BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW's marketing division out of control?

04-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
///M///M Good
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: people nuts

BMW's marketing division out of control?

Anyone besides me think that BMW has over-complicated their naming and options systems to the point of being confusing and annoying for customers? For example,

1) The 8 and 6 series cars are/were coupes only and 5 and 7 series cars are/were sedans only, but 1's and 3's are both and there are no 2's or 4's. (If BMW had named the 1 coupe the 2, they would've avoided the headaches and ulcers they're getting over what to name the upcoming "M" version of the 1 series.)

2) If the M division is BMW's in-house tuner, what is BMW Performance? Also, why do the M Sport Packages from the factory offer NO mechanical upgrades to some of the vehicles they're offered on (like the 135 & 335)? If you want mechanical upgrades on those, you've either got to get BMW Performance parts (which cannot be installed on the assembly line, but can be ordered and installed before delivery allowing the factory warranty to cover those also) or order the "is" version - or both. But be careful what color you want with your M Sport package, because you can't get it with some colors (Crimson Red is perfectly fine on a 135i M Sport, but not on a 128i M Sport or a 335i M Sport) . . . AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Welcome to the automotive industry where logic is an accident.
      04-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes. To make it even more simple I would name all (x) Series just B(x), so as we have X1, X3, X5, X6, Z4, Z2. The Coupe and Convertible must have pair numbers (0, 2, 4, 6, 8), and the Sedan and Wagon unpair numbers (1, 3, 5, 7).
Appreciate 0