BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions CPO vs Extended Warranty

03-09-2022, 05:20 PM   #1
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

CPO vs Extended Warranty

My car still has plenty left on factory warranty, Oct 2023, but I've been researching Extended Maintenance Plans and Warranties. For sure the extended maintenance plan can be transferred to another owner if I ever decide to sell, but it gets "foggy" with CPO and Extended Warranties. The CPO can be transferred for $200 to another owner, but most Extended Warranties cannot be transferred unless it's a 3rd party type. My car does not have CPO currently, but is within the 4 year/mileage to have it certified.

It's a tough call because the CPO will not cover a LOT of things, such as these:
Critically, the BMW CPO warranty also does not cover a fairly large number of suspension components, including ball joints, bushings, coil springs, control arms and brackets, stabilizer bar links and supports, strut elements and shock absorbers, and steering tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves. That doesn’t leave much of the suspension left to be covered.

The list of body-related items not covered by the BMW CPO warranty is also quite extensive. Some highlights include water leaks, various structural parts, body panels, squeaks, rattles, and body seals and gaskets.

From what I've researched extended Warranties will cover ALL of those if you opt for the top tier program.

I guess if I could find a Top Tier Extended Warranty that can be transferred to a new owner, i'd go that route versus CPO.

I'm definitely sold on getting the extended maintenance package though as things get pricey after 4 years.

If anyone has better advice, please feel free!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
Marior20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

Hey Bud , I always get extended coverage when i buy my cars as I tend to stay with them for a bit. I agree that CPO does not cover most high ticket item repairs. I currently have CNA National Warranty they are great and im covered until 130K miles. They covered my suspension , steering rack and a few other things. Just my 2 cents .. good luck. Extended over CPO all day for me.
Appreciate 1
HerkHealer1717.50
      03-09-2022, 09:58 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
BMW extended warranties transfer to the next owner as they are attached to the VIN. My BMW ESC explicitly mentions this in its terms.

There have been extensive debates on the forum of the value or not so I won't rehash all of that...

But I would say CPO or not is a much murkier pool to swim in.

The BMW Extended Service Contract is identical to the CPO Extended Service Contract (it acts as a "wrap" to add additional coverage to the base CPO plan and covers many of the base CPO plan exclusions). I would say, you're likely better off just buying the BMW ESC (or a reputable other warranty) than you would be going down the CPO route unless you are a very high mileage driver who could benefit from the unlimited mileage coverage afforded to the CPO policies.

Just keep in mind BMW ESC has an aggregate limit clause so you might hit a limit if you go the CPO route and do have extreme milage and encounter heavy repairs...

All that said, I am generally a fan of extended warranties the more miles you put on the vehicle. The lower your mileage the less likely you'll hit any walls...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 11:43 PM   #4
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
BMW extended warranties transfer to the next owner as they are attached to the VIN. My BMW ESC explicitly mentions this in its terms.

There have been extensive debates on the forum of the value or not so I won't rehash all of that...

But I would say CPO or not is a much murkier pool to swim in.

The BMW Extended Service Contract is identical to the CPO Extended Service Contract (it acts as a "wrap" to add additional coverage to the base CPO plan and covers many of the base CPO plan exclusions). I would say, you're likely better off just buying the BMW ESC (or a reputable other warranty) than you would be going down the CPO route unless you are a very high mileage driver who could benefit from the unlimited mileage coverage afforded to the CPO policies.

Just keep in mind BMW ESC has an aggregate limit clause so you might hit a limit if you go the CPO route and do have extreme milage and encounter heavy repairs...

All that said, I am generally a fan of extended warranties the more miles you put on the vehicle. The lower your mileage the less likely you'll hit any walls...
Thanks Apex. I understand the extended maintenance program 100%.
Does the BMW extended warranty you have omit the same coverages as the CPO ? (Suspension, etc). I looked up the extended warranty recommended above (CNA). Its sold by BMW dealerships as a 3rd party i presume, but definitely is not transferable. It does offer nice coverages though.

For me paying for ext maintenance and ext warranty is piece of mind. I plan on keeping it for quite some time as these will be the last ICE M550s made.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:47 AM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Thanks Apex. I understand the extended maintenance program 100%.
Does the BMW extended warranty you have omit the same coverages as the CPO ? (Suspension, etc). I looked up the extended warranty recommended above (CNA). Its sold by BMW dealerships as a 3rd party i presume, but definitely is not transferable. It does offer nice coverages though.

For me paying for ext maintenance and ext warranty is piece of mind. I plan on keeping it for quite some time as these will be the last ICE M550s made.
I documented the exclusions @
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...45&postcount=6

I have the BMW Extended Warranty 7Y/100K mile Platinum coverage. It covers more than the standard CPO warranty, but the exact same as the CPO Platinum "wrap" policy that cost extra on top of the base CPO.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 04:22 AM   #6
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Following. I'm in a similar situation. I just thought all "wear and tear" items were excluded from all warranties (not service plans). Suspension has always been excluded from CPO and the other BMW official offerings. I was just going to go with two more years for $4000 which I think they call platinum but it's basically two more years of CPO. I'm in year one of CPO now. All this said, I'm all ears. Suspension is expensive and a given for replacement at some point.
NGT25619.00
      03-10-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
PPMKING
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

From my experience with extended warranties those suspension exclusions are typical. Almost all I've dealt with never cover struts & shocks, however some might cover control arms, bushings (my last claim covered the control arms). Also from my experience it's not unusual that they don't cover body parts/leaks the OP mentioned.

As to what's the best route really depends on your comfort level with dealing with 3rd party warranties. CPO is more hassle free, less red tape, where 3rd party you need a reputable company, and there's little more red tape. However CPO coverage time is much shorter than what a 3rd party offers. Now if you go with BMW ESC that might be better and less hassle than other 3rd party since bmw is the claims administrator.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 09:44 AM   #8
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Following. I'm in a similar situation. I just thought all "wear and tear" items were excluded from all warranties (not service plans). Suspension has always been excluded from CPO and the other BMW official offerings. I was just going to go with two more years for $4000 which I think they call platinum but it's basically two more years of CPO. I'm in year one of CPO now. All this said, I'm all ears. Suspension is expensive and a given for replacement at some point.
Joe, from what I've read up on CPO, it kicks in immediately after the factory for 1 year, but then you can extend it for another year.......and that's it ? Is that correct ? If so, then I wont be going the CPO route for sure. For one, I'd have to pay for the CPO certification which i'm sure is pricey, but then if it only lasts 2 years maximum, then i'd have to switch over to something else afterwards anyway.

It seems my best option might be going with the 7yr/100k BMW extended platinum that Apex has and not worry about it until 2030. I have fairly low miles at 12k so it makes sense to me. I'm going to check to see if that covers DHP components first before I do anything because that is tied into the suspension for sure. As mentioned, I definitely want something that is transferable also in case I decide to sell.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 10:23 AM   #9
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Joe, from what I've read up on CPO, it kicks in immediately after the factory for 1 year, but then you can extend it for another year.......and that's it ? Is that correct ? If so, then I wont be going the CPO route for sure. For one, I'd have to pay for the CPO certification which i'm sure is pricey, but then if it only lasts 2 years maximum, then i'd have to switch over to something else afterwards anyway.

It seems my best option might be going with the 7yr/100k BMW extended platinum that Apex has and not worry about it until 2030. I have fairly low miles at 12k so it makes sense to me. I'm going to check to see if that covers DHP components first before I do anything because that is tied into the suspension for sure. As mentioned, I definitely want something that is transferable also in case I decide to sell.
Depending on what state you buy it in, you can also get refund for unused warranty if you sell before it's over. I got $1,000 refund after trading my Tahoe for the 540. And I also had warranty claims that probably broke even with what I paid for the coverage (big one was stereo and touch screen replacement, also a thermostat replacement).

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

CPO can be extended for up to two years (basically BMW is always allowing you to max out at 7 years from the build date). If you are low mileage the CPO route would be a waste of money as it wouldn’t offer anything in addition while adding extra costs (certification + extended warranty buying).

If you take a look at the link I shared earlier it enumerated what BMWs plan doesn’t cover.

BMW plans are like all things BMW unnecessarily complicated and confusing. For instance, the cheap power train plus plan covers motor mounts while the most expensive platinum plan does not.

It will settle down though on pricing and claims process. BMW has the flexibility of being any dealership and they do the claims work. But some third party plans may be more comprehensive if you can trust them to handle claims smoothly.

For me, the ESC made sense to give me cover under this chip shortage and pricing mess blows over. I also got a better price on the BMW plan from the dealership who gets mentioned here a lot than I did from reputable third party plans.
Appreciate 1
HerkHealer1717.50
      03-10-2022, 12:24 PM   #11
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
CPO can be extended for up to two years (basically BMW is always allowing you to max out at 7 years from the build date). If you are low mileage the CPO route would be a waste of money as it wouldn’t offer anything in addition while adding extra costs (certification + extended warranty buying).

If you take a look at the link I shared earlier it enumerated what BMWs plan doesn’t cover.

BMW plans are like all things BMW unnecessarily complicated and confusing. For instance, the cheap power train plus plan covers motor mounts while the most expensive platinum plan does not.

It will settle down though on pricing and claims process. BMW has the flexibility of being any dealership and they do the claims work. But some third party plans may be more comprehensive if you can trust them to handle claims smoothly.

For me, the ESC made sense to give me cover under this chip shortage and pricing mess blows over. I also got a better price on the BMW plan from the dealership who gets mentioned here a lot than I did from reputable third party plans.
Thanks APex !

Really appreciate the insight. Like I mentioned, i still have about 1.5 years before I make these purchases, but I like to do my homework early. Sounds like im going with the ESC Platinum 7/100 for certain though. There is no way I will be putting big miles on this beast.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #12
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks APex !

Really appreciate the insight. Like I mentioned, i still have about 1.5 years before I make these purchases, but I like to do my homework early. Sounds like im going with the ESC Platinum 7/100 for certain though. There is no way I will be putting big miles on this beast.
We are very much the same. Data informs decisions

Since you're low mileage you can shave some money off by going with a lower mileage option on the plan. But I don't have the delta on the difference.

I used Christine @ Steve Thomas BMW in CA who is a forum sponsor and posts a fair bit. She's pretty smooth so you can shoot her a request for some numbers and come back to it when you're ready. I originally had gotten a quote when I took delivery, but ended up buying the plan over 2 years later. So she won't hound you up to "make a deal now" which is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
NGT25619.00
      03-10-2022, 07:28 PM   #13
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

CPO can be extended for up to two years (basically BMW is always allowing you to max out at 7 years from the build date). If you are low mileage the CPO route would be a waste of money as it wouldn't offer anything in addition while adding extra costs (certification + extended warranty buying).

If you take a look at the link I shared earlier it enumerated what BMWs plan doesn't cover.

So what's the difference between extending CPO and the ESC? I've also got a CPO (2018) and my coverage on the CPO won't end for another 19ish months. But I too like to know my stuff before the decisions are upon me.

I've got a 2018 540. First year of CPO is up 10/2023. I've got 33k miles on it and only drive 10-15k miles per year. I'll probably have 50-55k miles when my CPO ends and it might take me another 5 years to get to 100k.

Frankly, I think I'll have the car for 5 years or so, maybe more if it proves really reliable. But I would be shocked if I kept it past 100k miles. Around 80k miles, knowing me, it will just become a good excuse to start shopping.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 08:30 PM   #14
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
So what's the difference between extending CPO and the ESC? I've also got a CPO (2018) and my coverage on the CPO won't end for another 19ish months. But I too like to know my stuff before the decisions are upon me.

I've got a 2018 540. First year of CPO is up 10/2023. I've got 33k miles on it and only drive 10-15k miles per year. I'll probably have 50-55k miles when my CPO ends and it might take me another 5 years to get to 100k.

Frankly, I think I'll have the car for 5 years or so, maybe more if it proves really reliable. But I would be shocked if I kept it past 100k miles. Around 80k miles, knowing me, it will just become a good excuse to start shopping.
CPO lasts 2 years after factory, but you have to pay to extend an extra year. If you get the same, if not better, BMW ESC package it can go 7yrs/100k miles. To me thats a big difference. I guess you could still get the ESC while in your 2nd year of CPO, but why waste the money? Just get the BMW ESC Platinum 7/100 and be done w it is my thinking.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 08:55 PM   #15
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

The CPO warranty is very limited, but adds 1Y of unlimited mileage coverage at then end of the base factory warranty coverage. You can extend it by up to two years of unlimited mileage coverage, but only at the “Platinum” coverage level. Which makes the CPO coverage a lot more comprehensive.

Although the CPO extended is unlimited miles it has an aggregate claim limit that takes the value of the car at repair time into account. I imagine that is to allow BMW to deny coverage if you racked up 100K miles in a year… But it isn’t as pretty seeing it there.

From discussions on the forum there is less variation on the CPO extended cost. Joe-BMW33 mentioned it is fixed at $4K for 2Y I believe.
Appreciate 1
NGT25619.00
      03-10-2022, 10:39 PM   #16
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The CPO warranty is very limited, but adds 1Y of unlimited mileage coverage at then end of the base factory warranty coverage. You can extend it by up to two years of unlimited mileage coverage, but only at the “Platinum” coverage level. Which makes the CPO coverage a lot more comprehensive.

Although the CPO extended is unlimited miles it has an aggregate claim limit that takes the value of the car at repair time into account. I imagine that is to allow BMW to deny coverage if you racked up 100K miles in a year… But it isn’t as pretty seeing it there.

From discussions on the forum there is less variation on the CPO extended cost. Joe-BMW33 mentioned it is fixed at $4K for 2Y I believe.
Right, I'd seen him post about the fixed cost. And that was my plan to do right before that first year of CPO is up. But if an ESC has more comprehensive coverage, then I'd be interested even if more cost variation or just more cost. I'm not as worried about mileage, since 100k is probably my max before I start shopping anyway.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 10:42 PM   #17
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

CPO lasts 2 years after factory, but you have to pay to extend an extra year. If you get the same, if not better, BMW ESC package it can go 7yrs/100k miles. To me thats a big difference. I guess you could still get the ESC while in your 2nd year of CPO, but why waste the money? Just get the BMW ESC Platinum 7/100 and be done w it is my thinking.
My question really is if the ESC covers more than the CPO does.

I think CPO is actually one year after factory, and then you can buy two more years to get to 7 total, unlimited miles.

I am not worried about hitting the 100k miles before 7 years, so I'm interested if the ESC covers more and is better suited for me. No concern about miles, so my emphasis would be on max coverage AND reliable claim service.

Obviously, coverage means nothing without claim service.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 11:02 PM   #18
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I think CPO is actually one year after factory, and then you can buy two more years to get to 7 total, unlimited miles.

I am not worried about hitting the 100k miles before 7 years, so I'm interested if the ESC covers more and is better suited for me. No concern about miles, so my emphasis would be on max coverage AND reliable claim service.

The 7yr/100k is through BMW so it should be identical to a CPO on claim filing. I dont know if CPO is 2 or 3 years, but when you say youre getting 7 years, i think youre including the 4 year factory. The ESC Platinum is 7 years AFTER factory, or 11 yrs total if you want to include the factory 4yr into it. Hope that helps clear it up.
Appreciate 1
NGT25619.00
      03-10-2022, 11:21 PM   #19
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The 7yr/100k is through BMW so it should be identical to a CPO on claim filing. I dont know if CPO is 2 or 3 years, but when you say youre getting 7 years, i think youre including the 4 year factory. The ESC Platinum is 7 years AFTER factory, or 11 yrs total if you want to include the factory 4yr into it. Hope that helps clear it up.
Yes, thank you. That makes sense. I was including the factory warranty, which I'm actually still under. My first year CPO, which of course is already paid for, begins late this fall (I think October).

I appreciate you clearing that up. Now I've got something to research as far as coverage of CPO vs ESC.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 11:41 PM   #20
PPMKING
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, thank you. That makes sense. I was including the factory warranty, which I'm actually still under. My first year CPO, which of course is already paid for, begins late this fall (I think October).

I appreciate you clearing that up. Now I've got something to research as far as coverage of CPO vs ESC.

Thanks!
There seems to be a lot of confusion here. The BMW ESC coverage of 7yr/100k is from the original in-service date. It's not an additional 7yrs/100k on a new or used vehicle or CPO.
Attached Images

Last edited by PPMKING; 03-10-2022 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
HerkHealer1717.50
NGT25619.00
      03-11-2022, 08:16 AM   #21
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPMKING View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion here. The BMW ESC coverage of 7yr/100k is from the original in-service date. It's not an additional 7yrs/100k on a new or used vehicle or CPO.
PPMKING,

Thanks for the clarification. I was assuming it started after the factory warranty, but used the entire mileage. Now I have to crunch the numbers to see if its worth it for me to CPO my car, then extend the CPO or just go with the BMW ESC Platinum. Whichever is easier on the wallet will be my decision.

I will also get clarification on CPO. Some say you can only go 2 years CPO, others say 3.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #22
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

I chose a 3rd party, CNA Care Preferred Plus, that provided coverage out to 10 years. The policy tells you what is not covered, rather than what is covered. It's a short list of what's not covered....the usual paint defects, brakes, clutches...all wearable items.

Prior to me getting it, I reached out to several service managers at multiple BMW dealerships and asked them about the BMW vs CNA warranties. They all said CNA was excellent to deal with. All of them had a good relationship with the company as well. They covered the same items as the BMW warranty. I asked them which they would get for their personal use and they all said CNA because of the extra 3 years coverage, lower cost and ease to do business with. I also looked into their financial strength rating and it was solid.

That said, you will read negative reviews on just about all these warranty companies including BMW. I feel I'm taking a bit of a gamble because you really don't know how CNA will be in 8, 9 or 10 years. I'm going to have to get all service done at the dealer to make sure I don't give that company an out for not covering something. The cost was only $3750 for an extra 6 years coverage after the BMW warranty expires. If I sell the Bimmer, it gets totaled or if I simply don't want the warranty anymore, I can get a prorated refund on the policy.

Last edited by 2022M550i; 03-11-2022 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 4
jphcbpa314.50
NGT25619.00
Joe-BMW337337.50