BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

02-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #661
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPod View Post
Salty Dog and Sedan_Clan

Have you ever stopped a bicyclist and gave him/her ticket/warning for a violation?
e.g. riding on pedestrian crossing or sidewalk or weaving through traffic lanes etc?

Are there any unwritten rules that you follow RE: bicyclists in general ?

Thank you!
I laid ton's of charges on bicycle couriers in downtown Toronto, usually for red lights, riding on the sidewalk and if they really failed the attitude test no bell.

Bicycles are governed by the same rules of the road as cars as a bicycle is considered a vehicle under the Highway Traffic Act.
Appreciate 5
upstatedoc7555.50
vreihen1614883.50
OrcaPod73.50
Dang3r12503.00
xander_g962.50
      02-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #662
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
I just try not to hit them
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
OrcaPod73.50
      02-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #663
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I just try not to hit them
Have you ever been unsuccessful?
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #664
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Salty Dog and Sedan_Clan

Have you ever stopped a bicyclist and gave him/her ticket/warning for a violation?
e.g. riding on pedestrian crossing or sidewalk or weaving through traffic lanes etc?

Thank you!
TONS! Bicycles are a drug dealer's and gang member's primary mode of transportation. Like Salty Dog stated, bikes are governed by many of the same rules as vehicles. Additionally, city/county municipal codes also target the operation of bikes. Knowing what is/isn't allowed gives me PC to jam up riders who often have dope and guns. This proves especially true when you find people on bicycles in the early morning hours.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
OrcaPod73.50
      02-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #665
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Quote:
Salty Dog and Sedan_Clan

Thank you!
I laid ton's of charges on bicycle couriers in downtown Toronto, usually for red lights, riding on the sidewalk and if they really failed the attitude test no bell.

Bicycles are governed by the same rules of the road as cars as a bicycle is considered a vehicle under the Highway Traffic Act.
I hate those fuckers. They want the rights to be on the road and to be respected, but fail to follow most rules of the road.

I've seen countless bicyclist dipshits running stop signs and red lights, and ofcourse no LEOs around at that moment.

Fuckin hate them, no wonder everyone else does too.
Appreciate 4
NEFARIOUS431.00
Merlin_83471.00
xander_g962.50
paquet629.50
      02-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #666
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
I hate those fuckers. They want the rights to be on the road and to be respected, but fail to follow most rules of the road.

I've seen countless bicyclist dipshits running stop signs and red lights, and ofcourse no LEOs around at that moment.

And cyclists bitch about not being respected in America, "like they are in Europe" they always say with a sanctimonious anti-American sneer. Yeah, go to Europe once. You'll quickly see how they follow the rules of the street there, and don't run lights. If there's a bike lane, they stay in it. They don't ride on the sidewalks, either.
premier3is1627.00
NEFARIOUS431.00
Salty Dog3572.50
Merlin_83471.00
paquet629.50
      02-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #667
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I have a really dumb question. What is the handheld device that these officers accidentally gave out the password to in this FOIA body camera video at time index 15:30? Is it a parking ticket terminal, or something else?

https://youtu.be/GW-6y3JmSwg?t=924
      02-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #668
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I have a really dumb question. What is the handheld device that these officers accidentally gave out the password to in this FOIA body camera video at time index 15:30? Is it a parking ticket terminal, or something else?

https://youtu.be/GW-6y3JmSwg?t=924
I'm not sure. My department doesn't use anything in the field that has a password like that.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      02-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #669
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:

And cyclists bitch about not being respected in America, "like they are in Europe" they always say with a sanctimonious anti-American sneer. Yeah, go to Europe once. You'll quickly see how they follow the rules of the street there, and don't run lights. If there's a bike lane, they stay in it. They don't ride on the sidewalks, either.
Exactly. All bicyclists do is bitch and fuckin complain yet feel like they exempt from the law. Morons I tell you.

The worst ones are the ones driving on the lanes when there isn't a bike lane, and have a trail of cars behind them and won't move to the side.
Appreciate 1
NEFARIOUS431.00
      02-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #670
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly. All bicyclists do is bitch and fuckin complain yet feel like they exempt from the law. Morons I tell you.

The worst ones are the ones driving on the lanes when there isn't a bike lane, and have a trail of cars behind them.
It's just common courtesy to pull over and let people pass rather than to hold them up, regardless of what sort of vehicle you're operating. Bicyclists have a reputation for discourtesy and entitlement that's well-deserved.

In the '90s I was a serious competitive cyclist. But during that same period I was also a professional truck driver. So I had a different perspective on things regarding rules of the road. I'd get into it all the time with serious "roadies" who were European road racer wannabes.
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #671
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The worst ones are the ones driving on the lanes when there isn't a bike lane, and have a trail of cars behind them.
It's just common courtesy to pull over and let people pass rather than to hold them up, regardless of what sort of vehicle you're operating. Bicyclists have a reputation for discourtesy and entitlement that's well-deserved.

In the '90s I was a serious competitive cyclist. But during that same period I was also a professional truck driver. So I had a different perspective on things regarding rules of the road. I'd get into it all the time with serious "roadies" who were European road racer wannabes.
Atleast you were a cyclist who understood there's others around you. I'd be fine if they showed common courtesy and respect, but most don't. Most of these clowns are fully geared up looking like tools thinking they in the Tour de France or some bullshit lol.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #672
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Atleast you were a cyclist who understood there's others around you. I'd be fine if they showed common courtesy and respect, but most don't. Most of these clowns are fully geared up looking like tools thinking they in the Tour de France or some bullshit lol.
Yeah, agree 100%. There's a huge poser factor, especially among the "roadies." I was a mountain biker. After a day in the truck I wanted to get as far away from cars and idiot drivers as I possibly could.
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-26-2020, 05:44 AM   #673
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Most cyclists respect the cars they share the road with. Or else they die. Some act like they are too cool for school, and they give the others a bad name.

All up, I say more power to the bikers; at least they aren't polluting our world, and the world of our children. They deserve our thanks for that.

Murf
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #674
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:

I give you a lot of credit. It's a tough job to begin with. Damn 4 wheelers that don't know how to share the road with trucks make it more difficult. I know flames are coming my way about the big bad trucks. Yes, there are some bad apples out there that give all a bad name but I cringe at what I see everyday on the road. I know some of it is ignorance which should be fixed by driver education but lots of it is just arrogance, stupidity and in general drivers today have no regard for rules of the road. They are more concerned with texting than they are with driving.
      02-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #675
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Very interesting post!

So a couple of things: I try to as much as possible respect and honor LEO, I'm over 45 so some of it is maturity and situational awareness of all persons.

For context to my question below, here is some background story.

When I first got my M3 (7 years ago) - on an early Sunday morning, dry day and warm out, no other cars present. I was traveling in a 40 MPH speed zone, for just a second I blipped the throttle and almost instantly reached 80 MPH. This was literally for 3 seconds, then slowed back down to 42-43 MPH.

I get almost a mile away and a cruiser has his lights and siren on. I pull over and the officer thanked me for slowing down. Said, sir, "you could have easily outrun me", I said I didn't know he was in pursuit. He was hiding way back up in an awkward place for him to get out, so it took him a while to catch up. He sees my plate, and here in Oregon you can pay extra and have the money go to police and fireman organizations. And yes you get a little picture of police and fireman and on the plate, it says Honoring their Service. Sure I got it in hopes it could provide some leniency for just such a situation. The cop was nice and I was polite, in the end though gave me a ticket.

I was pissed afterward since the speeding was such a short moment. I hired an attorney, which turned out to be stupid since when I met with the attorney at court he presented me with a printout. He said so here's your driving record going back 15-20 years. He said, there's not one violation on it. And I said I know I always have tried to be a very safe and alert driver. The judge said to go to Saturday driving school and after one year of no moving violations, it will be expunged from your record. That was 7 years ago and I have maintained a perfect record.

My question and comments are:

Why did the cop not just warn me and let me go versus citing me? I'm sure he ran a records check and understood my record to be stellar.

This situation is exactly why people don't like cops. Had he warned me, I would have acknowledged this and as demonstrated not done it again.

Also, by and large - the police and Sherrif deputies here in my county are young, arrogant and come off like bullies. This is not just my observation, but many other people I know. And I am not a minority, I can only imagine how they feel.

I feel sorry for cops, they often deal with many people on their worst day. The pay is meager, benefits are likely very good. But life/family balance must be very challenging.

When I was a kid I remember a lot of older cops being really good guys, and now it seems like many are in the line of work for the opportunity to be in the ultimate position of power and hassle people, and then enforce the laws at their discretion.

Cheers,
Merlin

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #676
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
Very interesting post!

So a couple of things: I try to as much as possible respect and honor LEO, I'm over 45 so some of it is maturity and situational awareness of all persons.

When I first got my M3 (7 years ago) - on an early Sunday morning, dry day and warm out, no other cars present. I was traveling in a 40 MPH speed zone, for just a second I blipped the throttle and almost instantly reached 80 MPH. This was literally for 3 seconds, then slowed back down to 42-43 MPH.

I get almost a mile away and a cruiser has his lights and siren on. I pull over and the officer thanked me for slowing down. Said, sir, "you could have easily outrun me", I said I didn't know he was in pursuit. He was hiding way back up in an awkward place for him to get out, so it took him a while to catch up. He sees my plate, and here in Oregon you can pay extra and have the money go to police and fireman organizations. And yes you get a little picture of police and fireman and on the plate, it says Honoring their Service. Sure I got it in hopes it could provide some leniency for just such a situation. The cop was nice and I was polite, in the end though gave me a ticket.

I was pissed afterward since the speeding was such a short moment. I hired an attorney, which turned out to be stupid since when I met with the attorney at court he presented me with a printout. He said so here's your driving record going back 15-20 years. He said, there's not one violation on it. And I said I know I always have tried to be a very safe and alert driver. The judge said to go to Saturday driving school and after one year of no moving violations, it will be expunged from your record. That was 7 years ago and I have maintained a perfect record.

Why did the cop not just warn me and let me go versus citing me? I'm sure he ran a records check and understood my record to be stellar.

This situation is exactly why people don't like cops. Had he warned me, I would have acknowledged this and as demonstrated not done it again.

Also, by and large - the police and Sherrif deputies here in my county are young, arrogant and come off like bullies. This is not just my observation, but many other people I know. And I am not a minority, I can only imagine how they feel.

I feel sorry for cops, they often deal with many people on their worst day. The pay is meager, benefits are likely very good. But life/family balance must be very challenging.

When I was a kid I remember a lot of older cops being really good guys, and now it seems like many are in the line of work for the opportunity to be in the ultimate position of power and hassle people, and then enforce the laws at their discretion.

Cheers,
Merlin
You're assuming quite a bit about many things. While I understand your frustration, you sound entitled. An officer doesn't have to warn anybody, and can choose to cite EVERYBODY. His reason for pulling you over was justified, and you noted that he was nice/cordial. How was that "hassling" or a power play? His/her job is to enforce traffic law(s). That's part of what we're paid to do (...and my base pay is a six figure number, so not meager by any means, and I'm not even at top step yet; overtime only sweetens the deal). You mention enforcing laws at our discretion, but that only seems to work for you when you are the one who benefits. Had he just given you a verbal warning, you wouldn't have had any issue(s) with the Officer/Deputy exercising his or her latitude. Why the double standard?!?

In any case, any time somebody is held accountable, we become bullies, power hungry people who were nerds in high school, dumb high school jocks or any/every other ridiculous stereotype. Being disliked, but expected to fix everybody's problems comes with the territory.
Appreciate 4
Salty Dog3572.50
cmyx6go15561.50
vreihen1614883.50
      02-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #677
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Very interesting post!

Cheers,
Merlin
You're assuming quite a bit about many things. While I understand your frustration, you sound entitled. An officer doesn't have to warn anybody, and can choose to cite EVERYBODY. His reason for pulling you over was justified, and you noted that he was nice/cordial. How was that "hassling" or a power play? His/her job is to enforce traffic law(s). That's part of what we're paid to do (...and my base pay is a six figure number, so not meager by any means, and I'm not even at top step yet; overtime only sweetens the deal). You mention enforcing laws at our discretion, but that only seems to work for you when you are the one who benefits. Had he just given you a verbal warning, you wouldn't have had any issue(s) with the Officer/Deputy exercising his or her latitude. Why the double standard?!?

In any case, any time somebody is held accountable, we become bullies, power hungry people who were nerds in high school, dumb high school jocks or any/every other ridiculous stereotype. Being disliked one moment, but expected to fix everybody's problems comes with the territory.
Stupid jockcops doing squats in my curl rack

SARCASM
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #678
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Stupid jockcops doing squats in my curl rack

SARCASM
Is that donuts I smell on your breath officer?
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17872.50
      02-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #679
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:

In any case, any time somebody is held accountable, we become bullies, power hungry people who were nerds in high school, dumb high school jocks or any/every other ridiculous stereotype. Being disliked, but expected to fix everybody's problems comes with the territory.
I was only doing 80 for a few seconds.....reminds me of the old joke about the copper doing a traffic stop on a guy who rolls a stop sign and explains that he slowed down so what's the difference, the copper says I'll take out my baton and start hitting you....do you want me to "stop or slow down"?
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24809.50
OrcaPod73.50
vreihen1614883.50
paquet629.50
      02-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #680
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Quote:

I was only doing 80 for a few seconds.....reminds me of the old joke about the copper doing a traffic stop on a guy who rolls a stop sign and explains that he slowed down so what's the difference, the copper says I'll take out my baton and start hitting you....do you want me to "stop or slow down"?
Nice analogy!!! Lol!
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      02-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #681
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I give you a lot of credit. It's a tough job to begin with. Damn 4 wheelers that don't know how to share the road with trucks make it more difficult. I know flames are coming my way about the big bad trucks. Yes, there are some bad apples out there that give all a bad name but I cringe at what I see everyday on the road. I know some of it is ignorance which should be fixed by driver education but lots of it is just arrogance, stupidity and in general drivers today have no regard for rules of the road. They are more concerned with texting than they are with driving.
Thanks. In the vast majority of car-truck accidents, it's the car driver's fault according to the NHTSA data.
      02-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #682
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Very interesting post! ...

I get almost a mile away and a cruiser has his lights and siren on. I pull over and the officer thanked me for slowing down....

Cheers,
Merlin
We all have stories like this, so it's just too easy to dismiss this one as a case of privilege or arrogance. I have a few more if needed!

One sunny Sunday morn before 9a on the Taconic Parkway (a road lined with towns that feed off of the parkway traffic), I was traveling for many miles with a huge SUV in front of me, and the same behind me. The cop pulled me, saying I was going fastest.
1) This was obviously a 'convoy'. Pull the leader?
2) Why pull the safest vehicle, a sports sedan, rather than the huge trucks which are so much more dangerous to self & others, & more likely to have children inside?

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 02-26-2020 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0