BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Thank you for buying the iphone and making me rich!

08-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #45
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
So are you guys telling me as a 23 year old I should buy Apple or amazon stock?
I'd go with MSFT over Amazon.
The clouds rise.
Azure FTW!
      08-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #46
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoZZa View Post
iOS is better polished than Android? Seriously?!
Yes, that is clear fact from my experience using both, while Android has vastly improved. Due to bloat wear, manufacture crap, there are still issues, even plain android isn't perfect. Apps crash more frequently and the phone requires reboots from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #47
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaMoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Why is that? Fees? What's wrong with an established mutual fund with low fees?
ETFs generally have an order of magnitude lower fees. You also have more trade flexibility.

Maxing 401k may not be good advice because he needs to weigh his tax situation and investment options versus a normal brokerage account. At minimum you should contribute enough to get the full employer match, but automatically putting $18k doesn't make sense for everyone.
Blanket statement "Mutual funds are bad advice". Then backs it with etfs in general have lower fee. Not always, and thus the statement is misleading at best. For instance, VTG total stock mkt admiral, a very commonly held fund, has the same ER as the etf. ETFs also tend to have higher transaction costs. You are just generalizing to make it sound like you have some secret knowledge!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #48
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
iOS is better polished than Android? Seriously?!
You think it's even close? Android can't hold a candle to the stability, reliability, smoothness, speed and RAM management of iOS. I absolutely hate my Android phone and will be going back to iPhone the second the iPhone pro (8) is released.
Appreciate 2
bimmer4562950.00
Nachbar8023.00
      08-22-2017, 12:15 AM   #49
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
You think it's even close? Android can't hold a candle to the stability, reliability, smoothness, speed and RAM management of iOS. I absolutely hate my Android phone and will be going back to iPhone the second the iPhone pro (8) is released.
Android is too fragmented, most devices can't be upgraded to the latest version when it comes out and pure android only exists on a few devices. iOS runs on the hardware developed by apple to insure compatibility and stability. If an exploit is discovered it is patched quickly and is available immediately to all devices that can run the latest version, which is any iPhone that is within the last few years, I believe they are just dropping support for the iPhone 5 which is from 5 years ago because of the move to 64 bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 12:36 AM   #50
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Android is too fragmented, most devices can't be upgraded to the latest version when it comes out and pure android only exists on a few devices. iOS runs on the hardware developed by apple to insure compatibility and stability. If an exploit is discovered it is patched quickly and is available immediately to all devices that can run the latest version, which is any iPhone that is within the last few years, I believe they are just dropping support for the iPhone 5 which is from 5 years ago because of the move to 64 bit.
Yeah, but buying an iphone you're buying into a pre-defined 2 year obsolescence. The updates are specifically designed to make the older hardware slow so you upgrade your hardware, and there's no "fuck off apple and don't ask me again" option when it comes to the software updates. If you want the iPad that you purchased 3 years ago to still run at the same speed as it did when you purchased it, you need to click "remind me later" on apples latest update every time you want to use it.

At least if you buy an Android device, you know in 5 years time it will still be just as good as the day you bought it. Even better, when you do wear out the battery after 2 years, with many of the Android devices you can buy a new one for $30 and swap it over yourself.

Also, from time to time, Apple will make major changes to the interface (like ditching 'swipe to unlock' and replacing it with 'press the home key about 7 times to unlock') and not give you the option of staying with what you're used to.

I swore by iPhones for years. Now I've got an Android phone and I don't miss the iPhone at all.

Quote:
You think it's even close? Android can't hold a candle to the stability, reliability, smoothness, speed and RAM management of iOS..
Do me a favour, find someone still running an iPhone 6 that's been updated to the latest version of iOS. Use it for half a day and tell me what it's like in terms of stability, reliability, smoothness, speed and RAM management.

I'll give you a hint: Intentionally unusable.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 02:58 AM   #51
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

iPhones are like BMWs, everybody's leasing them and they're all new. Follow that rule and everything's just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #52
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Yeah, but buying an iphone you're buying into a pre-defined 2 year obsolescence. The updates are specifically designed to make the older hardware slow so you upgrade your hardware, and there's no "fuck off apple and don't ask me again" option when it comes to the software updates. If you want the iPad that you purchased 3 years ago to still run at the same speed as it did when you purchased it, you need to click "remind me later" on apples latest update every time you want to use it.

At least if you buy an Android device, you know in 5 years time it will still be just as good as the day you bought it. Even better, when you do wear out the battery after 2 years, with many of the Android devices you can buy a new one for $30 and swap it over yourself.

Also, from time to time, Apple will make major changes to the interface (like ditching 'swipe to unlock' and replacing it with 'press the home key about 7 times to unlock') and not give you the option of staying with what you're used to.

I swore by iPhones for years. Now I've got an Android phone and I don't miss the iPhone at all.

Do me a favour, find someone still running an iPhone 6 that's been updated to the latest version of iOS. Use it for half a day and tell me what it's like in terms of stability, reliability, smoothness, speed and RAM management.

I'll give you a hint: Intentionally unusable.
Just flat out wrong. iPhone 6 is actually still the most used iPhone and I know dozens of people with them. I just talked to someone last week who fixed his cracked screen on his iPhone 6 and he said it's the best phone he's ever had...which is why he took the time to fix it.

Try again...iOS destroys Android if for no other reason than it's not terribly fragmented. I have a 5 year old iPad running the latest iOS and still works perfectly. Not as fast as my new iPad Pro, but stable and smooth as ever.

I have a Note 5....do I get Android 7.0? No. I have to run Marshmallow and it BLOWS. Trust me dude, I have owned my share of Android devices and all are in the garbage right now. I've owned Apple devices and every one of them still work including my iPod Nano, iPhone 3G and iPad2.

According to Google:

4.1.Jelly Bean 2.7%
4.2. Jelly Bean 3.8%
4.3 Jelly Bean 1.1%
4.4 KitKat 16.0%
5.0 Lollipop 7.4%
5.1 Lollipop 21.8%
6.0 Marshmallow 32.3%
7.0 Nougat 12.3%
7.1 Nougat 1.2%

LOL....<15% of Android devices run the newest Android OS. Almost 60% run a version OLDER than Marshmallow.

According to Apple, over 80% of all iOS devices are running iOS 10 (newest) and the remaining are running iOS9 (second newest).

This makes the user experience so much better because everyone is running the same version and all the bugs are worked out on 1 version isntead of 7. And Apple actually supports all their devices with the software pushes. My Note JUST got Marshmallow like 2 weeks ago and it was already outdated when they pushed it because Nougat has been available for a year.

BTW, since the Note 4, all of the flagship Android devices DO NOT have a removable battery. There are already rumors the headphone jack will be gone on later Samsung devices and the Pixel.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 08-22-2017 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #53
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I was making the case for Apple...I know all of this.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #54
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Thanks guys for buying the iphone 7 and making me rich with apple stock at all time high in after hours trading and likely to open higher tomorrow. Now make sure to buy the iphone 8 and thank you in advance!
Hell of a life will all that money still in these forums
      08-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #55
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
So are you guys telling me as a 23 year old I should buy Apple or amazon stock?
I'd go with MSFT over Amazon.
The clouds rise.
Azure FTW!
Xtabi1698.50
      08-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #56
DoZZa
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY17 | M2 | DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Yes, that is clear fact from my experience using both, while Android has vastly improved. Due to bloat wear, manufacture crap, there are still issues, even plain android isn't perfect. Apps crash more frequently and the phone requires reboots from time to time.
I have to admit that iOS is probably the more stable OS. But its far from perfect.

Personally I have never had my Android phone crash, a Nexus 6P. But at the same time I have never had any of my iPhones crash over the years that I have used them.

I moved to Android because I was sick of the cat'n'mouse game with jailbreaking. At least with Android, gaining root access is usually far easier than jailbreaking the iPhones of today.

You may ask why I need root access. Its not really a case of need, but more a case of want. With root access, a whole new world of possibility is opened up. One example is call recording. While call recording is possible to some extent on a non rooted or jailbroken phone, its far from ideal and has some pretty big limitations. Thats just one example, there are many more, and if you care that much, Google is your friend.
E30 320iS | '90
E28 M535i | '84
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #57
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have to admit that iOS is probably the more stable OS. But its far from perfect.

Personally I have never had my Android phone crash, a Nexus 6P. But at the same time I have never had any of my iPhones crash over the years that I have used them.

I moved to Android because I was sick of the cat'n'mouse game with jailbreaking. At least with Android, gaining root access is usually far easier than jailbreaking the iPhones of today.

You may ask why I need root access. Its not really a case of need, but more a case of want. With root access, a whole new world of possibility is opened up. One example is call recording. While call recording is possible to some extent on a non rooted or jailbroken phone, its far from ideal and has some pretty big limitations. Thats just one example, there are many more, and if you care that much, Google is your friend.
Apparently the stock google launcher is finally getting notification bubbles in Android Oreo 8. Still no numbers in the notification bubbles thought. When I found out stock android didn't have notification bubbles and that you gotta jump through hoops to get it, I was like no way, iOS had that for so long and it's extremely useful, I just couldn't believe that Android didn't have it and I had to go back to the stock Samsung launcher to get it working again.

I like my phone to work out of the box, I can't be bothered to fiddle with crap anymore. My jailbreaking days are over, there is really no need to anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #58
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Just flat out wrong. iPhone 6 is actually still the most used iPhone and I know dozens of people with them. I just talked to someone last week who fixed his cracked screen on his iPhone 6 and he said it's the best phone he's ever had...which is why he took the time to fix it.

Try again...iOS destroys Android if for no other reason than it's not terribly fragmented. I have a 5 year old iPad running the latest iOS and still works perfectly. Not as fast as my new iPad Pro, but stable and smooth as ever.

I have a Note 5....do I get Android 7.0? No. I have to run Marshmallow and it BLOWS. Trust me dude, I have owned my share of Android devices and all are in the garbage right now. I've owned Apple devices and every one of them still work including my iPod Nano, iPhone 3G and iPad2.

According to Google:

4.1.Jelly Bean 2.7%
4.2. Jelly Bean 3.8%
4.3 Jelly Bean 1.1%
4.4 KitKat 16.0%
5.0 Lollipop 7.4%
5.1 Lollipop 21.8%
6.0 Marshmallow 32.3%
7.0 Nougat 12.3%
7.1 Nougat 1.2%

LOL....<15% of Android devices run the newest Android OS. Almost 60% run a version OLDER than Marshmallow.

According to Apple, over 80% of all iOS devices are running iOS 10 (newest) and the remaining are running iOS9 (second newest).

This makes the user experience so much better because everyone is running the same version and all the bugs are worked out on 1 version isntead of 7. And Apple actually supports all their devices with the software pushes. My Note JUST got Marshmallow like 2 weeks ago and it was already outdated when they pushed it because Nougat has been available for a year.

BTW, since the Note 4, all of the flagship Android devices DO NOT have a removable battery. There are already rumors the headphone jack will be gone on later Samsung devices and the Pixel.
I guess your milage varies. Both the iPhone 6's in this house suffer constant application crashes, and after two years of use, they now enjoy less than 4 hours standby time off the charger.

We've got an iPad original which is used for one thing - spotify. It was perfect in IOS 9, but as soon as it took the forced iOS 10 update its speed became totally unusable.

That's the tradeoff - if you force your users to upgrade you also force new resource intensive software onto slower hardware - so it gets slower and slower over time. ... which is GREAT if you're in the business of selling new hardware.

Fragmentation is NOT a problem for users. Apple boasts about its lack of fragmentation to DEVELOPERS. Yes, it's easy to develop apps for a single hardware & software environment. But as a user, I could give a crap about how difficult apps are to create.

The PC market was "fragmented" for many, many years. It also outsold Mac for many, many, years - because fragmentation is a byproduct of giving your users choice.

The advantage of a fragmented software market is when you buy a phone running Jelly Bean and leave it running Jelly Bean five years later is it is still just as fast and just as usable as the day you bought it. Yes, it doesn't have the bells and whistles of Nugat, but it also doesn't have to deal with the overhead.

I have a Samsung J1 which I purchased almost five years ago that is still perfect for making and receiving calls and text, and has a standby time of about a week between charges. There is absolutely no reason why I'd want it running a newer version of Android.

With all these constant updates from apple, all they add is eye candy. Seriously, IOS 9 was more intuitive and usable in almost every way than the shit they're pushing on users today. It seems Tim Cook got everything shit about Android's interface and integrated it into iOS 10 with no way of turning it off.

If you're happy doing exactly what Apple tells you you can, and dutifully give them $1,000 every 24 months for new hardware - you'll love the iPhone.

I moved to Android so I could get half-decent battery life and "swipe to unlock". Previously I'd found android unintuitive and shit, but thanks to iOS 10, it's now less unintuitive and shit than the apple alternative. ... Not because android's got better, but because iOS has got worse.

And yes - Google and Samsung are integrating batteries on their flagship phones at the moment - they're in the game of competing directly with apple and if you want to make a water-resistant phone it's easier with a non-removable battery. But not _all_ flagship phones have inbuilt batteries.

Check the specs of the LG V20 for an example of a current phone with a swappable battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #59
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

I still use an iPhone 4 for Harry's Laptimer duty only.
In no way is it slow, it does the job really well. Try that with Android that came out in 2010.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #60
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I still use an iPhone 4 for Harry's Laptimer duty only.
In no way is it slow, it does the job really well. Try that with Android that came out in 2010.
My son and daughter use iPhone 5s with no problems. I have them both on the latest version of iOS. The batteries are also holding up on them.
      08-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #61
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I want some Oreos. Mmmmm
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #62
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

I saw someone post earlier about buying AAPL at $90 per share...?

I bought about $30k worth of AAPL in 2002 for $15 a share
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562950.00
      08-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #63
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
You are very welcome!
Already ordered the 8!