07-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #111
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Nice watches but with all due respect they both look pretty similar to me. I don't see enough of a distinction (visually) to call one "sporty" and another "formal/dressy." They both look pretty sporty, if anything.
From my perspective, you can dress up a Radiomir, but the Luminor will always be a sports watch. Mike very successfully pointed out some great examples of luxury brands offering sports models earlier, aside from someone like Jacquot Droz or A Lange, there aren't many watch companies that don't really offer a sports model.

I rarely wear a suit and tie, generally just a button down and slacks, so a sports watch works great for me. I like both kinds of watches, and there are clearly some watches that I wouldn't wear at the track or going for a swim, just as there are certainly some that I wouldn't dream of wearing to a funeral or on a date night.

I had a gold GMT that I never really warmed to, it seemed too casual for dressing up and too pricey to really just wear as a casual watch. I think this is one area that white gold and platinum really extend the functionality of soft metal watches, by at least casually being able to be mistaken for stainless.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #112
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Nice watches but with all due respect they both look pretty similar to me. I don't see enough of a distinction (visually) to call one "sporty" and another "formal/dressy." They both look pretty sporty, if anything.
I actually agree. Panerai is definitely 'sporty' if anything.

Dressy is usually like a cartier ballon de blue or a smaller faced watch with little bezel and not much of the big number thing on the face.

Btw, for watch fans, I usually frequent this site. There are arguements all the time about what it sporty, dressy, luxury, etc etc... but still a great community to discuss all kinds of timepieces!

http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #113
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
From my perspective, you can dress up a Radiomir, but the Luminor will always be a sports watch. Mike very successfully pointed out some great examples of luxury brands offering sports models earlier, aside from someone like Jacquot Droz or A Lange, there aren't many watch companies that don't really offer a sports model.

I rarely wear a suit and tie, generally just a button down and slacks, so a sports watch works great for me. I like both kinds of watches, and there are clearly some watches that I wouldn't wear at the track or going for a swim, just as there are certainly some that I wouldn't dream of wearing to a funeral or on a date night.

I had a gold GMT that I never really warmed to, it seemed too casual for dressing up and too pricey to really just wear as a casual watch. I think this is one area that white gold and platinum really extend the functionality of soft metal watches, by at least casually being able to be mistaken for stainless.
+1

Being a college student personally, my watch 'garage' isn't huge. My stainless GMT Master II works with pretty much everything I would ever need to wear, even to a interview or on a date.

I am looking for a dressier watch for when I graduate though - possibly a Cartier Ballon de Blue (stainless) like I mentioned in my post above
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #114
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:
Like I said, it's not about price. RM's are six figures, but still more of a sports watch.

Rolexes aren't dressy to me. Wearing one with a suit is fine, but if I'm really dressing up something with less lume, no bezel and finer details makes more sense.

I do agree that Rolex is the starting point for quality watches though, the kind that hold their value or better, have in house movements and are sought after by collectors. PAM is a very similar brand to me for those same reasons.
But if you can afford six figures on a watch, thats a luxury. People live in houses that cost less than that piece of bling on your wrist. I dont think it matters at ALL what the watch really looks like, if you can spend that much on a watch, thats a luxury

Lets not forget the definition of "luxury"
lux·u·ry
1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.
2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.

These expensive watches fit both 1 and 2, entirely despite their appearance. Luxury isnt neccessarily about being formal or dressy, its about opulence, its about spoiling yourself. Spending 5 figures on a watch is a luxury. Spending even 4 figures on a watch is a luxury. To MOST of the world, spending 3 figures on watch is a luxury.

Dismissing watches with a 6 figure price tag as "not luxury" to me is just a bit silly.
Quote:
Luxury is probably the wrong term to use here. "Dressy" is a better term. "Dressy" vs "Sporty"

Or maybe "formal" vs "sporty/casual"
I think this is a good way to explain what I am trying to say. Luxury =/= Formal.

But at any rate, ALL these watches over the 4 figure mark look nice enough to wear with just about any suit to just about any occasion. Even the "sporty non formal" watches in these price ranges would be totally acceptable at any wedding, any dinner party, any yacht club meeting...
Quote:
How about this? An F458 is sporty, but not overtly luxurious. It's also pretty stinking expensive.

A Hyundai Equus is luxurious, but not overtly sporty. It's not terribly expensive.

If cost alone dictated what was luxurious, an F1 car or LeMans racer would be luxurious, even though most folks that could afford one wouldn't even be able to get into it, much less survive a few bumps.

This continues to be a silly, non substantiated argument, so feel free to make fun of any or all parts of it.
Buying an F458 is a luxury. Its still a luxurious car. Buying an F1 or LeMans car would be a luxurious purchase as well because its so inessential... by it's very meaning these kinds of purchases are "luxury" whereas buying a Hyundai is not:
1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.
2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.
A hyundai is usually a daily driver, it is not terribly expensive (especially not compared to a Ferrari) and is likely to be essential as it functions as a daily driver. A F458 or F1 racer will sit in a garage most the time, its not needed, they are expensive and hard to obtain. This makes them inessential, but they conduct pleasure.

Buying a Hyundai Equus over a Honda Civic may be a bit of a luxurious splurge but, on the scale we are talking about here, buying an Equus versus a Ferrari is still a very logical and non-luxurious decision. "Luxury" class cars are not always a true "luxury" - these cheap luxury cars are designed to emulate what you can get out of top-end cars. They are designed to be affordable, which goes against the definition of luxury.

It really is just apples and oranges but whatever word you use, I dont know how you can try to detract from what a 5 figure watch is by calling it non luxurious or "sporty not dressy" or whatever. Its a 5 figure watch for goodness sake

I hope you do not look down on people with cheaper watches than you...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #115
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post

I hope you do not look down on people with cheaper watches than you...
you must look down on those less fortunate! if you dont your doing it wrong.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #116
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I haven't once said anything condescending about anyone's watch. I'm wearing a German watch today that is cheaper than any current Rolex. It's a sports watch, on a cloth band. With french cuffs. Yep, it's kinda contrary to everything I just said.

I think the early comment that what I'm really defining as luxury is more of the dressy aspect of it, not that any watch isn't a luxury. A casio calculator watch is a luxury, given that your phone tells you what time it is.

I do have an internal dialog with myself sometimes when I notice a great watch. Not many people wear watches, much less, good mechanical watches. An old colleague had about a dozen JLC's and always seemed to wear the right one for the occasion. Wear what you like, my opinion of it is just that. If I think it's silly to wear a gold VC with moon phase with shorts and flip flops, I don't think it really impacts the dude who can afford to do that. Same goes for a guy wearing a Seamaster with a suit. I may not like it, but I also don't like brussel sprouts, and I have yet to try to destroy Belgium. In fact, I'm not even sure that they're responsible for that vile vegetable.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #117
sparc
plug
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Mine. I had a diamond band added to it when I received it as a gift.
Nice watch. Diamonds are a great match for a lady, IMO. For me not so much since I wear jeans and sneakers almost daily. My wife has the same jubilee watch as mine but in the women size. She prefers to wear my watch tho
      07-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #118
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

As far as Sporty and Formal, I agree that both of my watches are sporty, but the point I was making was that both are "luxury". I Never wear a suit and tie, so my Panerai is my "formal" wearer, for going out to dinner or events, and my Sub is for everyday use. My Seiko Orange Monster is for yardwork and stuff where I might damage it.

"Formal" to me, and someday I'll own one, is the Patek Calatrava, which IMO is THE quintessential formal dress watch although there are many others.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/patekphil...acturerIds=194
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #119
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

That patek just looks so plain for 12K. Not saying I don't like it but at a glance no one is gonna realize its the shit unless its all bling yo!

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 07-11-2013 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #120
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Agreed. Very understated. They look like an inexpensive watch. Most Calatravas are like 30 grand!

If I ever get to a point to where I can afford watches like that, I'd own one just to own one, but I'd also have another "formal wear" watch that would not be as understated. Probably a JLC Grande Reverso Duo.

Other watches on my wish list are Audemars Royal Oak Offshore, Hublot Big Bang, JLC Navy Seals Master Compressor Divers, Vacheron Overseas, another Panerai or two, Rolex Sea Dweller, a bunch of vintage Rolexes, the list goes on and on.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #121
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I have the sea dweller from your list and would like to pick up a panerai. I like the 1950 collection. Think its 372. Today wearing hamilton pilot. Cheap, decent looking automatic. I have a bunch of less expensive watches that I mostly wear day to day.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #122
mindlessmark07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
How do the guys with Deep sea like their watch? I'm always thinking its too big for my wrist.
Absolutely love it!!!

MindlessMark07
///2013 M5 Alpine White/Black,Orange County CA\\\
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #123
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
That patek just looks so plain for 12K. Not saying I don't like it but at a glance no one is gonna realize its the shit unless its all bling yo!
That's the point of the watch though. The people you are at your fancy dinner party will know what it is, but the normal masses will have no clue.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #124
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
That's the point of the watch though. The people you are at your fancy dinner party will know what it is, but the normal masses will have no clue.
Well that's just not my style, I want the world to know I'm better. I had flames and hydraulics on my M. I kid! I get it but think that type of purchase is for the watch enthusiast that has a ton of other watches first.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #125
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

The Deep Sea is 44 or 45mm, pretty darn big.

When I started looking into watches, I was looking at the 44-45mm watches like Panerai, Big Bang, Royal Oak Offsore, I was on a "big watch" kick. After getting my first watch (Rolex Submariner) I still thought I'd get a bigger watch someday. I had the opportunity to try on a few 44-45mm watches (Panerai and Deep Sea), and I found them too big for my taste, and I'm not small wristed.

The regular Sea Dweller is just a tad thicker than the Submariner but otherwise the same size, and I've concluded that for me, 40-42mm is the perfect size. My Panerai is 40mm but it's a really big watch, as is my Orange Monster.

Z and M series (the last before the larger Deep Sea Dweller) Sea Dwellers are around 5-6 grand, and since they're discontinued they will appreciate very Very well IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #126
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
The Deep Sea is 44 or 45mm, pretty darn big.

When I started looking into watches, I was looking at the 44-45mm watches like Panerai, Big Bang, Royal Oak Offsore, I was on a "big watch" kick. After getting my first watch (Rolex Submariner) I still thought I'd get a bigger watch someday. I had the opportunity to try on a few 44-45mm watches (Panerai and Deep Sea), and I found them too big for my taste, and I'm not small wristed.

The regular Sea Dweller is just a tad thicker than the Submariner but otherwise the same size, and I've concluded that for me, 40-42mm is the perfect size. My Panerai is 40mm but it's a really big watch, as is my Orange Monster.

Z and M series (the last before the larger Deep Sea Dweller) Sea Dwellers are around 5-6 grand, and since they're discontinued they will appreciate very Very well IMO.
i went in with the intention of getting the deep sea but ended up with the sedweller instead. it wasnt because the face size ie 44 was too big across for me it was that the height of the watch seemed huge. didnt work for me. i have other watches up to 46 i think and dont find them too big even though i dont have big wrists.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #127
Glideslope
goldmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

As was said on the Rolex Forums, the only people that notice and appreciate your fancy "Rolex" are other Rolex owners...

As long as you're happy with your purchase (and it feels Luxurious to you), that's all that matters. You rarely get offers for sex from asian flight attendants due to your watch! (though this almost happened to me following a Cathay Pacific flight)
      07-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #128
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
As was said on the Rolex Forums, the only people that notice and appreciate your fancy "Rolex" are other Rolex owners...

As long as you're happy with your purchase (and it feels Luxurious to you), that's all that matters. You rarely get offers for sex from asian flight attendants due to your watch! (though this almost happened to me following a Cathay Pacific flight)
How did it almost happen? She asked and you refused? She flirted with you and you prayed she'd ask but didn't?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #129
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
How did it almost happen?
It happened in a dream.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #130
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

It happens to me on a daily basis, all because of my magic Rolex! lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #131
Glideslope
goldmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

You guys made me LOL!

Let's just say that I'm a little too married, and while on a biz trip to HK, Singapore and beyond, my wife would bust me at the frontdoor on my return if anything illegal happened. I was getting heavily flirted with by a F/A in biz class... (don't even bother in economy!) and she asked me what hotel I was staying at on the island and gave me her contact info so I could take her out clubbing that very night. I later found out from my mates that are B777 pilots from the airline that the F/A are "tarts" mostly, so scoring with one would not be a gigantic accomplishment.

Moral of the story, F/A in asia (eg. Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific) also notice if you're rocking a Rolex as many of them do too. If you're in Biz class and are a young American, they'll assume you're a rich software tycoon and start the heavy flirting. It's not a bad form of in-flight entertainment actually!
      07-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #132
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

what the hell are you guys flying. some stinky chinese fa hated me for scrolling through my iphone (1st gen they weren't available in china yet). and she stank!
Appreciate 0