BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Does 530e have launch control

03-11-2022, 04:47 PM   #23
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I don't know many people that care about fuel economy and performance, equally or even close. It's usually heavily weighted one way or the other. Although that is changing. More people I know are starting to get interested in electric and performance together.
I don't especially care about fuel economy but I do care about the environment. So range and performance in a hybrid is important to me. And I do care about performance. So I want performance and I want to minimize my damage to the environment.

I have put down a deposit on a Lucid Air Pure but I am not committed to follow through on it. I am looking at replacing my 2018 530e with a BEV in 2023 or 2024. Right now, the Lucid is my primary option but by that time there will be other good choices as well.
I fully expect the new gen of 5 series to have hybrid and electric options, if not exclusively so. I will be shocked if there's not a 6 cylinder hybrid option. It's already been reported that there will be an M5 hybrid.

I'm hoping for several offerings, both hybrid and traditional ICE. The 545e looks really cool. I just want one more before I have to go there. Really, I want a chance to order a 550 in my lifetime with an all ICE V8 in it, and I won't be able to do that in the g30 generation.

As far as the environment, I hear you. I care about the environment. I just don't think anything we drive makes a difference until the industrial activity in emerging economies like China, Russia, and India put in some effort. What we drive, even collectively, is a drop in the bucket. And the carbon footprint of building an electric car is as bad as driving one. I care about the environment, I just don't think we have the solutions right now. We have political spin for votes and marketing to take our money (just like anything else).

Sorry - tangent there. Long way of saying, I get it. And the 545e looks awesome.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0