BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Advice please - New 530D M sport issue - Serious Vibrations

01-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
smudge973
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d Msport - no longer

Advice please - New 530D M sport issue - Serious Vibrations

Thoughts and Help please...

Back on the 20th of December I picked up my new 530 M sport, 20" 759 wheels. As soon as we left the dealership and hit the motorway both my son and I noticed immediately there was a vibration through the car from 60mph onwards... Over the last few weeks I've been in discussion with both the BMW retailer and BMW CS and had 4 visits to no avail.

On the first visit a technician came out with me and agreed this was not normal and witnessed as a passenger then he drove and we agreed it was worse from the drivers seat.

What have they tried

- rebalanced all 4 wheels
- identical wheels from another vehicle tried - same
- BMW agreed to pay for and replace the tyres with non-run flat tyres which we tried - the issue was still present

After 4 visits they are now telling me this is a characteristic of the wheels, run flats and Msport suspension in combination - I can assure you it's not and after 4 hours in the car today there is an issue.

In summary, they initially agreed this is not how the car should drive, they cant solve and now BMW UK are likely to tell me officially tomorrow there is no issue and thats the end of it.

12 months ago I was loaned the same spec car for a number of days from my local dealer, that was absolutely fine and had no issue having covered circa 600 miles at the time.

Whilst I've seen a few things on the internet about this with no resolution I cant and wont accept this is normal.

Any thoughts or ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

If you think it would help to resolve the issue, if you move quickly, as you are within 30 days you could tell the dealer you are seriously considering rejecting the car - informative website here - https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/

I would tell the dealer I was coming in for one last try to resolve the issue as their technician agreed it was not normal. If they say they will resolve it I would suggest you tell them that you believe it reasonable to extend the 30 day rejection period, especially as they have spent weeks trying to sort it. Ask for an exact same model as as a loaner whilst they sort it - this will confirm it is not a ‘characteristic’ of the car.
I went through exactly the same problem with a new XF some time ago. A lot of cars had the same issue - sound resonance from the fuel pipes. 3 Jaguar technicians confirmed it was a problem they had come across previously but it was a massive job to rectify so Jaguar UK said it was a ‘characteristic’ of a sports car ! I sold it after 9 months at a massive loss but other than going to court I couldn’t get it sorted. I really wished I had rejected the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
smudge973
United Kingdom
Rep

Thankyou,

I've written a 3 page rejection letter which will be emailed to the dealer tomorrow..

It's sickening, hearing they don't believe it's an issue and or clearly is, I prefer driving my wife's ford fiesta
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:14 PM   #4
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

If it only happens at high speed, your rims be bent somehow..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Its definitely not normal or a characteristic of the model. I have driven a few G30s (dealer demonstrators and my own) and there is no vibration at all at any speed - it should not be doing that... I assume you might have already done this but have you taken a technician out in it with you so they can feel exactly what you feel?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport

Have you read this thread?

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1512720

My car had/has similar issues and so does many others. How strong is the vibration? Is it constant or does the frequency change from time to time?

It is definitely not normal. I have driven different variants of the G30 and they have been vibration free.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
smudge973
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello,

BMW took my car back with no loss to me, now the search for a new car continues
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge973 View Post
Hello,

BMW took my car back with no loss to me, now the search for a new car continues
Oh, that is super great news, congrats!

Let us know what you decide to replace it with.

Unfortunately, several people have complained of the same issue, and I suspect that BMW knows about it but hasn't quite figured out a fix, if there is one.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
pr0gi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 40i, X3 M40i

We have X4 f26 and 730D G11. Same problem even the 730D F01 we had before had it. No idea why. Balancing, new tyres, new wheels same problem. Although, we did not notice it while the cars were still low mileage. Maybe the problem was there but not so noticeable. We changed the dealer now since we bought about 5 cars from them for 10 years and their attitude towards our problem is just gross. Glad you got a such a response from the dealer.
      01-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #10
smudge973
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gi View Post
We have X4 f26 and 730D G11. Same problem even the 730D F01 we had before had it. No idea why. Balancing, new tyres, new wheels same problem. Although, we did not notice it while the cars were still low mileage. Maybe the problem was there but not so noticeable. We changed the dealer now since we bought about 5 cars from them for 10 years and their attitude towards our problem is just gross. Glad you got a such a response from the dealer.
Maybe some people done notice it eh ?

I"m not keen on a G20 3 series and really want to try another 5 series...

Maybe they all have this problem
Appreciate 0