M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

10-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #23
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You're committing a logical fallacy.

You are comparing any Tesla to the highest model of F10 5 Series. The correct comparisons would be:
Tesla S (all chassis) vs BMW F10 (all chassis)
Tesla S P85+ vs BMW F10 M5

In either of this more apples to apples comparisons, the Tesla is more rare.
Can't completely agree with this. Visually, it is difficult to tell a base Model S from the performance model. I may be wrong but the only difference that I know of is the very small P85 on the back. The earlier models didn't even have this. The highest model Tesla and the lowest have the exact same lines and look like the same car so it's understandable to lump them all together. The M5 is quite different visually and mechanically from the other 5 series cars by an order of magnitude much greater than Teslas are differentiated. As for P85's being more rare than M5's that is certainly not the case where I live. The SF Bay Area may not have a representative demographic, but I have seen scores of P85's and only 2 or 3 F10 M5's in the past few months. Jeez, I have almost seen as many Veyrons (1) as I have M5's!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #24
lincvert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Can't completely agree with this. Visually, it is difficult to tell a base Model S from the performance model. I may be wrong but the only difference that I know of is the very small P85 on the back. The earlier models didn't even have this. The highest model Tesla and the lowest have the exact same lines and look like the same car so it's understandable to lump them all together. The M5 is quite different visually and mechanically from the other 5 series cars by an order of magnitude much greater than Teslas are differentiated. As for P85's being more rare than M5's that is certainly not the case where I live. The SF Bay Area may not have a representative demographic, but I have seen scores of P85's and only 2 or 3 F10 M5's in the past few months. Jeez, I have almost seen as many Veyrons (1) as I have M5's!
I guess I need to better understand the visual ques to help identify the base Tesla from the P85 for a better apple to apples comparison. I'm still surprised how few M5s I see on the road.
Appreciate 0