BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e xDrive Driving Dynamics and Rolling Backwards

10-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530e xDrive

530e xDrive Driving Dynamics and Rolling Backwards

Two Observations I thought I'd share and solicit feedback.

One, does anyone else find the 5 series harder to "place on the road", especially on narrow streets and tight parking situation? I previously had a 330e and I could thread that car though all manner of situations with confidence. My 530e is the largest car I've ever owned and after six months of ownership so far I still feel like I'm going to run into everything in the parking lot. Maybe I just like smaller cars....

Second, occasionally when at a stop while in (D) Drive or after shifting to (D) Drive, the car will start to roll backward while moving my foot from brake to accelerator. I don't think I ever experienced this in my 330e. Anyone else have this experience? Time for a dealer visit?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted8715 View Post
Two Observations I thought I'd share and solicit feedback.

One, does anyone else find the 5 series harder to "place on the road", especially on narrow streets and tight parking situation? I previously had a 330e and I could thread that car though all manner of situations with confidence. My 530e is the largest car I've ever owned and after six months of ownership so far I still feel like I'm going to run into everything in the parking lot. Maybe I just like smaller cars....

Second, occasionally when at a stop while in (D) Drive or after shifting to (D) Drive, the car will start to roll backward while moving my foot from brake to accelerator. I don't think I ever experienced this in my 330e. Anyone else have this experience? Time for a dealer visit?
I agree that a smaller car is easier to maneuver. It is a tradeoff.

Mine does not do what you describe. The 530e does not have stop and go so as soon as my foot comes off the brake, the car starts to creep forward. I have not had the rolling backward issue. I do think it is time for a call to your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted8715 View Post
I assume you mean on a steeper slope, when the brake hold function, (drive-off assistant, not auto-hold), times out. If so, yes it can happen with AT. Extra weight could be the difference, over the 330e.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree that a smaller car is easier to maneuver. It is a tradeoff.

Mine does not do what you describe. The 530e does not have stop and go so as soon as my foot comes off the brake, the car starts to creep forward. I have not had the rolling backward issue. I do think it is time for a call to your dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I assume you mean on a steeper slope, when the brake hold function, (drive-off assistant, not auto-hold), times out. If so, yes it can happen with AT. Extra weight could be the difference, over the 330e.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels the larger size. Too bad you can't get the Multi-contour seats in the smaller cars.

As for the rolling, sometime it occurs right as you lift off the break, and I would say the grades are not even that steep. I'll bring it up to the dealer the next time it's in.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Does the 530e have the autohold feature for the handbrake?
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK436.00
      10-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Does the 530e have the autohold feature for the handbrake?
Yes. At least mine does.

As for the seating, I am with you. I am on the slim side and I love the way the multicountour seat wings surround me after I click on the seat belt. It is like a big hug.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Yes. At least mine does.
Wouldn't using this solve the OP's problem?

Although, an auto should not roll backwards even without autohold, not on a very mild incline.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Although, an auto should not roll backwards even without autohold, not on a very mild incline.
I don't know because mine doesn't do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #9
25dollars
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

My 2018 530e does this as well. It presented itself after an ECU update I got recently. In addition to rolling back, even on a slight incline; going from drive to reverse and vice versa feels like it takes a couple of seconds for the transmission to engage. Plan your 3 point turns with some extra time. I need to take it back and have them reverse the update until they figure this out. It never use to do this.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

Autohold will be very positive.

Roll-back, I suppose it will depend on whether the drive off assistant is in operation, brake force and/or time (approx. 1.5 secs) may be the deciding factor. Then there is NIC (Neutral Idle Control), with TC disengagement, again brake force has an influence. Could just be the way the OP is using the brakes and throttle. Latest designs may have more chance to roll-back, possibly different software parameters and/or less drivetrain losses?

I'd be testing for how the drive off assistant works. Is it active or not with positive brake action? Find its limitation.

I remember doing this with my 330d, when other users were saying they were surprised they had roll-back with an AT. I could get it to happen, but not with how I normally drive, I had to change my reactions to give the drivetrain time to roll-back.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #11
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The Auto Hold would prevent the rollback, but I often find it annoying when trying to park, turn it off, and then forget to turn in back on.

I scheduled an appointment a week out to pickup my winter tires and wheels when they come in, get 2 recalls taken care of and the dealer offered to do my first service early. I'll mention the rollback and see what they say.

However, the handling got much worse over the weekend so I'll being seeing the dealer tomorrow. Monster pothole in a construction zone, didn't see it at all, going about 40 mph. I hope it's only the tire...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Is that a blowout on a run flat?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #13