BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Young driver caught going 308 km/h on QEW: OPP

05-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #23
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Nope, car impounded for 7 days, 30 day licence suspension on the spot and $10,000 fine.....which is equivalent to about $35 USD
That's just the beginning of his headaches.

If he is lucky to be insured in the next 10 years, his premium will be $1,000/month, if not more.

In addition:
"Stunt driving carries a maximum fine of $10,000, can lead to six months behind bars and a two-year licence suspension.
Dangerous driving can result in up to 10 years in prison in cases that cause bodily harm or death, according to the officer."

Last edited by Wolf 335; 05-11-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #24
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I got my driver's license in Michigan. Just over Ambasador Bridge from Canada. And there I had to worry and look out for Smokey while pulling 165mph runs outside the tracks.

Then I come here, and literally trade my license for a German one with no additional hasslle (and even before than for 6 months your US license is good) and woila! No more pesky speed limits! And guess what? It's FINE! No more crazy crashes here than anywhere else. The roads are nice, and people stay right except to pass. Otherwise you get a missile up your ass. Like it should be.

And if you do get caught, it's by a camera. 25 over is 30 Euro. No one will chase you down for doing 30 over.

That's why I call this country civilized. "Felony" and "Speeding" should not be used in a same sentence in any modern nation. And if they are, that nation (including US) is doing something majorly wrong. There is a better way. No one should go to jail because they drove.The end.

Well said. Let the big dogs eat!
Lucky you, that doesn't change things here though. And "pulling 165mph runs outside the tracks." is stupid.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      05-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #25
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
I got my driver's license in Michigan. Just over Ambasador Bridge from Canada. And there I had to worry and look out for Smokey while pulling 165mph runs outside the tracks.

Then I come here, and literally trade my license for a German one with no additional hasslle (and even before than for 6 months your US license is good) and woila! No more pesky speed limits! And guess what? It's FINE! No more crazy crashes here than anywhere else. The roads are nice, and people stay right except to pass. Otherwise you get a missile up your ass. Like it should be.

And if you do get caught, it's by a camera. 25 over is 30 Euro. No one will chase you down for doing 30 over.

That's why I call this country civilized. "Felony" and "Speeding" should not be used in a same sentence in any modern nation. And if they are, that nation (including US) is doing something majorly wrong. There is a better way. No one should go to jail because they drove.The end.

Problem here is that people are not trained to drive on highways. many of them have never even been in a car before, and now they are driving. Our drivers licensing is flawed and a joke.

So put that person on the highway traveling 80km/h in the left lane and this maniac going 300km/hr, perfect recipe for disaster.

It becomes a felony when you murder a family of 5 because you decided to drive 300km/hr. Put yourself in the victims shoes and tell me you would still see it your current way.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #26
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

Putting people in jail for speeding is only done by 'snowflake' judges
Appreciate 3
      05-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #27
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Lucky you, that doesn't change things here though. And "pulling 165mph runs outside the tracks." is stupid.
I think we need to agree to disagree on this one. I have a very different definition of stupid. And I'll leave it at that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Problem here is that people are not trained to drive on highways. many of them have never even been in a car before, and now they are driving. Our drivers licensing is flawed and a joke.

So put that person on the highway traveling 80km/h in the left lane and this maniac going 300km/hr, perfect recipe for disaster.

It becomes a felony when you murder a family of 5 because you decided to drive 300km/hr. Put yourself in the victims shoes and tell me you would still see it your current way.
First of, anyone going less than than 100kph should not even be be on a autobahn. Or a freeway back home. That's what country roads are for.

And if they are, AND they're in the left lane, than I reserve the right to pass in any free lane. The goal is never to hurt anyone. Generally speaking, here and in North America, stay right and you're fine.

And here if you're doing 80 in the left lane, you're going to be eaten by a 320kph Porsche. It happens sometimes. But no one gets in trouble. Left lane is for PASSING. And at 80 you're not passing anyone. So the blame goes to the person who got smoked, for impeding traffic. As it should be. The rest of the civilization moves. You should too.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but if you're slow stay away from the fast lane. It's easy, and it works when society accepts it. Like in the video I posted.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 05-11-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59562.00
      05-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #28
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think we need to agree to disagree on this one. I have a very different definition of stupid. And I'll leave it at that

First of, anyone going less than than 100kph should not even be be on a autobahn. Or a freeway back home. That's what country roads are for.

And if they are, AND they're in the left lane, than I reserve the right to pass in any free lane. The goal is never to hurt anyone. Generally speaking, here and in North America, stay right and you're fine.

And here if you're doing 80 in the left lane, you're going to be eaten by a 320kph Porsche. It happens sometimes. But no one gets in trouble. Left lane is for PASSING. And at 80 you're not passing anyone. So the blame goes to the person who got smoked for impeding. As it should be. The rest of the civilization moves. You should too.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but if you're slow stay away from the fast lane. It's easy.
Doing 165mph on a city street or public road at 16 years old is stupid, and if you don't see that I won't bother trying to explain it either....and this young guy or anyone else doing 191 mph on this or any other public road here is stupid.

There are other people who use the road and I'm sure the greatest driver that ever was and your car might be very capable but you might not be the only one who gets killed if you screw up. or if this young person crashes doing that kind of speed.

I think the speed limits are too low here, but there needs to be some reasonableness to it.
Appreciate 3
      05-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #29
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

And here if you're doing 80 in the left lane, you're going to be eaten by a 320kph Porsche. It happens sometimes. But no one gets in trouble. Left lane is for PASSING. And at 80 you're not passing anyone. So the blame goes to the person who got smoked, for impeding traffic. As it should be. The rest of the civilization moves. You should too.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but if you're slow stay away from the fast lane. It's easy.
A lot of drivers in UK could take that on board also, I've lost count of cars pulling out on me even without signalling.THESE people shouldn't be on motorways also.
Appreciate 3
      05-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #30
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Doing 165mph on a city street or public road at 16 years old is stupid, and if you don't see that I won't bother trying to explain it either....and this young guy or anyone else doing 191 mph on this or any other public road here is stupid.

There are other people who use the road and I'm sure the greatest driver that ever was and your car might be very capable but you might not be the only one who gets killed if you screw up. or if this young person crashes doing that kind of speed.

I think the speed limits are too low here, but there needs to be some reasonableness to it.
I think you and my wife see things in a similar way. She always tells me "I'm not worried about you, I'm worried about everyone else."

And she has a point.

But.

There is always a way out if you look far enough ahead, you anticipate, and you plan. Left lane? Middle lane? Right lane? Right Shoulder? Left Shoulder? Ditch? There is a way to keep is safe and reasonable, even at high speeds.

And like I said, here going 320kph is L E G A L, and for a good reason. Because it OBVIOUSLY can be done safely. It can also be done everywhere else, when people get over themselves and stay left except to pass, and watch their mirrors. That's all it takes really.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #31
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
A lot of drivers in UK could take that on board also, I've lost count of cars pulling out on me even without signalling.THESE people shouldn't be on motorways also.
THIS!

And THIS is what the police should punish. Putting other people at danger becasue they are on the cell phone and don't bother looking.

I would argue that fast drivers who pay attention are less of a threat than slow drivers who don't even bother looking before they turn, or enter an intersection or a roundabout.

Appreciate 1
M5Rick59562.00
      05-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #32
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
THIS!

And THIS is what the police should punish. Putting other people at danger becasue they are on the cell phone and don't bother looking.

I would argue that fast drivers who pay attention are less of a threat than slow drivers who don't even bother looking before they turn, or enter an intersection or a roundabout.
Whenever I come back from the continent and back on UK roads it is as if you are standing still on the motorway! The 'cash cow' system the law has here with cameras does not take into account bad drivers veering from one lane to the next and as you say,not paying attention.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #33
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:

When I have driven in Germany - it always takes me a few days to get it in my head they do not have near the asshats we do in the states that will no look slide to the left right in front of a car going 20-30 mph faster than them. Even here going 80 you have to watch out for these morons. Then you see those trucks who are going SLOWER than they do in the states and you are going double their speed and you just KNOW they are going to slide right over when you get close, but they don't. They drive correctly there and it is so refreshing. I am sure they have moron drivers too - but nothing like we do here. There is one every 30 minutes per highway travel at least here.

It is a great feeling for a few days for sure. They will certainly give you a missile up the ass too - I know what you mean! Lights and horn both even if you are going 100 MPH! LOL
5.M0NSTER3353.50
Germanauto9698.00
WolfGTI716.00
      05-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #34
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

I wonder how much traffic there was? At 10pm I would imagine a fair bit. This would determine how stupid I think this is... if there was ZERO traffic, then this doesn't really bother me. But it begs the question... at 300+km/h, how the F did he get caught?!?!? lol

Reminds me as a young pre-license(yes, under 16...) dumbass kid taking his best friends dad's 928s out for runs in the middle of the night. Yes, it will hit 150mph. Allegedly.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
M5Rick59562.00
      05-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #35
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
I wonder how much traffic there was? At 10pm I would imagine a fair bit. This would determine how stupid I think this is... if there was ZERO traffic, then this doesn't really bother me. But it begs the question... at 300+km/h, how the F did he get caught?!?!? lol

Reminds me as a young pre-license(yes, under 16...) dumbass kid taking his best friends dad's 928s out for runs in the middle of the night. Yes, it will hit 150mph. Allegedly.
So the QEW is s shit highway, I'd be very reluctant to do 160KHM on it never mind 308KMH. The traffic is always stupid busy and people are shitty drivers here. So yeah it was stupid, even if it was on the 407 with no traffic that speed is stupid for a 19 year old kid.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #36
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Whenever I come back from the continent and back on UK roads it is as if you are standing still on the motorway! The 'cash cow' system the law has here with cameras does not take into account bad drivers veering from one lane to the next and as you say,not paying attention.
Speed is heavily enforced and policed because it is a great way for plugging budget holes. The speed limit is set lower than the normal flow of traffic so you're easily able to mop up quick revenue picking off people at random and treating it all like a normal transaction.

People who have bought into the idea will tell you that speed is dangerous even though the majority of crashes happen at speeds lower than 35MPH in the US. And in urban areas the majority of fatalities are under that speed as well.

Obviously, speed can increase the severity of a crash (that's simple physics), but the reality is driving slower than traffic is more dangerous and the most important thing to do on the road is to be predictable and follow norms.

We'd be far better served in police enforcement of traffic related laws was actually geared toward improving road safety. Ticketing people for blocking the passing lane, impeding traffic by driving slower than the flow of traffic, failing to signal, tailgating, and working to ensure that drivers are taking the act of driving seriously -- especially putting down their phones.

But those things actually take real work. You can't just sit in a car waiting for a radar to bing while you watch cat videos on your phone.
Appreciate 4
5.M0NSTER3353.50
M5Rick59562.00
BigHunk269.50
Germanauto9698.00
      05-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #37
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
You can't just sit in a car waiting for a radar to bing while you watch cat videos on your phone.
MEEE-AAAU, License-and-registration...

Appreciate 2
M5Rick59562.00
      05-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #38
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick59562.00
BayE301341.00
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      05-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #39
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wowie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
My MBelgium friend -
Perhaps this was taken aboard the M3??
      05-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #40
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
My MBelgium friend -
Perhaps this was taken aboard the M3??
Positive my friend

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59562.00
      05-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #41
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
And in urban areas the majority of fatalities are under that speed as well.
Boy, I'd sure like to see those data. Car-to-car fatalities with speeds less than 35 vs. over?
      05-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #42
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Putting people in jail for speeding is only done by 'snowflake' judges
lolwut?
      05-11-2020, 09:16 PM   #43
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Speed is heavily enforced and policed because it is a great way for plugging budget holes. The speed limit is set lower than the normal flow of traffic so you're easily able to mop up quick revenue picking off people at random and treating it all like a normal transaction.

People who have bought into the idea will tell you that speed is dangerous even though the majority of crashes happen at speeds lower than 35MPH in the US. And in urban areas the majority of fatalities are under that speed as well.

Obviously, speed can increase the severity of a crash (that's simple physics), but the reality is driving slower than traffic is more dangerous and the most important thing to do on the road is to be predictable and follow norms.

We'd be far better served in police enforcement of traffic related laws was actually geared toward improving road safety. Ticketing people for blocking the passing lane, impeding traffic by driving slower than the flow of traffic, failing to signal, tailgating, and working to ensure that drivers are taking the act of driving seriously -- especially putting down their phones.

But those things actually take real work. You can't just sit in a car waiting for a radar to bing while you watch cat videos on your phone.
Kinetic energy = 1/2*m*v^2

You can't cheat physics. Kinetic energy is proportional to velocity squared. If you crash in a C class at 191 MPH they will be hunting for body parts at the accident scene.

I am for relaxing speed limits, but 191 is INSANE for a street car on a public road. This isn't an unrestricted section of the Autobahn. I would want my tires and car checked out quickly before I attempt to cruise at 191 for any length of time. Were the tires even rated for that? Plenty of owners put cheap tires on after the OEMs wear out.
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9698.00
Alfisti6496.00
euro*1657.50
      05-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #44
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Here in Ontario the good the honks were for the cop, everyone here thinks you shouldn't drive over the speed limit of 100KMH....hell driving under the speed limit in the left lane is a huge problem here.
Ontario and BC at least they are very uptight about the 100kmh speed limit. In Ontario I always notice those signs with the fines listed.

I've heard of cops impounding cars for going the equivalent of 85mph on Hwy 99 around Vancouver. I try to keep it below 75mph there.
Appreciate 0