BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions Soft Close Mechanism / External handle boden cable failure

12-17-2023, 03:05 PM   #1
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i g30

Soft Close Mechanism / External handle boden cable failure

Another day/ Another Job!!

This one has been pending since August, soft close door failure and then eventually the door failed to open from the outside, so i only had 3 functional doors..annoying to say the least!!

Apologies for the long draft but i thought it could help others.

Purchased a new external Boden cable and Soft Close motor from Sytner Solihull along with 15% discount.

Tools required:
T15, T20 T25, T30 Torx screws / Sockets
Trim removal tool
10mm socket
Flat head screwdriver
13mm for plastic nut
Tape

Not many videos online so used ones i could from other G Series and some g30's.

Winded the window down half way, will expalin later.

Started with internal door handle trim removal, removed the 2 t20's screws. Uncliped the door card from the bottom and worked my way round.

On removal and inspection, it looked like someone attemted this before as clips were different assortments and some missing. Uncliped the various connections to the door card, placed to one side.

Moved on to the internal window regulator trim. Removed 6 x T30 bolts, then used 13mm socket to turn the plastic nuts half a turn anti clockwise until they stop. At this point the window is still clipped to the regulator bracket.

The window was already winded down so i can see the regulator bracket after i pulled the trimmed out a little. I used a long flat head to move the window bracket out and used my left hand to pull the glass up at the same time. Window was free and pulled the regulator trim out.

Glass pushed up once regulater was out and taped to prevent falling down.

I then moved to the external door handle, removed the gromet from the side of the door, used a long T15 to loosen the screw which stops in place, pulled the door handle out and unclipped the 2 door connections.

In the same door handle, there is a T25 screw which again loosens it also stays in place, this loosens the entire handle mechnism from the inside. I then unscrewed the lock actuator using T30 screws the side door and then one on theinternal side, this is now loose.

Finally i removed soft close mechanism via one 10mm bolt and 2 rubber grommets.

I removed all 3 mechanisms and placed in order on the mat, you can see the rust on the old boden cable, rusty water plus the soft close mechnism was not in a good state, cleaned up the actuator, greased it up where neccesary.

Connected the new Boden cable to the external bracket which went into the acruator and placed the new soft close mechanism to the actuator from one end once i removed the covering where the cable covered toprevent water from entering this.

The ball ache was placing it all back, took longer than removing it all, door handle bracket first, actuator and then soft close motor.

External door handle connected, screwed back in, door handle now feels stronger like the other doors, prior to this it was a little loose regardless i tightened the screw from the inside.

All now working well and everthing put back together. Only issue i have is the door clips partially broke so i have ordered new ones, looking to go back to the old F series door card clips as heard they work better than the new G series clips. Not sure why the BMW changed these clips.

I hope i never need to do the other doors...was a massive headache, but i now have 4 working doors...

Hope it helps others out there...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Spyder364.50
      12-18-2023, 05:37 AM   #2
tuzii
aussie member
Rep
Drives: G30 530D

was it hard to remove the door lock unit from the door skin?
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 06:01 AM   #3
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzii View Post
was it hard to remove the door lock unit from the door skin?
Hi, once the inner panel was removed it was easy from there, just a matter of taking pictures of the order the are placed before removing and you can go wrong. Hardest part was placing the internal handle bracked back in....once that was in the rest was easy....very fiddly
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 06:02 AM   #4
tanda129
United Kingdom
Rep

Meant to say can't go wrong not can.. typo
Appreciate 0