BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions HK in Premium Package despite shortage?

05-15-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

HK in Premium Package despite shortage?

As I understand it there's a semiconductor shortage which is causing a problem with HK options on multiple series cars. The HK systems and the DAP was removed from the G20 I looked at first.
But I decided to build a 530 instead with a Premium Package which has the HK system as part of the package and DAP seems to be an option on the configuration site.
But when I go to print the summary under AUDIO only "HiFi" is listed. Nothing on the HK system that's supposed to be in the Premium Package which is listed at the top of the summary.
The dealership isn't much help, just a standard "there's a shortage we don't know when it'll be fixed" line. But why is it on the configuration screen then disappearing on the summary? And is BMW prioritizing higher end cars for these two features so they are available?

Does anyone have experience recently with the G30 and these two options?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
BMW is prioritizing which cars get limited supply of options, but I wouldn't put stock in BMW's website being a signal as to how that's being done. Their website is garbage. It will be broken even in normal times and is understood to be useful mostly for pictures. The ordering guides are your source of truth and in today's reality so is the dealer (and even they are in the dark a lot lately).

BMW has shifted what's in packages and etc so often due to the shortages you can't be certain an option is coming on an order until after it exits the factory. Visit the build & order forums to see what others are navigating through.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I did look through the other forum but the answers are all over the place. Some say they're getting it so say they're not. Some say they're canceling orders. It's a complete mess.
I'm surprised the site doesn't work. It seemed to do ok when I ordered the 328i six years ago, but I guess things change? 😄

I called another local dealer this morning and they told me they're building them with whatever features you ask but if there's a shortage then the car will just be delayed, maybe up to 4 months. Then he said he'd check because in 2 weeks they're moving from 2021 to 2022 builds.
That seems early but whatever. At this point as long as the car has what I want, you know.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
Dan W
Longtime Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForensicBimmer View Post
I did look through the other forum but the answers are all over the place. Some say they're getting it so say they're not. Some say they're canceling orders. It's a complete mess.
I'm surprised the site doesn't work. It seemed to do ok when I ordered the 328i six years ago, but I guess things change? 😄

I called another local dealer this morning and they told me they're building them with whatever features you ask but if there's a shortage then the car will just be delayed, maybe up to 4 months. Then he said he'd check because in 2 weeks they're moving from 2021 to 2022 builds.
That seems early but whatever. At this point as long as the car has what I want, you know.
I just had a 540 leave the factory and on the way to the port as of yesterday, and it did build with the HK audio as part of the Executive package. A sample size of one, and maybe I just got lucky.