BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Custom Color Dilema m550

08-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #23
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
This is the first time I will notice this your point being made. And it is a damn good point
Thanks. My need for speed is already a hazard enough from the law enforcement officers, and I don't need more help from my arrest-me-red BMW that can be heard from a mile away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon View Post
One option to consider is to just buy a black car (blank canvas) and then have it completely wrapped, door & trunk jams and all. Depending where you go, that'll cost you anywhere from $3-6k, but you'll get the car sooner than waiting for a custom paint job on the car, and you can literally pick any color that you want. Most of the newer Avery or 3M gloss vinyl looks just as good as paint.
Um... No... Hell no. I never understood the whole wrap non-sense. Why would you want to spend $6k to wrap your classy BMW in low-rent vinyl wrap?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #24
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
One option to consider is to just buy a black car (blank canvas) and then have it completely wrapped, door & trunk jams and all. Depending where you go, that'll cost you anywhere from $3-6k, but you'll get the car sooner than waiting for a custom paint job on the car, and you can literally pick any color that you want. Most of the newer Avery or 3M gloss vinyl looks just as good as paint.
If you wrap a leased car you will have to be prepared for huge charges on return.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 11:18 PM   #25
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 | I01 | G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
If you wrap a leased car you will have to be prepared for huge charges on return.

Why is that? You remove the wrap before returning the car, just like any other mod on a lease car. Simple as that.

I've wrapped my leased cars before, as well as many other people. It's not hard removing a wrap if you have the time, or just pay a shop to professionally remove it. No "charges" or any penalties, as long as the car isn't all messed up upon end of lease inspection.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:03 AM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
Thanks. My need for speed is already a hazard enough from the law enforcement officers, and I don't need more help from my arrest-me-red BMW that can be heard from a mile away.

Um... No... Hell no. I never understood the whole wrap non-sense. Why would you want to spend $6k to wrap your classy BMW in low-rent vinyl wrap?
I fail to understand why a rap is so sort after, some of these are real "Look at ME" and of course PLOD will be watching for obvious reasons.
We had a V10 R8 (not for long) everywhere we went it drew crowds of Kids and people and plod, it had to go we never felt comfortable returning to the car thinking we would get highjacked.

08-31-2018, 10:45 AM   #27
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Frozen Black
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #28
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Why is that? You remove the wrap before returning the car, just like any other mod on a lease car. Simple as that.

I've wrapped my leased cars before, as well as many other people. It's not hard removing a wrap if you have the time, or just pay a shop to professionally remove it. No "charges" or any penalties, as long as the car isn't all messed up upon end of lease inspection.
My understanding is removing wrap is not so easy. But I have no personal experience, so I will stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #29
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
I fail to understand why a rap is so sort after, some of these are real "Look at ME" and of course PLOD will be watching for obvious reasons.
We had a V10 R8 (not for long) everywhere we went it drew crowds of Kids and people and plod, it had to go we never felt comfortable returning to the car thinking we would get highjacked.
The likelihood of scenarios you described largely depends on where you live. In NY, for example, R8 or bright colored M5 will not draw remotely the attention you described and you most definitely wont get hijacked.

Perhaps cops could be biased, but that's still a big question mark.
      09-03-2018, 02:31 AM   #30
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
The likelihood of scenarios you described largely depends on where you live. In NY, for example, R8 or bright colored M5 will not draw remotely the attention you described and you most definitely wont get hijacked.

Perhaps cops could be biased, but that's still a big question mark.
Your very lucky, car jacking is on the increase here and Police on ground none existent.
      09-04-2018, 12:21 AM   #31
mpress
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 gt 550

remember with the m550 you have the grey accents not black, so unless you plan on changing them to black or CF, keep that i mind when choosing
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #32
Bimmertrashjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

I don’t know if you locked in color already. GM at local dealer has M550 in Sakhir and looks slammin. Model takes color well. Wake them up boys. Waiting for my allocation San Marino Blue.
Appreciate 0