BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding CarPlay & wireless signal display

05-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
CarPlay & wireless signal display

Hello!

I just joined the G30 platform from many other BMWs, last being the F80. In iDrive 5, when I was hooked up to CarPlay, the main BMW display would have the wireless signal strength in the top right corner (as well as above the home button when you're actually IN the CarPlay environment).

Now with my G30 and iDrive 6 - the wireless signal strength is no longer on the BMW screen, only in the CarPlay screen when I'm connected to CarPlay. Works fine if i'm only connected with bluetooth without carplay.

So is this a CarPlay thing? iDrive 6 thing? iOS 12.3 thing?

Anyone else have this issue. Happy to share pics if you don't understand.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:59 AM   #2
bojler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

I’m sure this is iDrive6 feature, they simply forgot (or did it on purpose) to include signal strenght while connected via CarPlay.

Btw I personally switched back from CarPlay to standard bluetooth connection. For me, navigation from phone is useless since it’s not possible to display commands from it in head-up display. And since I don’t use Siri, there is no other good reason to have phone connected via CarPlay. The only other app I use is Spotify and that work’s great directly.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojler View Post
I’m sure this is iDrive6 feature, they simply forgot (or did it on purpose) to include signal strenght while connected via CarPlay.

Btw I personally switched back from CarPlay to standard bluetooth connection. For me, navigation from phone is useless since it’s not possible to display commands from it in head-up display. And since I don’t use Siri, there is no other good reason to have phone connected via CarPlay. The only other app I use is Spotify and that work’s great directly.
You're sure this is, or you think? i.e. when you connect to your car play do you have signal strength in the top right in any BMW screen (main, maps, etc)?

I was CarPlay's worst critic, but I have learned to use it and live with it, as its phone and iMessaging is better than BMWs.

Nav on the phone is useless compared to BMWs, but when you use to find locations (faster and more up to date) using the iPhone, you can simply just send to BMW apps using CarPlay Map which is an ingenious feature.
Appreciate 0