BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions What egt are you seeing?

10-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

What egt are you seeing?

I finally setup bimmerlink, catching the data on my phone using the obdlink ex wired connection, and a Teleadapt USB to usbc adapter. The bimmerlink was like $30 so an inexpensive way to see what's going on with your vehicle.

I have heat treated RVG 200 downpipes and a tune and under partial throttle saw temps hit 740C, quite high! Cruising in 63F, I saw low 500 to mid 500s. Another odd thing was when switching to sport plus, egt also jumped up, consistently in the 600s.

I'll be getting a new tune in 2 weeks from ECC but I'm starting to think my new downpipes already are failing. Anyone else seeing high egt on their lci n63B motor ( or any n63)?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

I think that’s on the high side for a turbo charged EGT… for part throttle. You did a tune, it’s not gonna run within stock parameters.

Excessive heat is caused by a lean condition. You always can fatten up the AFR to cool off those exhaust temps In the throttle range that concerns you…. if you think it’s too hot.

When you say You think your down pipes are failing, I’m not familiar with the part you referenced, is that a high flow cat? Sometimes aftermarket catalytic converters aren’t the best quality And can fail prematurely. What are the symptoms that make you think They are failing? My experience with converters that have failed, the car starts really bogging down under accel

One more thing, if you’re down pipes have catalytic converters, the catalytic converters themselves should not be coated. Coating cats will trap in excessive heat and Will prematurely destroy the converters
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 01:01 PM   #3
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M550i View Post
I think that’s on the high side for a turbo charged EGT… for part throttle. You did a tune, it’s not gonna run within stock parameters.

Excessive heat is caused by a lean condition. You always can fatten up the AFR to cool off those exhaust temps In the throttle range that concerns you…. if you think it’s too hot.

When you say You think your down pipes are failing, I’m not familiar with the part you referenced, is that a high flow cat? Sometimes aftermarket catalytic converters aren’t the best quality And can fail prematurely. What are the symptoms that make you think They are failing? My experience with converters that have failed, the car starts really bogging down under accel

One more thing, if you’re down pipes have catalytic converters, the catalytic converters themselves should not be coated. Coating cats will trap in excessive heat and Will prematurely destroy the converters

Ya, thanks for the input. I mean it's tough to say but I don't think the car is bogging down unless I'm going part throttle- in that scenario the car is not smooth. I let ECX
C about the current condition but I feel many tuners just want to sell what they have and answer minimal questions. Hopefully they can help reduce temps.

The RVG pipes comes with the 'heat shield' the same aluminum foil looking shield we often see on downpipes. I just coated over that shielding with Ceratoke. ECC warned me about cheap Cc failure, basically these cc just melting especially when there's pops and bangs dumping excess fuel in. The new tune will fully eliminate pops and bangs as well.

Anyone else have temps?
Appreciate 1
2022M550i3034.00
      10-21-2023, 01:34 PM   #4
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If its boggy at part throttle and EGT is high, you need to fatten up the fuel. Every engine is different and you need to give it what it wants. If you can data log sensor activity at various throttle conditions, send that info to the tuner and have them modify accordingly.

I will normally put the car on a dyno and tune for maximum brake torque at varios throttle and load conditions…give it what it needs. Once you hit max brake torque, richen up fuel and take out a few degrees timing for safety at each throttle and load condition
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 03:17 PM   #5
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M550i View Post
If its boggy at part throttle and EGT is high, you need to fatten up the fuel. Every engine is different and you need to give it what it wants. If you can data log sensor activity at various throttle conditions, send that info to the tuner and have them modify accordingly.

I will normally put the car on a dyno and tune for maximum brake torque at varios throttle and load conditions…give it what it needs. Once you hit max brake torque, richen up fuel and take out a few degrees timing for safety at each throttle and load condition
Nice, thanks again. Turns out I'm getting some error codes too, one of which may be from the wastegate but no way to know with my tech. Error code 023904.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 03:58 PM   #6
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Tried again today, keeping light to moderate part throttling on highway and was getting close to 800C. Seems it keeps building heat. I'm starting to think the heat coating on the pipes was a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 06:40 PM   #7
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Tried again today, keeping light to moderate part throttling on highway and was getting close to 800C. Seems it keeps building heat. I'm starting to think the heat coating on the pipes was a bad idea.
A Thermal barrier on pipes will increase exhaust flow from the gases being hotter and will keep your under the hood temperatures lower. But coatings isn’t going to increase your temperatures like that.

Are these temperature readings taken before or after the catalytic converters? As stated before, Exhaust gas temperatures will increase from your engine being too lean or if you’re catalytic converters were clogged. The coatings aren’t the problem.

What did the tuner say the normal EGT range should be? 800°C is 1472°F. I’m assuming the pipes are glowing red.

You may want to post your question in the engine, tuning forum. You’ll probably get more responses. There are a couple of guys that post that may be more familiar with this specific system.
Appreciate 0