BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Connection of the roof antenna with the telephone with wireless charger

04-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
SpainG30_520
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d G30 2017

Connection of the roof antenna with the telephone with wireless charger

My iphone 6 plus with a slim qi charger, fits perfectly into the wireless charger. However, a significant improvement in coverage is not perceived. According to the graph, the antenna (num 5) occupies the entire base of the wireless charger. I do not know if anyone has any idea to improve the induction between the two antennas, the iphone and the wireless charger.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d

I have a Samsung s7 and like you I don't see any huge improvement in signal strength.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpainG30_520 View Post
My iphone 6 plus with a slim qi charger, fits perfectly into the wireless charger. However, a significant improvement in coverage is not perceived. According to the graph, the antenna (num 5) occupies the entire base of the wireless charger. I do not know if anyone has any idea to improve the induction between the two antennas, the iphone and the wireless charger.
Have you compared connection when wirelessly charging vs plugged in via USB?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #4
SpainG30_520
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d G30 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Have you compared connection when wirelessly charging vs plugged in via USB?
The iphone cable doesn't provide connection with any antenna. Only the amplification of the signal of the phone antenna by induction is possible. The issue is whether there is any possibility of improving the contact between the phone's antenna and the charger's induction base. For example with some cable similar to the inductor QI. In any case the Genius has recognized me that in their bmw meetings, it has be commented that it is a real problem to be improved/resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpainG30_520 View Post
The iphone cable doesn't provide connection with any antenna. Only the amplification of the signal of the phone antenna by induction is possible. The issue is whether there is any possibility of improving the contact between the phone's antenna and the charger's induction base. For example with some cable similar to the inductor QI. In any case the Genius has recognized me that in their bmw meetings, it has be commented that it is a real problem to be improved/resolved.
I guess I am confused by for what you are looking.

Are you interested in improved inductive charging, connection with roof antenna, or something else?

I neither have an Iphone nor vehicle with 6NW.

I have read various reports that wireless charging in cars does not offer much more than ability to maintain charge. Comparatively, the usb port will output 2+ amps for fast charging.

I have noticed that when I place phone between dash and windshield, I get better service. The only problem is when it is hot outside and consequently heats up phone. Alternatively, if I plug phone into usb port on my ID4 vehicles, I only get 0.5 amperes but do get improved cellular connection in areas of weak coverage.

As such, that is why I was curious if you compared reception between wireless and tethered connection.
Appreciate 0