BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Fuel impact on performance for stock M550i?

03-26-2021, 02:32 AM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Fuel impact on performance for stock M550i?

I live in California and pretty much 91 is the best gas you can buy at the pump. There are very few gas stations that stock higher octane stuff I know there's one about 20 minutes from my house that has 100 octane unleaded racing fuel at the pump but it's expensive.

On a stock vehicle would there actually be any noticeable performance difference to run in higher up in fuel or even some kind of mixture of hurting fuel with the regular tank of gas?

I really don't have any interest in buying race fuel or mixing my gas but I was kind of curious if on this car it would impact performance.... or I guess what I'm more interested in is am I losing performance because I get 91 in California.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I live in California and pretty much 91 is the best gas you can buy at the pump. There are very few gas stations that stock higher octane stuff I know there's one about 20 minutes from my house that has 100 octane unleaded racing fuel at the pump but it's expensive.

On a stock vehicle would there actually be any noticeable performance difference to run in higher up in fuel or even some kind of mixture of hurting fuel with the regular tank of gas?

I really don't have any interest in buying race fuel or mixing my gas but I was kind of curious if on this car it would impact performance.... or I guess what I'm more interested in is am I losing performance because I get 91 in California.
I've "herd" of guys putting 100 in their Amg's and the computer self calibrating it to add more boost. At the price of 100 octane for power after a few tanks u could've just bought a tune or down pipes so I guess it's how u wanna spend your money IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 04:13 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Without any technical information I would have thought that any differences would only be picked up in some sort of synthetic test. Ie a dyno.

I'm not sure that we can pick up on any differences a higher octane fuel can give us.

I guess the other thing to consider is that the higher octane fuel may contain better engine cleaning contents as well, at least that's what some fuels promote.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarReady View Post
Quote:

I've "herd" of guys putting 100 in their Amg's and the computer self calibrating it to add more boost. At the price of 100 octane for power after a few tanks u could've just bought a tune or down pipes so I guess it's how u wanna spend your money IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarReady View Post
Quote:

I'd love to tune my car I'm just concerned about warranty issues - my car is a CPO and I have four years of bumper-to-bumper coverage
Appreciate 0