BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Upgrade gps map not working from bmw

05-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2018 G31

Upgrade gps map not working from bmw

Hi guys

In my g31 i have the map 2019-1 evo europe

I have download the laste map available in bmw connect drive that is 2019-2 and format a pen and install there.

Put in car, the usb see the map, say to install and when i will install it say wrong code and does not install...

The download is genuine in bmw database and i see in the files that i have in a file my vin in usb pen...

Also, everytime in the pass that i download the new map it send me a code that is always the same, this time does not send me...

Any ideias that what is append

In past i have done in the same way without any problems, also in my f11.

Any help will be very apreciated
      05-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunosa View Post
Hi guys

In my g31 i have the map 2019-1 evo europe

I have download the laste map available in bmw connect drive that is 2019-2 and format a pen and install there.

Put in car, the usb see the map, say to install and when i will install it say wrong code and does not install...

The download is genuine in bmw database and i see in the files that i have in a file my vin in usb pen...

Also, everytime in the pass that i download the new map it send me a code that is always the same, this time does not send me...

Any ideias that what is append

In past i have done in the same way without any problems, also in my f11.

Any help will be very apreciated
No one????
Please
      05-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Are you downloading the maps from Connected Drive desktop app or website? I know the download will work for one VIN only. Worth checking you've got those details correct.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
bojler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Just updated my car maps to 2019-2 Europe. USB image was created via BMW Download Manager tool on computer and I logged in to my BMW ConnectedDrive account, where my car is saved, so the image was created specifically for my car. Update took about 25 minutes, image size was 33GB, so I needed to use 64GB usb drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojler View Post
Just updated my car maps to 2019-2 Europe. USB image was created via BMW Download Manager tool on computer and I logged in to my BMW ConnectedDrive account, where my car is saved, so the image was created specifically for my car. Update took about 25 minutes, image size was 33GB, so I needed to use 64GB usb drive.
Yes

I have done like that to, download manager and format a 64 pendrive, it detect and when it should start it say wrong code!
      05-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Are you downloading the maps from Connected Drive desktop app or website? I know the download will work for one VIN only. Worth checking you've got those details correct.
Yes that is true, inside it was a file name fsc with my vin inside...thats correct and i have download by download manager...
      05-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes that is true, inside it was a file name fsc with my vin inside...thats correct and i have download by download manager...
I'm assuming the download manager unzipped the files into your drive after downloading?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm assuming the download manager unzipped the files into your drive after downloading?
Yes my friend...

But now i remenber something..

I have code bmw carplay full screen, can be possible reset also the vin code and now i have to clear the vin file? The usb can t have the file with my vin?

Can this make sense? Now i can install every map?
      05-07-2019, 12:34 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

What did you code exactly? There in lies the problem I suspect. Map downloads as far as I can tell from this website seem to work ok.

I'm not an expert cider but if you detail exactly what you have done others may be able to help. But certainly getting it back to stock might be a good start potentially?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
bojler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

If you will take the car to the BMW service and tell them your iDrive is freezing from time to time, the first thing they will do is update the iDrive to the latest firmware, which will revert everything to default settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
I don't understand why any of this is necessary. All of the maps in my vehicle are self-updating over the air. That's the entire point of having the subscription.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #12
nunosa
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I don't understand why any of this is necessary. All of the maps in my vehicle are self-updating over the air. That's the entire point of having the subscription.
Hi

In portugal i think i dont have that! Or just maybe i dont know how to turn on that...

But i think foruns is for share problems and help everyone...

If i know i help...not only were but everyplace...

Just an opinion ok
      05-08-2019, 12:36 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep

The over the air updates are just smaller updates as opposed to the complete updates which around 30Gb or so in size.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:47 AM   #14
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OTA updates are applied to a small local area as opposed to USB updates to country map or in my case Western Europe.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #15
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
OTA updates are applied to a small local area as opposed to USB updates to country map or in my case Western Europe.
Ah, I see. It was also my understanding that the car will automatically send out OTA updates which in turn meant I don't ever have to worry about updating my navigation.

So do we in the US have to physically update it as well then I wonder?

I was recently browsing through everything and snapped a picture of the software version for my navigation. Can anyone in the US confirm this is the software version they have?
Attached Images

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
AP
Major General
Rep

Updating is optional but I would suggest you do so you have the latest maps to reflect any changes in road layouts.

Did you manage to code back to original to determine if that fixed the issue for you?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #17
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Quote:
Ah, I see. It was also my understanding that the car will automatically send out OTA updates which in turn meant I don't ever have to worry about updating my navigation.

I was recently browsing through everything and snapped a picture of the software version for my navigation. Can anyone in the US confirm this is the software version they have?
There'll definitely be a newer version of maps as yours is couple of years old. I currently have 2019-2 Western Europe. I would have thought US would be similar.

Btw, you haven't had any OTA updates based on your photo. If you had one, they show up separately.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Quote:

There'll definitely be a newer version of maps as yours is couple of years old. I currently have 2019-2 Western Europe. I would have thought US would be similar.
The auto update map feature is region-specific. In order to change the region, you have to go to the BMW Connected Drive website and change it there.

Note that there are at least four or five regions in the US alone.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      05-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The auto update map feature is region-specific. In order to change the region, you have to go to the BMW Connected Drive website and change it there.

Note that there are at least four or five regions in the US alone.
OTAs are smaller than the selected region. It's more localised.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #20
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
guess next time I go to dealer I can just ask them for a full update as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #21
AP
Major General
Rep

You can certainly ask them for advice but the download is for your car only from the connected drive website. Suggest take a 64gb usb drive with you, make sure you have your credentials and hopefully one of the staff members can help you out. At least if it doesn't work the dealers will see it and they could log a call with bmw themselves hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #22
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
guess next time I go to dealer I can just ask them for a full update as well?
I suppose you can ask for a full iDrive update. Dealers over here aren't keen to do it unless there are issues as it takes time.

Alternatively, you can easily do it yourself via the Connected Drive website. Process is pretty straightforward. Just need a drive that can hold about 35gb.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00