GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #23
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Here it is...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1059217
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I would really love to see some specific documentation that different manufacturers polarize their lenses in different orientations... This has come up before and I just don't buy it...

Polarized lenses are oriented in a specific way to help filter out the glare most folks see on a day-to day basis. (Generally solar reflectivity off of a body of water). To filter out the horizontal transmission of the rays reflected off a body of water (or a car in front of you), lenses are Vertically Polarized. As such, Manufacturer's use the same general orientation to polarize their lenses. I challenge anyone to find a manufacturer which DOES NOT use the same orientation in their sunglasses as everyone else (other than something very application specific).

You can't just swing the polarization around by 90 degrees. If you did, you would lose the majority of the effectiveness that the glasses were designed for.

That being said, The HUD is a purposeful reflection of the windscreen. If you use a GOOD set of polarized glasses, it is likely you will lose a good deal of visibility of your HUD. Polarized glasses are quite simply produced to reduce glare and reflection.

I'm also a commercial rated pilot. We specifically DO NOT use polarized sunglasses in the cockpit because it can interfere with reading the instruments (this would be "bad") through their plastic lenses. Point here, is that there are a lot of very good quality sunglasses available which are NOT polarized. (Some of them much better tan the ones which are).

If you want to see your HUD most effectively, just don't use polarized sunglasses...
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #25
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I would really love to see some specific documentation that different manufacturers polarize their lenses in different orientations... This has come up before and I just don't buy it...

Polarized lenses are oriented in a specific way to help filter out the glare most folks see on a day-to day basis. (Generally solar reflectivity off of a body of water). To filter out the horizontal transmission of the rays reflected off a body of water (or a car in front of you), lenses are Vertically Polarized. As such, Manufacturer's use the same general orientation to polarize their lenses. I challenge anyone to find a manufacturer which DOES NOT use the same orientation in their sunglasses as everyone else (other than something very application specific).

You can't just swing the polarization around by 90 degrees. If you did, you would lose the majority of the effectiveness that the glasses were designed for.

That being said, The HUD is a purposeful reflection of the windscreen. If you use a GOOD set of polarized glasses, it is likely you will lose a good deal of visibility of your HUD. Polarized glasses are quite simply produced to reduce glare and reflection.

I'm also a commercial rated pilot. We specifically DO NOT use polarized sunglasses in the cockpit because it can interfere with reading the instruments (this would be "bad") through their plastic lenses. Point here, is that there are a lot of very good quality sunglasses available which are NOT polarized. (Some of them much better tan the ones which are).

If you want to see your HUD most effectively, just don't use polarized sunglasses...
my thoughts exactly.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #26
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Forgive my ignorance if this has been discussed but I did : and did not find anything. I recently did the BMW UDE where I got to take the M3 out on a test drive. I noticed that my Oakley polarized sunglasses almost completely blank out the HUD display. If I remove them (or tilt my head 90 degrees) it is bright and clear. Is this just going to be a fact of life?
Yes.
I bought a set of non-polarized Oakley's just for the M3, and keep them there.
I could still see HUD through polarized glasses, but it was a bit too faint for my taste.

HUD is worth it!

a
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #27
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Persols work ok, though they do dim a little...I'm just not ready to give them up.
      07-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #28
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have a pair of non-polarized Scheyden's that I used in the cockpit for a while. They are very good glasses and popular with pilots:

http://scheyden.com/

However, the absolute best glasses I have found are the brown lens RAVISION's that have been consistently using for several years now (Model RA-VG-1). Although I have a pair for flying, I also bought another pair to keep in my M6. They are EXTREMELY light (polycarbonate lenses) and have very thin wire ear frames (perfect for use with helmets or headsets):

http://www.ravisiongear.com/

When I went out to find the web site to post above, it looks like these glasses are on close-out. (I originally paid almost $300 a pair for these and now they have them for $99!) Maybe the company is going out of business. However, once I saw this, I just bought TWO more pair to keep in my M4 and X6M! (Had to get the order in BEFORE I posted this message since it looks like they are on close-out now!)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #29
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

I keep a pair of non-polarized in the car for exactly this reason. The polarized glasses have migrated to other cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #30
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
I have a pair of non-polarized Scheyden's that I used in the cockpit for a while. They are very good glasses and popular with pilots:

http://scheyden.com/

However, the absolute best glasses I have found are the brown lens RAVISION's that have been consistently using for several years now (Model RA-VG-1). Although I have a pair for flying, I also bought another pair to keep in my M6. They are EXTREMELY light (polycarbonate lenses) and have very thin wire ear frames (perfect for use with helmets or headsets):

http://www.ravisiongear.com/

When I went out to find the web site to post above, it looks like these glasses are on close-out. (I originally paid almost $300 a pair for these and now they have them for $99!) Maybe the company is going out of business. However, once I saw this, I just bought TWO more pair to keep in my M4 and X6M! (Had to get the order in BEFORE I posted this message since it looks like they are on close-out now!)
Thanks for the link! I just ordered a pair of RAVISION's myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #31
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Thanks for the link! I just ordered a pair of RAVISION's myself.
They do look quite functional for use with a helmet.
      07-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #32
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

I always order prescription sunglasses that aren't polarized. They work great. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a new set that should be ready in a matter of days.

The only time you really need polarized lenses is when you're fishing on a lake, bay or sea. The polarized lenses greatly reduce the glare coming off of the water. Other than that, non-polarized lenses are perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #33
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
They do look quite functional for use with a helmet.
I use them on track days. The thin, straight, wire ear frames slide right under your helmet.

The frames were originally designed to slip under the cushioned earcups of aviation headsets. Being nice and thin, they help maintain the seal of the cushioned earcup. This obviously makes them work extremely well with helmets as well. Not to mention super light!

They have them with grey or brown lenses.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:19 PM   #34
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215204

This may not work if the HUD is projected on windshield but if it is backlit then it may.

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #35
SpaceGhost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xdrive

I have Oakley polarized (Tinfoils) and see my hud no problem...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:24 PM   #36
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

I have a brand new pair of polarized Maui Jims.... No problem with viewing hud.. its a little dimmer and that's all... I just turned the brightness all the way up and It works good enough for me
      07-31-2015, 07:35 PM   #37
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215204

This may not work if the HUD is projected on windshield but if it is backlit then it may.
Doesn't work unfortunately -- this trick basically converts the linearly polarized light into circular polarized light. (it's a cheap version of a 'quarter wave plate' if you want to google the physics)

I bought something equivalent and cut a sheet to fit the HUD projector - but this stopped the image from being reflected by the windscreen! (The owner's manual mentions that the windscreen is part of the HUD optics so you shouldn't use cheap 3rd party replacements)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #38
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:

Sure you can. Whatever orientation my Oakley polarized lenses have is perfect for the BMW HUD. If I take them off, and turn them 90 degrees, then the HUD image fades away - similar to what most people with polarized lenses describe seeing with their glasses.

Quote:

As others have mentioned, as long as you get the correct type (vertical vs. horizontal polarization) it has no impact on the HUD whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:56 PM   #39
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

RPP...Rich People Problems. Tragic.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #40
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

With mine on, I lose an easy 90% of the brightness.

Been looking for new shades.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #41
ihg90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

A possibility:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDDYIWK
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 10:57 PM   #42
stevexyz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:

Sure you can. Whatever orientation my Oakley polarized lenses have is perfect for the BMW HUD. If I take them off, and turn them 90 degrees, then the HUD image fades away - similar to what most people with polarized lenses describe seeing with their glasses.

Quote:

As others have mentioned, as long as you get the correct type (vertical vs. horizontal polarization) it has no impact on the HUD whatsoever.
Have to agree with evanevery here.. One wonders what the point of glasses with the "other" polarization would be. Polarized glasses are to reduce glare off lakes, snow, roads, etc. All of which are flat, parallel to the horizon. Glasses Polarized in the perpendicular direction would be worthless; there is only one direction it makes sense to polarize sunglasses.

All LCD displays in all cars are set up to be compatible with the "normal" polarization. This can't be done with the HUD though because it is bounced off the windshield which unfortunately Polarizes the light in the direction which is not favorable for wearers of polarized glasses. The only solution is to use non polarized glasses. Or glasses with weaker polarization, which may account for some of the confusion in this thread.
      08-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #43
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

All sunglasses are polarized in the same orientation.

I would be impressed if someone could provide documentation to prove me wrong!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #44
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

To me it seems that it depends on the sunglasses, with my Oakley polarized sunglasses I cannot see the HUD at all. However, with my Ray Ban and Mont Blanc polarized sunglasses I see perfectly fine.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0