Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I honestly feel like the addition of the turbo engines makes for both marketing and profit in performance packages, as they know the aftermarket/mod scene is huge for BMWs. I'd bet every vehicle they make going forward will have some sort of performance package option.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #24
alienranch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
I honestly feel like the addition of the turbo engines makes for both marketing and profit in performance packages, as they know the aftermarket/mod scene is huge for BMWs. I'd bet every vehicle they make going forward will have some sort of performance package option.
Agreed. Since software basically controls all parameters of this car, there will always be room for upping the ante so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #25
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

BMW is taking aftermarket individualization seriously with an increased emphasis on BMW Performance. If there is demand, expect product.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #26
1slowE82cp
Private First Class
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SOLD, 2016 M3 coming..

I already contacted the tuning shop (Cobb tuning) who I have used for other projects. They told me that they will be investing heavily on this new platform. I can't wait till they come out with a version of their tuning software and aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #27
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Doubtful. But I would expect a competition package at some point with a power bump, just like the M5/M6.
I see...not a drama, but it would be nice to beat my diesels 620Nm of torque ...
That peak torque value is (nearly) meaningless. If you pick up an M3/M4, I have a strong feeling you'll be happy with it's performance in comparison to your 330d.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #28
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
That peak torque value is (nearly) meaningless. If you pick up an M3/M4, I have a strong feeling you'll be happy with it's performance in comparison to your 330d.
I agree with you, and I know there is no comparison, but to say that torque is meaningless sounds a bit weird...the car has something like almost 600Nm starting from 1500rpm going to I believe 4500-4800rpm, redlines around 5500rpm...The reason why I think current diesels with huge torque numbers are difficult to beat on acceleration alone is that once (I know I will flamed for this by the fanboys, but whatever) I was driving my E92 M3 on the highway, I was doing around 120km/h and I saw an E60 in my mirror that really wanted to play...I said to myself, easy peasy, try me ... I switched a few gears down, to be around 5000 rpm and floored her...to my astonishment, the E60 was still following me , I was driving away slowly, but nothing world shocking... This repeated a few times, because of traffic in front of me, and I have to confess that we didn't go above 200km/h (which would be a game changer I guess) until I had to take the exit and when he passed me, I recognised that it was an 535d... It was a sad moment ... Later this guy found me on a forum and explained his car has been chipped to around 340hp and some huge torque number... I know things would be different on track and that just the feeling of driving that V8 4.0 is miles ahead of driving a diesel, but it was a sad moment ...ok, back on topic I guess ...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #29
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac
Quote:
I agree with you, and I know there is no comparison, but to say that torque is meaningless sounds a bit weird...the car has something like almost 600Nm starting from 1500rpm going to I believe 4500-4800rpm, redlines around 5500rpm...The reason why I think current diesels with huge torque numbers are difficult to beat on acceleration alone is that once (I know I will flamed for this by the fanboys, but whatever) I was driving my E92 M3 on the highway, I was doing around 120km/h and I saw an E60 in my mirror that really wanted to play...I said to myself, easy peasy, try me ... I switched a few gears down, to be around 5000 rpm and floored her...to my astonishment, the E60 was still following me , I was driving away slowly, but nothing world shocking... This repeated a few times, because of traffic in front of me, and I have to confess that we didn't go above 200km/h (which would be a game changer I guess) until I had to take the exit and when he passed me, I recognised that it was an 535d... It was a sad moment ... Later this guy found me on a forum and explained his car has been chipped to around 340hp and some huge torque number... I know things would be different on track and that just the feeling of driving that V8 4.0 is miles ahead of driving a diesel, but it was a sad moment ...ok, back on topic I guess ...
I never said torque was meaningless; I said peak torque figures are nearly meaningless.

To understand an engine's performance, both power and torque curves are great to have. In the absence of curves, though, peak power is a value that is still fairly meaningful (i.e., there are well established correlations between peak power and performance, including peak power to weight ratio). Peak torque, however, is not very informative for predicting vehicle performance.

But don't get me wrong--I'm not trying to knock on your 330d. It's a great car! I'm just a psychological basket-case, and I have a pet peeve about bench racing peak torque figures.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #30
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
I never said torque was meaningless; I said peak torque figures are nearly meaningless.

To understand an engine's performance, both power and torque curves are great to have. In the absence of curves, though, peak power is a value that is still fairly meaningful (i.e., there are well established correlations between peak power and performance, including peak power to weight ratio). Peak torque, however, is not very informative for predicting vehicle performance.

But don't get me wrong--I'm not trying to knock on your 330d. It's a great car! I'm just a psychological basket-case, and I have a pet peeve about bench racing peak torque figures.
No problem , I'm not fanatical about diesels, it's just that they're so damn performant these days...having an almost flat torque curve starting at around 1500rpm all the way to 4500 (hence my questioning of the peak torque)...then it drops drastically... that's why my excitement for these new age turbo M cars... I know there are hard core NA fans, but to me, having this huge power AND torque is what won me over to sign the dotted line... Yes, the sound might be not the same, the power might not be as lineair, but on pure acceleration and in low rev range, they will be in a league of their own I think... I only hope BMW tuned the engine to in fact 'like' high revs...our Z4 2.0TT with 245hp and 350Nm/1250-4800 just dies above 5000rpm...it's like I'm hurting the engine...It keeps going, it's just that feeling of the engine not being in it's 'comfort' zone...it's different for a diesel as it's max revs only go to 5500rpm and so you don't feel it, but an engine which starts to feel uncomfortable at 5000 with still 2000 to go is annoying... I hope this makes sense and I'm sure the S55 will not have this issue (fingers crossed)...
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #31
tonyrb
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwac View Post
...somewhere in the near future for the M3/4 ? Almost all engines have this option now, so I wonder if there is a chance the will also introduce it in the M range...anyone heard/read anything about it?
Hm.... Maybe now, with the M$ GTS out... I think the engine on the GTS is almost the same, apart from the water cooling... And it makes 500hp

I want them on my F80!!
Appreciate 0