BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BMW Carplay issues/Bugs & Google Maps

04-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
bimmerlife208
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i X-Drive

BMW Carplay issues/Bugs & Google Maps

I have been having connectivity issues with the carplay since day one. Sometimes the device is connected and it disconnects automatically. In order to reconnect you need to remove and re-connect iphone as new connection. Sometimes the iphone will be connected and and calls will have no sound. I called Apple and they told me BMW needs to update their firmware. Checked the BMW site and says no Idrive update. Plus when you press the mic option and use voice commands, I see mobile.dev displayed on the HUD. How do you move a car into production and not catch that mistake?

Also is there a way I can use google maps on my navigation? I don't like apple maps and the built in navigation is not as good as google maps.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlife208 View Post
I have been having connectivity issues with the carplay since day one. Sometimes the device is connected and it disconnects automatically. In order to reconnect you need to remove and re-connect iphone as new connection. Sometimes the iphone will be connected and and calls will have no sound. I called Apple and they told me BMW needs to update their firmware. Checked the BMW site and says no Idrive update. Plus when you press the mic option and use voice commands, I see mobile.dev displayed on the HUD. How do you move a car into production and not catch that mistake?

Also is there a way I can use google maps on my navigation? I don't like apple maps and the built in navigation is not as good as google maps.
The update listed on BMW website is rarely, if ever, the latest. And, it is different from complete vehicle ECU flash programming.

Go to dealership and get car serviced.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Probably a singular issue. I don't have the problems mentioned above with my CarPlay. It works flawlessly.

To use google map you would need an android phone . The car can mirror android screens on idrive. The projected mirroring is the same as the screen of your phone. I currently use an old Samsung S5. You could then use google map from your android which is not available on CarPlay. However I am not sure whether you need to have enhanced bluetooth option or not for this function.

Overall, the idrive works much better with android than iPhone regarding receiving and sending text messages etc

In my opinion, idrive is as good as dynamically re-routing away from traffic congestions during navigation as google map, if not better. You could also set parameters for routing with idrive including avoiding toll roads etc not to mention sire-like commands. Google map took me into a blind alley the other time in my Honda Civic.

Last edited by babaikram; 04-16-2017 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
bimmerlife208
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i X-Drive

I might have to go into the dealership. Apple map is terrible. Once it kept driving me in circles and making me do U-turns. Idrive made me drive 25 miles extra to get to my destination. Google maps is the best. That sucks because I have only Iphone.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #5
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlife208 View Post
I might have to go into the dealership. Apple map is terrible. Once it kept driving me in circles and making me do U-turns. Idrive made me drive 25 miles extra to get to my destination. Google maps is the best. That sucks because I have only Iphone.
You can use voice prompts from google map played from the car speakers whilst driving and be looking at the map from BMW sat nav for good orientation.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
asianwolf
Rep
Drives: G30 530D xDrive M Sport

I'm surprised that BMW doesn't support android car, even though I'm not a fan of android. As it stands BMWs navigation system and apple maps via CarPlay are the only integrated systems available currently.

Unfortunately apple maps is not integrated into the HUD when in use, which is a shame. Having used Google maps, in addition to Apple and BMW in Europe, they are all pretty much on par now.

The downside of BMW's navigation is the lack of speed camera alerts (European law) or an easy way of adding them.

Screen mirroring doesn't work whilst driving, albeit having audio alerts as suggested in a previous post is the best alternative available for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianwolf View Post
I'm surprised that BMW doesn't support android car, even though I'm not a fan of android. As it stands BMWs navigation system and apple maps via CarPlay are the only integrated systems available currently.

Unfortunately apple maps is not integrated into the HUD when in use, which is a shame. Having used Google maps, in addition to Apple and BMW in Europe, they are all pretty much on par now.

The downside of BMW's navigation is the lack of speed camera alerts (European law) or an easy way of adding them.

Screen mirroring doesn't work whilst driving, albeit having audio alerts as suggested in a previous post is the best alternative available for now.
Android Auto is on Bentley. I see recently that a few more manufacturers are now listed "Launched."

Android Auto on BMW is in development, but I agree there is a disconnect and ambiguous logic as to what is or is not supported. Google maps is used to send addresses to the car, but not used in the vehicle. Certain remote features only work on Android or Apple. Email and text messages seem to be better supported by Android, but Carplay was introduced to market first.

CarPlay seems like a poorly integrated afterthought; many of the functions are not fully supported by hotkeys or the HUD. And, it must be disabled to use certain native idrive functions.

It would be my assumption that BMW is focussing more on A2A (Apps for Auto), for more deeply integrated support through ConnectedDrive platform.
Appreciate 0