BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2018 G30 540i xDrive Fuel Door Actuator Broken

12-12-2022, 12:44 PM   #1
tattrie15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i xDrive

2018 G30 540i xDrive Fuel Door Actuator Broken

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with their fuel door actuator breaking? This morning after the first snow fall/real freeze, I found my fuel door open with ice inside and not able to close. After chipping away the ice and letting the car thaw out, it still will not close leading me to believe the actuator is broken. The events that I believe happened were water got into the gas cap area then froze, pushing the door out against the actuator and breaking it.

I am assuming the way the actuator works is there is the normal operation lock i.e. opening and closing to fill up and then there is the locking mechanism for when the car is locked. I managed to get it to stay close by locking the car while pushing in the fuel door firmly so now it is stuck in the closed position (looking back I should have just left it open).

Does anyone have any experience on this? My car is under CPO warranty until next March however I do not believe this will be covered as the terms state latches are not covered.

Also, is there an emergency release for the G30 540i? When I search the owners manual it says to just see a service center to get it opened.

Thank you all
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:30 PM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

I have nothing to offer but good luck. This seems urgent.

Last edited by G30 B58; 12-12-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 07:56 AM   #3
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I had this issue. Water got into the actuator and rusted the spring. I ordered the fuel door from ECS Tuning and received it within a week.

I removed the fender liner around the rear wheel to access the rear of the door. You need to pull off the exterior fuel cover and reuse it. There are little indentations on the plastic part of the fuel door, use a small drill bit to drill them out and the whole fuel door will come out as one piece. From there, just swap over the fuel door cover and reinstall the new piece. It takes maybe an hour if you take your time.
Appreciate 2
NGT25620.50
      12-23-2022, 12:06 PM   #4
tattrie15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
I had this issue. Water got into the actuator and rusted the spring. I ordered the fuel door from ECS Tuning and received it within a week.

I removed the fender liner around the rear wheel to access the rear of the door. You need to pull off the exterior fuel cover and reuse it. There are little indentations on the plastic part of the fuel door, use a small drill bit to drill them out and the whole fuel door will come out as one piece. From there, just swap over the fuel door cover and reinstall the new piece. It takes maybe an hour if you take your time.
Thank you for the advice! I just got my replacement part in the other day from FCP euro so I will be following your tips
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      12-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #5
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Be careful when removing the old door pot. Maybe put some painters tape around the gas door opening to avoid scratching the paint.
Appreciate 0