BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board I知 having no luck trying to get the COVID vaccine in Texas

Closed Thread

01-17-2021, 06:37 AM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Something that would be very telling on the debauchery of this whole thing is if there are any stats on how many vaccine doses have been thrown out.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:19 AM   #24
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Offering a bribe is just tacky, perhaps even illegal. Selling a spot in line is surely so. Get a local physician and work with them. Really should have been doing this already as good practice, but especially under these conditions. If your condition is actually a recognized risk factor they can help assure you get a shot sooner. Even the deepest 'anti-federal-bureaucracy' states are going to be implementing systems to get prioritized doses for at-risk people. Part of the problem is that desperate people sign up for every listing they can find, so those waiting lists are kind of inflated with fluff, and will move faster once things get a little more organized.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Offering a bribe is just tacky, perhaps even illegal. Selling a spot in line is surely so. Get a local physician and work with them. Really should have been doing this already as good practice, but especially under these conditions. If your condition is actually a recognized risk factor they can help assure you get a shot sooner. Even the deepest 'anti-federal-bureaucracy' states are going to be implementing systems to get prioritized doses for at-risk people. Part of the problem is that desperate people sign up for every listing they can find, so those waiting lists are kind of inflated with fluff, and will move faster once things get a little more organized.
In your idealistic world, what you've said may work.

But the reality is NO doctor has any pull with the current strict guidelines on who gets vaccinated. Trust me. When you have life threatening co-morbidities, you'll understand a whole lot better. While I won't go as far as bribing anyone for a spot or lead to a vaccine spot, I can understand the OP's desperation having 4 co-morbidities of my own.

This whole thing has been mismanaged and every government official should be held accountable. It's not as if the supplies just showed up overnight and they had to scramble to figure out logistics on getting the vaccines distributed. Most of them are hypocrites in criticizing the whole vaccine development process yet are failing miserably on the distribution part. At least the promises of having the vaccine out in less than a year has been met. You can't say the same with the distribution.

What should have happened is all groups from 1A, 1B, 1C, and 2 should have been registered. If a slot from 1A wasn't utilized, the next in line with 1B would be called up and so on. This would have gotten more vaccines out there and minimized the travesty of having unused doses thrown out which I feel if the real number is made public a huge riot/outrage would occur.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #26
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Appreciate your opinion but disagree. I wouldn't characterize it as a bribe just a thank you. Like I explained in an earlier post I split time between NYC and Dallas and haven't been able to get back to NYC since covid because of the risks. I have been having telehealth visits with my doctor's in NYC. It wouldn't make much sense to start with a new team of doctors in Dallas especially since every doctor's visit puts me at further risk of catching covid. Again I would never try to put myself infront of someone more deserving. I qualify to get the vaccine, I have 3 of the high risk conditions that qualify you. I am just having a hard time because I don't have a relationship with a doctor, Pharmacy, or hospital group in Dallas. Sorry if I came off brash in anyway it's not what I intended. I'm just desperate to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrae456 View Post
Appreciate your opinion but disagree. I wouldn't characterize it as a bribe just a thank you. Like I explained in an earlier post I split time between NYC and Dallas and haven't been able to get back to NYC since covid because of the risks. I have been having telehealth visits with my doctor's in NYC. It wouldn't make much sense to start with a new team of doctors in Dallas especially since every doctor's visit puts me at further risk of catching covid. Again I would never try to put myself infront of someone more deserving. I qualify to get the vaccine, I have 3 of the high risk conditions that qualify you. I am just having a hard time because I don't have a relationship with a doctor, Pharmacy, or hospital group in Dallas. Sorry if I came off brash in anyway it's not what I intended. I'm just desperate to be honest.
It won't matter with the current rigid guidelines if you did work with a doctor local to you. Despite Azar's statement of also including us that are in the medically high risk group, no state has adjusted their policies to accommodate that guidance.

Can't get more at risk than those undergoing cancer treatment with immune compromised systems and none of us have been able to get the vaccine.
Appreciate 1
Mgrae456269.50
      01-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #28
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Sign up, be patient and allow the system to work. This is something that has not been done in recent history and will get faster and more efficient as we progress. You've made it nearly a year without COVID so just continue best practices and you can easily avoid contracting the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post

Let's just say that even when made available, people are hesitant to sign up. These vaccines also have an expiration date and we have had to throw out thousands and thousands of doses - a total waste. I know for a fact this is the same situation across the nation and cumulatively millions of doses have gone expired and discarded.

This is either not true or an absolute failure by your Healthcare system. Sure there will be some mistakes but not on large levels. Doses are thawed as they are needed and if too many are thawed they are given out first come first serve. Its very easy to make a few phone calls and use those vaccines. It would be incredibly unethical and potentially criminal to thaw large amounts of vaccine to not be used.

Last edited by Gossypiboma; 01-17-2021 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      01-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
Sign up, be patient and allow the system to work. You've made it nearly a year without COVID so just continue best practices and you can easily avoid contracting the virus.

To the few in this thread that stated huge amounts of doses are being thrown in the trash, that is almost certainly not true. Sure there will be some mistakes but not on large levels. Doses are thawed as they are needed and if too many are thawed they are given out first come first serve. It would be incredibly unethical and potentially criminal to thaw large amounts of vaccine to not be used.
Easy for you to say when you're not dealing with other life threatening issues. While I will continue to live my life as I've faced my potential death more than most anyone, my screwed up view of my mortality isn't what others have when they also have a life threatening condition. I wouldn't be so critical of how this process is going if it were not the real stats out there showing a ton of vaccines yet to be distributed. With the small groups we're talking about, what makes you think the current system is going to be able to handle the mass general population? And if it's not your official turn but you're in the recognized high risk categories, you CANNOT sign up and wait your turn. The point is the system is not working when only 5 states are above 50% in distributing their allotted vaccines.

While I don't have actual data on the number of thrown out vaccines, you don't either or you'd be posting it up. I am hypothesizing as there are reports of vaccines being thrown out due to rules disallowing them to be used outside of the current vaccination group. And the data point of a poster here that has had first hand knowledge. I only say that it would be interesting to see the actual data on how many vaccines are being thrown out.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #30
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post

While I don't have actual data on the number of thrown out vaccines, you don't either or you'd be posting it up. I am hypothesizing as there are reports of vaccines being thrown out due to rules disallowing them to be used outside of the current vaccination group. And the data point of a poster here that has had first hand knowledge. I only say that it would be interesting to see the actual data on how many vaccines are being thrown out.
Im also in a high risk category. Goes to show you cant assume who you are talking to.

I work for a large Healthcare system and we essentially have zero vaccine waste. You absolutely can vaccinate outside the current vaccination group to prevent waste.

Last edited by Gossypiboma; 01-17-2021 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3508.50
David701567.00
      01-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #31
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
Im also in a high risk category. Goes to show you cant assume who you are talking to.

I work for a large Healthcare system and we essentially have zero vaccine waste. You absolutely can vaccinate outside the current vaccination group to prevent waste.
Vaccinations haven't happened outside of any of the current vaccination groups in my locality nor the neighboring state which has a worse vaccination rate. Only place I've heard of vaccinations happening outside of the current group is in DC. Kind of hard to provide vaccines outside of the current vaccination group when you're not allowed to show up to the vaccination site unless you're in the current group. In my situation, my county only has one site which only vaccinates from 9AM to 1PM being done at an elementary school.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #32
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Vaccinations haven't happened outside of any of the current vaccination groups in my locality nor the neighboring state which has a worse vaccination rate. Only place I've heard of vaccinations happening outside of the current group is in DC. Kind of hard to provide vaccines outside of the current vaccination group when you're not allowed to show up to the vaccination site unless you're in the current group. In my situation, my county only has one site which only vaccinates from 9AM to 1PM being done at an elementary school.
Correct, they haven't officially been offered outside the vaccination groups. But I garuntee you that any thawed vaccines at risk of not being used have been offered and given outside the current group.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #33
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

NYS is vaccinating outside the group. This is for providers (direct firsthand) and community members (good official info). The county also has them for first responders and front line personnel including volunteers, trainees, etc. I'm sure there will be wastage, but not on a grand scale, and not likely in hospitals (probably more likely at the local pharmacies, doctors offices, etc). At the hospital they are even using the extras in the vials to create more vaccinations than 'doses'. The real issue is that the perishability limits setting up shot clinics b/c they need to guarantee enough bodies to not have waste. The county is reportedly doing a wait-list program for this - people can come line up for any unused shots at the end of the scheduled day.

My 'idealistic view' is more of realistic anticipation (but I'm often told I have an unrealistic impression of my own opinion). Eventually (like in a week or so) there will be more national organization. What is anticipated is that once we pry the fingers of every local politico off of the supply stream, they will settle into a system where higher priority people can basically jump to the head of an ongoing line - high tech stuff like you see at an amusement park. But it will take a little more than just raising your hand and saying 'I have a condition', you'll need some kind of documentation. Current word is that this will be driven by- or through local physician groups; believe me that the cancer docs (and the rest of them) are just as pissed as you are that they can't just get their patients a shot, and that is going to be changing fairly soon. So bust out your HMO list of approved providers, and make a few phone calls. They may take you as a patient via telehealth if you really do have good docs and ongoing treatment program in another area.

Last edited by Maynard; 01-17-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #34
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

My Stepmother is 81 and high risk, she too is on the phone trying to get the vaccine but is on a waiting list. I would suggest talking to your primary health Physician and simply have patience.
      01-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #35
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
My Stepmother is 81 and high risk, she too is on the phone trying to get the vaccine but is on a waiting list. I would suggest talking to your primary health Physician and simply have patience.
It's hard to have patience living in fear
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #36
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Given what you seem to indicate are some other health issues, I am surprised you have not established a relationship with a new doctor in Dallas. That would be your best advocate for the jab though likely too late now to try and do that.

Do your doctor(s) back in NY have any contacts/relationships in the DFW area?
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3477.00
      01-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #37
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Quote:
Given what you seem to indicate are some other health issues, I am surprised you have not established a relationship with a new doctor in Dallas. That would be your best advocate for the jab though likely too late now to try and do that.

Do your doctor(s) back in NY have any contacts/relationships in the DFW area?
I have been asking and they really don't.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:44 AM   #38
Mgrae456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Has she had any luck?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #39
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Not yet but she keeps trying. My Aunt and Uncle received theirs yesterday so patience is needed.
      01-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #40
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

In Florida people are actually coming here for vacation to get the Vaccine by claiming winter residency.

Local full time residents are quite upset
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #41
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
This should never have been left only to the states. The Feds have done nothing to support vaccine research, though they claim to. They've done nothing to support distribution, though they claim to. They've literally done nothing at all to attack the pandemic from day One beyond ignoring it.

I'll be 68 this week and qualify for the current distribution by age in Virginia but only because the CDC finally told states to move my class up. At the same time it came out the supply from the Feds did not exist. My state had me register on-line and promised a call back to schedule my shot within three days. It's been three days but granted two were a weekend and the other a national holiday. I'll let you know how it works out here. Currently VA is about mid-pack in vaccine distribution. Sad that WVA is ahead. We should all be at the same level. But then who is showing who how to do it. Looks like some states are now turning to Starbucks for some leadership help.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #42
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Ah the government at it's finest! Amazon would have probably vaccinated everyone by now.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #43
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
This should never have been left only to the states. The Feds have done nothing to support vaccine research, though they claim to. They've done nothing to support distribution, though they claim to. They've literally done nothing at all to attack the pandemic from day One beyond ignoring it.

I'll be 68 this week and qualify for the current distribution by age in Virginia but only because the CDC finally told states to move my class up. At the same time it came out the supply from the Feds did not exist. My state had me register on-line and promised a call back to schedule my shot within three days. It's been three days but granted two were a weekend and the other a national holiday. I'll let you know how it works out here. Currently VA is about mid-pack in vaccine distribution. Sad that WVA is ahead. We should all be at the same level. But then who is showing who how to do it. Looks like some states are now turning to Starbucks for some leadership help.
The issue is capacity. Not even the Feds could really put a dent in that.

Also the CDC recommends patients remain onsite for 15 min observation after they received the shot.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #44
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
The issue is capacity. Not even the Feds could really put a dent in that.

Also the CDC recommends patients remain onsite for 15 min observation after they received the shot.
And this came as a surprise to them . . . when?

Look how fast they can deploy 20,000 troops曜ust about one-week after they ignored intelligence warning them of an impending attack and did nothing about it.

Good news is a new administration can't do any worse.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread