BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions MSport 704 suspension too stiff for me...

10-01-2023, 06:00 PM   #23
jkapG30msport
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw 540i m sport

so I just got a 2019 540i with m sport package. non adaptive suspension. Im having a really tough time with the ride. I switched out my 20" RF to non run flat tires. this helped maybe 25% but my son has a 2016 2 series m sport package. His car rides 50% smother than mine?? so today im having a set of 18" oem rims and non run flats installed. im really hoping this helps with the rough ride. otherwise not sure what my options are. how do I smooth the ride out. trying to keep my expectations realistic. iv owned 9 audi's my last audi was a 2014 s8. (I know I won't even try to compare) but im at a loss as to why this car feels so rough. any input beyond tire set up is welcome. have heard there are comfort springs/coilovers
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 06:33 PM   #24
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I guess you could always replace the shocks & springs with the base shocks & springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #25
jkapG30msport
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw 540i m sport

for sure will try that if needed. any good websites for used oem
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 02:41 PM   #26
RichAmber
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Xdrive SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkapG30msport View Post
so I just got a 2019 540i with m sport package. non adaptive suspension. Im having a really tough time with the ride. I switched out my 20" RF to non run flat tires. this helped maybe 25% but my son has a 2016 2 series m sport package. His car rides 50% smother than mine?? so today im having a set of 18" oem rims and non run flats installed. im really hoping this helps with the rough ride. otherwise not sure what my options are. how do I smooth the ride out. trying to keep my expectations realistic. iv owned 9 audi's my last audi was a 2014 s8. (I know I won't even try to compare) but im at a loss as to why this car feels so rough. any input beyond tire set up is welcome. have heard there are comfort springs/coilovers
Hi, how did you get on with your 18” rims?
I have a 540i Xdrive (2021). It is the UK SE spec, really rare car as virtually all available in the UK are Msport. SE spec gives it the basic suspension (not Msport suspension or adaptive). Unfortunately I still find it a little hard over bumpy roads. Fingers crossed that your 18” swap will satisfy you but unfortunately I fear it will not.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 02:47 PM   #27
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAmber View Post
Hi, how did you get on with your 18” rims?
I have a 540i Xdrive (2021). It is the UK SE spec, really rare car as virtually all available in the UK are Msport. SE spec gives it the basic suspension (not Msport suspension or adaptive). Unfortunately I still find it a little hard over bumpy roads. Fingers crossed that your 18” swap will satisfy you but unfortunately I fear it will not.
Have you played with pressure? The BMW pressures are not really that accurate, as they are the same for a specific vehicle and motor combination, reardless of options (meaning vehicle weight can be different, but pressures the same across many specs).

I have had issues with pressure, but they were centered around wanting a more buttoned down feel, as I find the BMW pressures tend to create an aloof-feeling stiffness and additional roll in turns.

I recently checked out what Goodyear recommends for my tires, and it is .4 (!) bar below what BMW recommends. I tried it and now get perfect wear across the entire tread and the car is planted, has more grip, and soaks up any bumps I encounter with ease.

Running my 540i at 2.0 bar F/R now.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 11:17 PM   #28
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post

Running my 540i at 2.0 bar F/R now.
If the calculator is correct, isn't that about 29psi? That seems awfully low...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 03:57 AM   #29
RichAmber
Registered
Rep

I have played around with the tyre pressures down to about 2.0 bar (30 psi). I “think” it made a difference but not significant. I had to put up with the “low tyre pressure warning” all the time but a small consequence if it made it less crashy.
I have become ride quality obsessed. I have had 5 BMs (3x 3 series and 2 x 5 series) and all but one were a little hard on the road. The one that was not was a 3 series 3.0d with base suspension (2007). However - I am coming to the conclusion that it is my obsession to have the great engine, gear box and power with the smooth ride quality that is making me a little dissatisfied with my 540i. Perhaps it does not exist with the BMW 5 series.
I did step away from BM for a short while and had a Mondeo Vignale 2.0d. Smooth ride but poor engine and gear box.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:11 AM   #30
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have played around with the tyre pressures down to about 2.0 bar (30 psi). I “think” it made a difference but not significant. I had to put up with the “low tyre pressure warning” all the time but a small consequence if it made it less crashy.
I have become ride quality obsessed. I have had 5 BMs (3x 3 series and 2 x 5 series) and all but one were a little hard on the road. The one that was not was a 3 series 3.0d with base suspension (2007). However - I am coming to the conclusion that it is my obsession to have the great engine, gear box and power with the smooth ride quality that is making me a little dissatisfied with my 540i. Perhaps it does not exist with the BMW 5 series.
I did step away from BM for a short while and had a Mondeo Vignale 2.0d. Smooth ride but poor engine and gear box.
You can turn off the warning by selecting the "other" wheel option in Idrive.

Dunno what else to say, mine rides like butter even on the F1 runflats. Easily the most comfy car I have had.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 04:36 AM   #31
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
If the calculator is correct, isn't that about 29psi? That seems awfully low...
Vs. the BMW recommendation it is low, but not huge. Depending on engine BMW says 2.2-2.4.

Prior to lowering pressure, I had about a cm of unused treadblock in the front, and a bit more in the rear. Wear looks really nice now, and my "comfortable" cornering speeds are about 10-15 km faster.

Feels good to me, and the treadwear confirms that BMW may have set pressures higher for economy, which seems to be king these days.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 10:27 AM   #32
RichAmber
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the info and tips both👍.
I will put my pressures back to 30psi today. I bought my used 540i with 5k miles on it in the SE spec rather than going for an Msport with adaptive suspension because the SE has the supposedly softest base suspension and also came with 18” wheels. Now wondering if I should have chosen the Msport with adaptive. Does anyone know whether the comfort setting in adaptive is softer than the base (non Msport) suspension?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 01:43 PM   #33
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info and tips both👍.
I will put my pressures back to 30psi today. I bought my used 540i with 5k miles on it in the SE spec rather than going for an Msport with adaptive suspension because the SE has the supposedly softest base suspension and also came with 18” wheels. Now wondering if I should have chosen the Msport with adaptive. Does anyone know whether the comfort setting in adaptive is softer than the base (non Msport) suspension?
My guess is that they are so close that it doesn't matter. Keep in mind also that if you are in the UK (or US) your suspension is going to be softer than a car built for Germany or some other European countries.

Not sure it will get much softer than 18s and standard suspension!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #34
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
My guess is that they are so close that it doesn't matter. Keep in mind also that if you are in the UK (or US) your suspension is going to be softer than a car built for Germany or some other European countries.

Not sure it will get much softer than 18s and standard suspension!
Why softer for US and UK?

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:07 AM   #35
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Why softer for US and UK?
Road quality and driver expectations.

My old company did a lot of consulting work with the big three German manufacturers and suspension development was market-focused.

The UK in particular has very bad roads.

When I moved to Germany, I brought a US-market B6 Audi A4 with the "Ultrasport" pack over with me. The suspension was definitely softer than on comparable German cars.
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50