BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Carwow: Worst 14 new car trends that must be stopped

05-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #23
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Drive a G20 330i, its sounds awful and obviously fake. It doesn't make the cabin sound nicer it just adds excessive amounts of un-necessary noise.
I get that there are some better than others, I just don't get the hate because it's fake. So fucking what if it's fake, is real fire/fuel/air/pipe something special?

Give me that Ferrari sound out of my speakers any damn day of the week and I won't care what the hell the car sounds like for "spectators."
And this is how Tesla wins.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #24
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Another for the list- plastic wheel arches.

BMW has them on the X vehicles. MB has them on the GL vehicles, and is slipping them into the Allroad E-Class wagon.

Cheap and, well, plasticky. Most egregious on a white vehicle with base trim, which means black plastic wheel arches. Looks like a 2012 Subaru Crosstrek XV.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #25
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
These trends must die!

1. Gloss black panels
2. Touch screen controls without redundant physical buttons
3. Over sized wheel with low profile tires -- Anything above 20" is insane
4. Electronic touch screen vent direction. (I'm looking at your Porsche and Tesla!)
5. Fix-a-flat instead of a spare tire/wheel

Last edited by GenXer; 05-15-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25064.00
Moflow2484.50
      05-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #26
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
These trends must die!

Cars are always getting bigger, but they should still have 17" wheels? Also, performance is increasing, which creates a need for big brakes, so the wheels much get larger.

Most people nowdays won't change a tire, it's too dangerous and sometimes too involved (another down-side to huge wheels/tires for you). In fact, insurance polls suggest people overwhelmingly prefer assistance, hence the AAA type coverage availability with most insurance policies. AAA is still the best though, as it doesn't count against you to use it, like it does with your insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #27
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cars are always getting bigger, but they should still have 17" wheels? Also, performance is increasing, which creates a need for big brakes, so the wheels much get larger.

Most people nowdays won't change a tire, it's too dangerous and sometimes too involved (another down-side to huge wheels/tires for you). In fact, insurance polls suggest people overwhelmingly prefer assistance, hence the AAA type coverage availability with most insurance policies. AAA is still the best though, as it doesn't count against you to use it, like it does with your insurance company.
17" wheels are too small as I said over 20" but they're coming out with 28" wheels and beyond.

I have AAA and have waited 2 hours for a tow truck since my 2012 NC Miata didn't come with a spare wheel and I was out in the middle of nowhere. It would have taken less than 20 minutes to mount a spare tire.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #28
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
These trends must die!

1. Gloss black panels
4. Electronic touch screen vent direction. (I'm looking at your Porsche and Tesla!)
I second the motion for Items #2 and #4. Considering how touch only controls can distract the driver, one can only question the final approval process ...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #29
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
17" wheels are too small as I said over 20" but they're coming out with 28" wheels and beyond.

I have AAA and have waited 2 hours for a tow truck since my 2012 NC Miata didn't come with a spare wheel and I was out in the middle of nowhere. It would have taken less than 20 minutes to mount a spare tire.
Unless the vehicle is extremely large, then yeah, I absolutely agree that above 22 is out of the question. Even 20" is insane to me, but I understand on certain cars. Weird thing is that you've got some relatively small cars, like the Corvette, with 20's.

Hard to fit a spare in a Miata, no?

But if it's important to you to not wait, just pick one up. That's what I did for my work car, bought a full size spare, and keep real tools in it as well, then there's no worries.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #30
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Unless the vehicle is extremely large, then yeah, I absolutely agree that above 22 is out of the question. Even 20" is insane to me, but I understand on certain cars. Weird thing is that you've got some relatively small cars, like the Corvette, with 20's.

But if it's important to you to not wait, just pick one up. That's what I did for my work car, bought a full size spare, and keep real tools in it as well, then there's no worries.
It’s a balance of traction and gyroscopic forces/acceleration, bigger wheels can give more traction, contact patch (no, not the ideal non-deformation solid wheel concept) and so on, but smaller wheels change direction and accelerate easier. So if you can make the big wheels light or compensate with a lot of power...or maybe it’s the power that requires them, it can work, but it’s usually obvious when this was a design consideration vs just dumb big wheels (that let dinky brakes show through)? IMO, you want the smallest wheels that clear the brakes and provide enough traction. Often, on earlier dodges and mustangs, the primary issue was the width, 400+hp vehicles should not be equipped with 255 tires in any situation. So you go wider if possible and only bigger diameter if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #31
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

I’m surprised no one mentioned the ever increasing size of vehicles generation after generation.

I believe this will change in the near future. There will paradigm shift towards reducing the size of vehicles.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #32
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

There's no room in a Miata's trunk for a spare. Even a donut would take 1/2 of the space in the "trunk" It came with a can of fix-a-flat and I eventually got a set of run flats. (They don't ride any differently in a Miata)

I had a C7 Z51 Corvette. The wheels/tires were staggered 19" in front with 245/35-19 RFT and 20" rear with 285/30-20 RFT

But it had magnetic ride suspension so it was very comfortable.

Last edited by GenXer; 05-15-2020 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:13 PM   #33
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I waited 2 hours waiting for a tow. Fix-a-flat will not fix this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00
      05-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #34
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
These trends must die!

1. Gloss black panels
That's a good list. I agree with you on the oversize wheels. I get that they're necessary for big brakes, but I really miss having sidewall. Mostly for the durability over potholes and stuff, but also for the ride, and if i'm being honest, the look. Chunky tires can look cool if you do them right, like an old race car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #35
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I waited 2 hours waiting for a tow. Fix-a-flat will not fix this.
A plug might, especially a plug plus some fix-a-flat to get to a reasonable place to get a new tire.
      05-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #36
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
I’m surprised no one mentioned the ever increasing size of vehicles generation after generation.

I believe this will change in the near future. There will paradigm shift towards reducing the size of vehicles.
Why do you think that? Will people get smaller? If gas is cheap and fast food is cheap and everywhere, cars will just keep getting larger.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #37
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
A plug might, especially a plug plus some fix-a-flat to get to a reasonable place to get a new tire.
Plug won't fix that it's too close to the sidewall and any legitimate tire shop will tell you that is unsafe to plug given its location.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #38
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Plug won't fix that it's too close to the sidewall and any legitimate tire shop will tell you that is unsafe to plug given its location.
He's saying a plug and fix a flat would allow you to get to the tire shop and get a new tire. That tire is toast, so why not try the plug plus goo?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #39
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drv4fun View Post
M8 with eco pro
Is there such a thing?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #40
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
Quote:
I don't understand the hate this gets. It's ego IMO. Car sounds better inside with it, obviously. But oh wait, it's not "real" exhaust fumes moving down a pipe, so it's terrible. We all know that real exhaust fumes moving down a pipe is really the cat's meow.

The only time it becomes an real issue is when you're on the highway (drone) or you change exhausts and the tones don't match.

"Oh hey, I'm such a delusional BMW owner that I don't care about the car sounding better inside from the factory, I want my car to sound better for everyone else, so I'm going to disconnect the good sound in the cabin, and spend a bunch of money making the exhaust sound better for other people."

Fucking lamers.

Quote:
I get that there are some better than others, I just don't get the hate because it's fake. So fucking what if it's fake, is real fire/fuel/air/pipe something special?

Give me that Ferrari sound out of my speakers any damn day of the week and I won't care what the hell the car sounds like for "spectators."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Fake sound bothers me because there are people who’s job it is to insulate the cabin from engine sounds. BMW is simultaneously spending money to keep engine sounds out of the cabin, while also spending money to engineer in fake engine sounds.

I’d be fine with the car being quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Yeah mate . I couldn't agree more

Manufacturers, will never be able to please 100% of all consumers, as you two show having opposite opinions of. Having had cars with bad cabin insulation in addition to under the hood and exhaust noise gets annoying especially at highway speeds, I would like a quiet cabin free from outside now. If I wanted to hear engine or exhaust sounds, I feel like rolling down the windows would be a better option IMO.

If some owners are happy with fake engine sounds, then BMW did their job to please those specific customers. I think part of the reason why some people don't like it, is because they prefer to hear the engine or exhaust naturally. Yes, there are many people who want other people to hear their cars as a way to show off, but there are also other people who just love hearing the sound their car makes.
Simple solution would be to offer an "off" mode similar to Toyota or Hyundai.
Moflow2484.50
      05-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #41
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
I would like a quiet cabin free from outside now.
You bought the wrong car. Could I interest you in a Lexus?

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #42
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i can understand eco pro on M8.. it can be useful on long trips besides most of the buyers wont be that "enthusiastic" probably or wannabes.. but there is one thing i hate about new cars and its overweight.. yes there are some needs and stuff.. but overweight is the killing factor for all cars.. except GT-R though..
      05-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #43
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
I just mean to get it to a shop. Plug kits are dead simple to use.
      05-15-2020, 10:13 PM   #44
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Isn't there a BMW OBD tool like OBDEleven? I've turned the SoundAktor off in both our VW and Audi.
Appreciate 0