BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 sunroof - shatterproof?

03-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
G30 sunroof - shatterproof?

Does anyone know if the regular sun roof on a g30 is shatterproof? I'm going to get my windows tinted and am planning on leaving the sunroof alone. However, I have a small child and would be willing to tint the sunroof with a light/clear shade like Llumar Air 80 if it added a protection element in an accident.

Thanks!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Does anyone know if the regular sun roof on a g30 is shatterproof? I'm going to get my windows tinted and am planning on leaving the sunroof alone. However, I have a small child and would be willing to tint the sunroof with a light/clear shade like Llumar Air 80 if it added a protection element in an accident.

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that in an accident that would shatter the sunroof, a shattered sunroof would be the least of your problems. I've seen many pictures of really bad accidents where the the sunroof was pretty much the only panel intact!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #3
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that in an accident that would shatter the sunroof, a shattered sunroof would be the least of your problems. I've seen many pictures of really bad accidents where the the sunroof was pretty much the only panel intact!
Maybe. But for $100 bucks, not that much for some piece of mind and another layer of protection for my kid.

It makes no less sense than driving a hybrid to help the environment.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 10:55 PM   #4
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Tint it for the protection from heat and UV. I don't think it'll make a difference in an accident though. I did my windshield and sunroof with Stratos 80 Ceramic to cut down on heat, but with a baby on the way I like the extra protection from the sunlight (in addition to the peasant blockers, I mean baby shades).
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      03-11-2022, 11:02 PM   #5
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
Tint it for the protection from heat and UV. I don't think it'll make a difference in an accident though. I did my windshield and sunroof with Stratos 80 Ceramic to cut down on heat, but with a baby on the way I like the extra protection from the sunlight (in addition to the peasant blockers, I mean baby shades).
Haha. I'm tinting the sides either 25 or 35 for heat and sunlight. Even the kid complains about it, and he's got the "peasant blocker"! We will see what I do with the sunroof. I'm 50/50 on the Air 80.

I already have some small chips in the windshield. I've got a glass deductible of like $75. Eventually something will crack it at the rate it takes abuse on the road. I'm sort of inclined to just wait until I have a brand new one and put protective film on the outside for the road debris and do the air 80 on the windshield then. Seems like a bad investment to spend $160 "tinting" a windshield that already has wear and tear. Happy to hear opinions to the contrary.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 11:44 PM   #6
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

If you've got a light interior definitely do 25. I've got ivory and thought 35 would've been good enough but if I were doing it again I'd go 20-25 instead.

I'm with you on the windshield, mine has a bullseye chip/crack about the size of a quarter in it but it's not in my absolute direct line of sight. Insurance will replace it with OEM manufactured glass (but not BMW branded) for my $100 deductible but replacing my tint will cost over double that. I'm living with the bullseye until something really cracks the glass beyond a reasonable doubt.
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      03-12-2022, 12:47 AM   #7
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you've got a light interior definitely do 25. I've got ivory and thought 35 would've been good enough but if I were doing it again I'd go 20-25 instead.

I'm with you on the windshield, mine has a bullseye chip/crack about the size of a quarter in it but it's not in my absolute direct line of sight. Insurance will replace it with OEM manufactured glass (but not BMW branded) for my $100 deductible but replacing my tint will cost over double that. I'm living with the bullseye until something really cracks the glass beyond a reasonable doubt.
Thanks for the input! I appreciate the comments from last experience.

I have beige Dakota leather, so your comment is applicable here. The exterior color is dark graphite metallic. I'm going to look at both before install but I know I won't really know until it's on there. I'm leaning to the 25. I think it will look good but not too dark.

My priorities in order are to protect me and the interior from heat & UV & add some style. Privacy is not a priority at all. But if I'm going to do it, I may as well get what looks best and I'm starting to think 25 will walk the line of looking good without being too dark.

If you've got a picture of the 35, I'd love to see it.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #8
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:

You may want to see if it can be repaired vs. a windshield replacement. We have full glass coverage in MA with no deductible for aftermarket glass. I can pay the difference for OEM. That said, my experience on all my cars over the years is that replacing the factory sealed windshield will never be the same. There is always more wind noise from the replacement and trust me, I have had them re-do the install several times for the same claim. Besides your tint, you are better off trying your best to stick with the factory installed glass. I have a small chip down low and not in my sight. At some point I am going to have it repaired. In fact, insurance will opt for a repair if its a candidate. My chip is certainly repairable. The results are 100% most of the time.
NGT25617.50
      03-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #9
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:

You may want to see if it can be repaired vs. a windshield replacement. We have full glass coverage in MA with no deductible for aftermarket glass. I can pay the difference for OEM. That said, my experience on all my cars over the years is that replacing the factory sealed windshield will never be the same. There is always more wind noise from the replacement and trust me, I have had them re-do the install several times for the same claim. Besides your tint, you are better off trying your best to stick with the factory installed glass. I have a small chip down low and not in my sight. At some point I am going to have it repaired. In fact, insurance will opt for a repair if its a candidate. My chip is certainly repairable. The results are 100% most of the time.
I will look into that. They are tiny. No one would notice but me. If someone could make them disappear, I'd be all about it.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will look into that. They are tiny. No one would notice but me. If someone could make them disappear, I'd be all about it.
That's my plan. I'm OCD and I just know it's there. YouTube some video on DIY windshield repair. RainX makes a kit. Just to see the process. I'll have a Pro do it though and insurance will pay 100%.
NGT25617.50
      03-12-2022, 05:50 PM   #11
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's my plan. I'm OCD and I just know it's there. YouTube some video on DIY windshield repair. RainX makes a kit. Just to see the process. I'll have a Pro do it though and insurance will pay 100%.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My 535 had piece of ice that fell iff a tree smash it. Now in winter, I keep shield closed
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      03-12-2022, 07:55 PM   #12
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I have beige Dakota leather, so your comment is applicable here. The exterior color is dark graphite metallic. I'm going to look at both before install but I know I won't really know until it's on there. I'm leaning to the 25. I think it will look good but not too dark.

My priorities in order are to protect me and the interior from heat & UV & add some style. Privacy is not a priority at all. But if I'm going to do it, I may as well get what looks best and I'm starting to think 25 will walk the line of looking good without being too dark.

I use to have 35 on a couple of cars and it was always too light. I still wanted it to feel dark but not too dark at night where it would make it difficult to see other cars. Also don't want any unnecessary attention from cops.
I went with 30 tints all around and it's a good compromise between a dark look but able to see clearly at night.
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      03-12-2022, 07:58 PM   #13
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYC1919 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I use to have 35 on a couple of cars and it was always too light. I still wanted it to feel dark but not too dark at night where it would make it difficult to see other cars. Also don't want any unnecessary attention from cops.
I went with 30 tints all around and it's a good compromise between a dark look but able to see clearly at night.
30 is probably what I would do, but the place I'm using only has 35/25/15.

It's either Llumar CTX 25 or Formula One Pinnacle 35.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:16 PM   #14
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:

I have Formula One Pinnacle 35% on my G30. I've been satisfied with it in both performance and aesthetics. Sorry for the oversized pic.
DNYC1919478.00
      03-12-2022, 08:23 PM   #15
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
Quote:

I have Formula One Pinnacle 35% on my G30. I've been satisfied with it in both performance and aesthetics. Sorry for the oversized pic.
Thanks! That's really helpful. Is it darker in the back or is that just the angle? There is no tint on mine at all, so if I get the same on all, it should be pretty uniform.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #16
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm also jealous of your door handles. I didn't really know the subtle differences between years and didn't pay attention. Mine is 2018 and has the chrome inlay in the door handles. They're fine, but body color would be much better.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 08:38 PM   #17
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Thanks! That's really helpful. Is it darker in the back or is that just the angle? There is no tint on mine at all, so if I get the same on all, it should be pretty uniform.
It's just the angle. It was really sunny that day and the shadows and reflections change a bit in different lighting.
      03-12-2022, 08:51 PM   #18
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
Quote:
It's just the angle. It was really sunny that day and the shadows and reflections change a bit in different lighting.
Awesome. Thank you. Very helpful.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 09:28 PM   #19
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Couple pics of the 30 all around
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
NGT25617.50
Joe-BMW337337.50
      03-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #20
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. That looks good. What color is your g30?

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 10:49 PM   #21
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Bernina grey
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 12:17 AM   #22
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bernina grey
Looks great

Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00