just pops back to no signal.

I have tried resetting the tv/video module by using ista+ and tested a number of other features. I think it must be firmware.

Mr.Scully, your friend do you know what he used to flash firmware? Did he update the firmware on all the modules? I am thinking its a firmware issue .
Attached Images

Last edited by m5_2000; 11-15-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #15
m5_2000
Rep

I also did find a noted issue in ista+ as per attached which i think may be related?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
VVlasy48.00
      11-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #16
PBF042
Netherlands
Rep

Hello everyone,

In the meantime I had some other "issues" appearing with my car related to the entertainment system. This week I brought my car to the BMW shop and they have done a full firmware/ software update of the car. I've received a call this afternoon that the TV function is properly working again and it displays the Free-to-Air (FTA) channels now. The service guy read out one of the BMW service bulletins where was mentioned that DVB-T2 functionality is not properly working. An update should fix it. The BMW shop confirmed it and I'll check it when I collect my car from the BMW shop.

The other issues I have with the NBT2 EVO unit:
  • iPhone connected via Bluetooth and playing a video on the iPhone. The Audio is not in sync with the video. If I connect the iPhone via the USB cable than audio is in sync.
  • DAB radio. At random the channel logo disappears when it was displaying it before. Switching channels makes it come back.
  • DAB audio volume is much lower than FM volume. You notice this when switching between DAB and FM.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #17
m5_2000
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBF042 View Post
Hello everyone,

In the meantime I had some other "issues" appearing with my car related to the entertainment system. This week I brought my car to the BMW shop and they have done a full firmware/ software update of the car. I've received a call this afternoon that the TV function is properly working again and it displays the Free-to-Air (FTA) channels now. The service guy read out one of the BMW service bulletins where was mentioned that DVB-T2 functionality is not properly working. An update should fix it. The BMW shop confirmed it and I'll check it when I collect my car from the BMW shop.

The other issues I have with the NBT2 EVO unit:
  • iPhone connected via Bluetooth and playing a video on the iPhone. The Audio is not in sync with the video. If I connect the iPhone via the USB cable than audio is in sync.
  • DAB radio. At random the channel logo disappears when it was displaying it before. Switching channels makes it come back.
  • DAB audio volume is much lower than FM volume. You notice this when switching between DAB and FM.
That makes a lot of sense now. When you collect the car see if you can find out what bulletin they were referring to? I am beginning to think it is a firmware issue on the actual head unit which will solve it. It seems the video/tv module can find the channels and when it completes its search it then just stalls and displays no signal. I reset the module and all the of tests of the module have shown no issues or faults. I have also experienced the volume difference between DAB and FM.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 06:19 AM   #18
m5_2000
Rep

Ok so I solved the issue. I updated the tv video module firmware with esys now everything is working perfectly will update some photos shortly 👍
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #19
m5_2000
Rep

Photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #20
m5_2000
Rep

Photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #21
Aolaechea01
Rep
Drives: F36 to change for f16

Help

Hi guys please could you help me with the remote Coding with esys. I could pay for the service.
Actually i change the module of tv ( here in PERU is isdb-t) and all is working except the signal ( the same problem that you report).
Please your help!
Thanks
Appreciate 1
VVlasy48.00
      10-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #22
VVlasy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i xDrive GC with MPPSK

For anyone who stumbles upon this I want to provide more details.

I retrofitted an iDrive 6 unit into my f36 2016 that had NBT Evo ID4++. I only noticed this issue with an empty channel list even though tuning finds many channels recently. I scoured many forum posts that said to code this and that (in NBT->TV->2A UNKNOWN) but nothing worked

I kept putting away flashing as I had previously flashed istep in all units to 18-07.

I went back now with the latest istep ready (20-07) and went through TAL calculation but TV module was not in the list to be flashed. I had my old SVT_tal. Found the TV_MODULE line, now that I had the ecu id swfl (000030B2) and the previous swfl version number (06-000-011) I just searched my SWE/SWFL folder for this id and found a newer version (06-000-013).

So I manipulated the SVT_tal and changed to the version I found.

Since it was minor version change I ignored prerequisites and went ahead and flashed. After flashing I reset ignition. And restarted NBT one more time. Now when I auto tuned channels, after it finished the list was finally populated.

I have attached a manipulated SVT_tal with just the TV_module and prerequisites. And the SWFL but as .pdf. When you download it change the extension to .zip.

Tags: NBT Evo iDrive 6 iDrive 5 TV Module Channel list no channels missing channels
Attached Images
File Type: pdf swfl_000030b2_006_000_013_.zip.pdf (10.71 MB, 697 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip SVT_tal_tvmodule_xml.zip (2.2 KB, 386 views)
Appreciate 0