BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Maintenance or No Maintenance

10-17-2019, 03:01 AM   #1
Aman119900
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW530e

Smile Maintenance or No Maintenance

Hi All, first post here - Im coming back to BMW after 3 years away at Jaguar in an XE P250 - Ok but niggly problems such as the reverse cams taking ages to switch on. Idling feeling like its always going to cut out.

Anyway back to BMW!! ordering tomorrow a 530e spec below;

Selected Options

300 Alpine White
21r 19in M Light M Dblspk664m+runf...
688 Loudspeaker System-Harman/Kar...
420 Sun Protection Glass
3ag Reversing Assistant Camera
4t8 Door Mirrors Auto Anti Dazzle...

It will be on contract hire, now BMW will charge £51 +vat if I take their maintenance package - including all servicing, tyres, brakes etc.

I'm looking at a 42-month contract (to get the price where I want) Will be doing 10k miles per annum.

Is it worth me taking the maintenance or doing it myself? As at 10k miles I was advised that its a service every 18k miles or 24 months, which would mean 2 services. But knowing with my previous F10 before without service, it seemed to want some sort of service whenever it wanted.

Unsure whether it is worth the £2142 + vat or better to pay for servicing etc myself.

ordering tomorrow - some urgent help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Again!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Perhaps a bit late but can you get from the dealership how much the services actually are.
Depending on your driving style I would guess that you would end up requiring new tyres at some point in those 42 months assuming 10k miles covered per year.

Not sure if you would need anything else.

So how much is a set of tyres?( depends where you go but I'd have thought £250 per corner maybe more?
And yes I would expect you to have an oil server at around 18k or 2 years whichever comes first and then there would be a brake fluid service at year 3 but as you are not going for 48 months , not sure you quite hit the second oil service.

Brakes, probably would need new ones - again depends upon driving style.

You'd need to do maths but gut feeling is that may not worth it. The basic maintenance of just oil and fluids might be worth it though as opposed to the full fat maintenance package

Sorry don't have an answer but maybe has given you some thoughts
Appreciate 0