BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Adblue System Failure

04-28-2023, 05:40 AM   #1
davelongdon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d G30

Adblue System Failure

My G30 is a 2017 520d. It has done 93000 miles. Every now and again, AdBlue System Failure pops up for a few days then disappears for weeks, then comes back. This leads me to think it will be a sensor problem.

So to avoid costs, I bought an OBD box and downloaded the Bimmerlink app.

It has come up with a permanent error....

0B Selective Catalytic Reduction

1 error

FF8052: Unknown error

Most people on here have far more knowledge than I have with this. Can anyone shed some light on the matter to avoid a visit to a main dealer, and something that can be fixed by an independent.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 01:08 PM   #2
Vanesso
Finland
Rep
Drives: G31 540xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelongdon View Post
My G30 is a 2017 520d. It has done 93000 miles. Every now and again, AdBlue System Failure pops up for a few days then disappears for weeks, then comes back. This leads me to think it will be a sensor problem.

So to avoid costs, I bought an OBD box and downloaded the Bimmerlink app.

It has come up with a permanent error....

0B Selective Catalytic Reduction

1 error

FF8052: Unknown error

Most people on here have far more knowledge than I have with this. Can anyone shed some light on the matter to avoid a visit to a main dealer, and something that can be fixed by an independent.

Thanks in advance
Hello
Same thing popped up in my car today. How did you get rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
Vanesso
Finland
Rep

UPD
First thing to do is to get rid of useless OBD readers + Bimmerlink. It looks that BMW can be diagnosed with ISTA only.
Real error code is 80527A: Active tank SENT signal (filling level, temperature, quality), communication: fault
Currently I am investigating how to diagnose it further, but seems like I have to replace the DEF active tank anyways
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 04:50 PM   #4
Rennie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesso View Post
UPD
First thing to do is to get rid of useless OBD readers + Bimmerlink. It looks that BMW can be diagnosed with ISTA only.
Real error code is 80527A: Active tank SENT signal (filling level, temperature, quality), communication: fault
Currently I am investigating how to diagnose it further, but seems like I have to replace the DEF active tank anyways
I had the same problem, I used some AdBlue additive two times, a month apart and the error disappeared. It worked in my case, it was so annoying
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 11:53 PM   #5
ViA
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G30, F34, E90

check the wiring behind the active tank first
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 03:59 AM   #6
Vanesso
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
I had the same problem, I used some AdBlue additive two times, a month apart and the error disappeared. It worked in my case, it was so annoying
Well I added 2 liters, but the car did not recognize any change in the fluid level. It still says I have 2500km remaining and 15.0l to refill. Do you think I should add more?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 04:25 AM   #7
Vanesso
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViA View Post
check the wiring behind the active tank first
Hi & thanks for advice! Could you clarify a bit?
1. Do you mean to check visually if the wiring connectors coming to the tank are OK?
2. Or should I check the whole wiring lines by reading the wiring diagrams, finding both ends and checking the signal with multimeter?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 08:27 AM   #8
ViA
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G30, F34, E90

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 12:34 PM   #9
Rennie
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Well I added 2 liters, but the car did not recognize any change in the fluid level. It still says I have 2500km remaining and 15.0l to refill. Do you think I should add more?
Hi, fill the tank with Adblue as the Adblue system it's still working (just can't read the information) and add Adblue ADDITIVE, you can find it on Ebay, make sure it's for cars not lorries. I used Wynn's Crystal Clean & Protect Car AdBlue (125ml) when the tank was full and I added another one one month later. In my case the engine light disappeared shortly after I added the second time.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 02:55 AM   #10
Vanesso
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViA View Post
On the active tank there are 2 connectors. Both of them connect the SCR active tank to the SCR ECU via 26-pin connector.
Based on the error code I think I should first of all check the wire that I marked on the picture.

SCR ECU can be found in the trunk, rear right side.

As per BMW instruction for removing SCR ECU I should:
wait at least 1 minute after the change from driving to residing. It is better to wait for terminal 30B to switch off.
During removal of the SCR control unit, first pull off the small connector, then the large connector.

Once done I will inform whether I could find smth
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 03:01 AM   #11
Vanesso
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
Hi, fill the tank with Adblue as the Adblue system it's still working (just can't read the information) and add Adblue ADDITIVE, you can find it on Ebay, make sure it's for cars not lorries. I used Wynn's Crystal Clean & Protect Car AdBlue (125ml) when the tank was full and I added another one one month later. In my case the engine light disappeared shortly after I added the second time.
Thanks, it looks like worth trying.
Do you think the matter was in some crystallization inside of the active tank, so that 2 ultrasound level&quality sensors could not get the proper reading?
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2023, 05:12 PM   #12
Rennie
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, it looks like worth trying.
Do you think the matter was in some crystallization inside of the active tank, so that 2 ultrasound level&quality sensors could not get the proper reading?
Because it worked only with Adblue Additive, it must be that, I was happy that I didn't have to spend £1000 to replace the active tank. just to get the proper reading as the Adblue was consumed (checked with Bimmerlink app). Hopefully will work for you too.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 06:49 AM   #13
mydmrg30
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

Quote:

Once done I will inform whether I could find smth
Hi Vanesso,

any updates on that? I have the same problem. Did you already test the mentioned AdBlue Additive?

Last edited by mydmrg30; 10-30-2023 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:50 AM   #14
Vanesso
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydmrg30 View Post
Hi Vanesso,

any updates on that? I have the same problem. Did you already test the mentioned AdBlue Additive?
Hello,

No, I found a fresh 2022 tank on Ebay for 120£ and couldn't miss it. I replaced the tank myself, and all is working now.

I tend to think that the idea with Adblue crystallization inside of tank is plausible. But honestly I am quite afraid of putting any additives or non-approved chemicals into my car. So my plan was to remove the tank and use the power wash to clean it, but finally ended up with a feasible replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 01:11 PM   #15
mydmrg30
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

Thanks for the update. So, the price was quite cheap. Lucky you.

Do you have a manual/instruction of the replacement process?
Appreciate 0