BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Until when can you order a G30?

03-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #1
Deho
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 MINI Countryman SE

Until when can you order a G30?

Hi!

I've been the owner of a 530e that I absolutely loved but COVID had a big impact on my finances and I had to sell it more than a year ago.

Now that business has picked up again I'd like, as soon as finances allow, to order a G30 again.

However I'm seeing a lot of rumors about the new generation and fear that I won't like it nearly as much (I like physical buttons dammit, please don't have me use a giant screen for everything).

Do you know when production of the G30 model will end and until approximately when I'll be able to order a brand new G30 to specs? Also, do you think the new gen will be fully revealed before that date?

I'd hate to miss my last opportunity to get a brand new G30.

I'm in Canada, if that changes anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Some new BMWs are getting the touchscreen deleted, FYI.

FWIW, there are also new supply chain issue due to whats going on in the Ukraine. BMW just closed their European plants for a week.

Start doing some research here as far and end of production for the G30:

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1727813
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #3
Deho
Private
Rep

Alright, I'll take a look at that thread to see if I can find info on the end of production date for the G30.

As of today, every option that matters to me is available in the canadian configurator.

As for the touchscreen, I was aluding to the fact that the G60 will probably have important functionality transfered to the touchscreen, like the i4, iX, and most recently the 2 series active tourer. That would make it impossible for BMW to omit the touchscreen functionality.

The new 5 series sure seems to be going that route: https://www.motor1.com/news/549247/n...nterior-spied/
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deho View Post
Alright, I'll take a look at that thread to see if I can find info on the end of production date for the G30.

As of today, every option that matters to me is available in the canadian configurator.

As for the touchscreen, I was aluding to the fact that the G60 will probably have important functionality transfered to the touchscreen, like the i4, iX, and most recently the 2 series active tourer. That would make it impossible for BMW to omit the touchscreen functionality.

The new 5 series sure seems to be going that route: https://www.motor1.com/news/549247/n...nterior-spied/
I am thinking MY2023 will be the last G30. With MY2024 launching the new platform. So EOP should be June 2023.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #5
Deho
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I am thinking MY2023 will be the last G30. With MY2024 launching the new platform. So EOP should be June 2023.
Thanks for the answer! Here's hoping that I can muster the funds until then OR that the G60 will be to my tastes, which I frankly doubt seeing the direction BMW has taken with its giant touchscreens.
Appreciate 1
NGT25619.00
      03-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the answer! Here's hoping that I can muster the funds until then OR that the G60 will be to my tastes, which I frankly doubt seeing the direction BMW has taken with its giant touchscreens.
It is up in the air for sure what the new platform will look like.

BMW purposefully is separating their BEV platform out from their ICE platform. So we'll get a i5 as the BEV 5-Series and the 5-Series will still live on with an ICE and PHEV option under the 5-Series moniker. So they may take a softer route where the i5 gets more touch and a forward focused technical setup like the i4 and ix while the 5-Series stays a bit more traditional.

A smart move as the BEV buyers tend to tilt younger and more tech focused than the traditional 5-Series buyer.

I'm younger (under 40) so I'm eagerly looking forward to the i5 and potentially going full BEV when I replace my 530xe sometime after 2026. Should be around the LCI of the i5 to give it a bit of time to prove itself against the competition.

Good luck on your journey
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It is up in the air for sure what the new platform will look like.

BMW purposefully is separating their BEV platform out from their ICE platform. So we'll get a i5 as the BEV 5-Series and the 5-Series will still live on with an ICE and PHEV option under the 5-Series moniker. So they may take a softer route where the i5 gets more touch and a forward focused technical setup like the i4 and ix while the 5-Series stays a bit more traditional.

A smart move as the BEV buyers tend to tilt younger and more tech focused than the traditional 5-Series buyer.

I'm younger (under 40) so I'm eagerly looking forward to the i5 and potentially going full BEV when I replace my 530xe sometime after 2026. Should be around the LCI of the i5 to give it a bit of time to prove itself against the competition.

Good luck on your journey
I hope everything you said comes true. I'm also under 40 but on the opposite end of the consumer spectrum. I hope there's a more traditional ICE version for one more go round.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Deho
Private
Rep

Quote:
So they may take a softer route where the i5 gets more touch and a forward focused technical setup like the i4 and ix while the 5-Series stays a bit more traditional.
I'd be very surprised if they did that as that would be less cost-effective to have different interiors for EVs and ICE vehicles. My guess is that we'll get a giant touchscreen and less physical buttons in the whole range. That's also what they did with the ICE 2 series active tourer: https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/10/05/2...active-tourer/

Even if it did get an interior like the current X5 or 3 series, I must admit that I still like the G30 console better.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
So they may take a softer route where the i5 gets more touch and a forward focused technical setup like the i4 and ix while the 5-Series stays a bit more traditional.
I'd be very surprised if they did that as that would be less cost-effective to have different interiors for EVs and ICE vehicles. My guess is that we'll get a giant touchscreen and less physical buttons in the whole range. That's also what they did with the ICE 2 series active tourer: https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/10/05/2...active-tourer/

Even if it did get an interior like the current X5 or 3 series, I must admit that I still like the G30 console better.
I don't know. It depends on what direction they go with the rest of the line. I could see them having one interior style dedicated across all the EVs, including i5, and a more traditional interior in the hybrids and/or ICE (if they keep any).

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0