BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board LA Car Rental

03-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

LA Car Rental

This year my buddies and I are going to Vegas for our annual guy’s trip. A few of us are thinking of flying in to LA for a couple days prior and then drive over to Vegas. Will be flying back home from Vegas.

Are there any car rental companies for sports cars (anything except for domestics) that would allow us to rent in LA area and return the car in Vegas? I know the big name rental companies like Enterprise, Avis, Alamo and etc allows return at a differential location, but doesn’t look like they have cars that’s particularly exciting. Not really looking to rent exotics or anything fancy. Just want something a little different. Turo is out of the question, highly doubt the owner would want to collect their car in Vegas.

Also is it even worth doing the drive from La to Vegas?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

If there were any exotic rental companies that would let you do that, they would probably charge a ton per mile. So it’s probably not worth it in the end.

The drive from LA to Vegas isn’t too bad. 5 hours on a good day, 4 hours on a better day
Appreciate 1
MaximusB1390.50
      03-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #3
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Enterprise has "exotics" based on LAX but they were not letting to go for one way few months ago at least to San Francisco for sure.. probably still the same now.. havent used Turo but i know one way is possible if the owner accepts.. though im not sure it can be a good idea cause price can go up drastically but it doesnt mean it will for sure.. you may need to try..

for driving from LA to LV.. its not like a trip on coast of course but still ok and fun especially on sunset near Vegas.. since you want a road trip why not..
      03-02-2020, 12:06 AM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

driving an exotic or sports car around LA would be highly overrated. get a luxury suv- a giant infiniti or something. the drive from LA to vegas is pretty boring and littered with highway patrol, so don't think you're going to get away with any high speed pulls. lots of traffic, sometimes.
      03-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #5
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Try Hertz they have some nice cars. Not exotics but luxury. I rented a C63S a few years ago that was fully loaded. Had some fun with her. They also have Porsche SUVs, Range Rovers, Teslas, Jaguar, Corvette, Nissan GT-R, etc. You need to book in advance to lock it in or take your chances when you arrive with what is available. They will negotiate with you but don't expect to get too much of a savings.
Appreciate 1
MaximusB1390.50
      03-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #6
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Thanks everyone.

We’re not looking to rent exotics or any. Just looking for the above average rental type of cars to make the drive a little more interesting.

We might not do the drive though. The more I look into it the more tiring it sounds. Our whole group (12 of us) are meet in Vegas. A few are coming in from the east coast, rest are flying out at different times of the day. There are only 3 of us are car guys in the group and we’re planning on flying out from together. So one them threw out the idea of flying into LA first thing in the morning and then drive over to Vegas. Hit up Route 66 and make a few stops along the way. Hopefully we’ll get into Vegas by evening, return the cars, check in and meet up with rest of group. Timing wise seems to work but I’m not too keen on taking the first flight out, 6+ hour drive and then likely stay out till early morning in Vegas with the group.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:51 AM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
Thanks everyone.

We’re not looking to rent exotics or any. Just looking for the above average rental type of cars to make the drive a little more interesting.

We might not do the drive though. The more I look into it the more tiring it sounds. Our whole group (12 of us) are meet in Vegas. A few are coming in from the east coast, rest are flying out at different times of the day. There are only 3 of us are car guys in the group and we’re planning on flying out from together. So one them threw out the idea of flying into LA first thing in the morning and then drive over to Vegas. Hit up Route 66 and make a few stops along the way. Hopefully we’ll get into Vegas by evening, return the cars, check in and meet up with rest of group. Timing wise seems to work but I’m not too keen on taking the first flight out, 6+ hour drive and then likely stay out till early morning in Vegas with the group.
honestly, there is nothing great about LA, neither is there anything to stop and see from LA to vegas. just fly to vegas. you're describing a waste of a day.
RickFLM410880.50
      03-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

YOLO
I can see this being fun if you're with the right people. But bring your patience as it's a decently long drive, a lot of 2-lane highway driving so your passing ability can often be limited, and there is always some traffic from something going down on the way there.
Appreciate 1
MaximusB1390.50
      03-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I would skip that drive from LA to Vegas, and just rent something awesome in Vegas via TURO. That's what I have done before, was quite a lot of choices of nice cars on TURO in Vegas.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
nyteryda3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i - LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
honestly, there is nothing great about LA, neither is there anything to stop and see from LA to vegas. just fly to vegas. you're describing a waste of a day.
no offense to this guy but don't listen to him. I drive LA to Vegas multiple times a year. i think you and your car bros have a nice plan and it would be more enjoyable than directly flying into Vegas. if you really wanna have fun, all 3 of you should rent fun cars and caravan road trip it!

depending on the day you are going, most likely your drive to LV wont be longer than 5 hours (a drive back to LA from LV on a Sunday is a different story). plenty to see in LA after you land grab the car, grab some breakfast with the boys out on the beach by the airport (El Segundo/Manhattan Beach), grab goodies from the dispensary if that's your thing, and then hit the road to LV. The drive is nice and easy and plenty of room to open up the car. There are some cool stops along the way (Baker, Alien Jerky, Outlets, etc...) but for the most part its just a nice easy drive through the desert.

you can get a nice fun car (not exotic but not economy either) from most car rental companies. If you have AAA insurance then use Hertz(member discount and free additional drivers. If you don't then go with SIXT, they have many nice options especially european cars. I've rented Benzes, BMWs, etc... from many of their locations all around the world.

2009 BMW 335i 6-MT: M-Sport - ST Coilovers - BBS LM
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      03-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #11
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I will dead-set do this one day .... it's the only way to roll ....

http://www.starcarcentral.com/a-team.html
Appreciate 3
Maynard3804.50
upstatedoc7555.50
vreihen1614886.50
      03-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
I would skip that drive from LA to Vegas, and just rent something awesome in Vegas via TURO. That's what I have done before, was quite a lot of choices of nice cars on TURO in Vegas.
That was another option that we talked about. Because one of the day in LV a few in the group wants to go check out the grand canyons. Not sure why they wanna do that on a boys trip. But I'm planning on skipping that with a few others. So we could potentially do a rental in LV that day and drive out somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyteryda3 View Post
no offense to this guy but don't listen to him. I drive LA to Vegas multiple times a year. i think you and your car bros have a nice plan and it would be more enjoyable than directly flying into Vegas. if you really wanna have fun, all 3 of you should rent fun cars and caravan road trip it!

depending on the day you are going, most likely your drive to LV wont be longer than 5 hours (a drive back to LA from LV on a Sunday is a different story). plenty to see in LA after you land grab the car, grab some breakfast with the boys out on the beach by the airport (El Segundo/Manhattan Beach), grab goodies from the dispensary if that's your thing, and then hit the road to LV. The drive is nice and easy and plenty of room to open up the car. There are some cool stops along the way (Baker, Alien Jerky, Outlets, etc...) but for the most part its just a nice easy drive through the desert.

you can get a nice fun car (not exotic but not economy either) from most car rental companies. If you have AAA insurance then use Hertz(member discount and free additional drivers. If you don't then go with SIXT, they have many nice options especially european cars. I've rented Benzes, BMWs, etc... from many of their locations all around the world.
Thanks. Yes, Alien Jerky came up during my search as well. I wouldn't mind making a stop there, along with a few other places. That's the idea, we each rent a car from SIXT (best available option so far) and caravan this leg of the trip. At first the idea sounded fun but now we're looking more into it, it starts to sound tiring as we might be trying to cram too much into a day.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
But I'm planning on skipping that with a few others. So we could potentially do a rental in LV that day and drive out somewhere.
Exotics Racing at the LV motor speedway, about 20 minutes north of the strip. That's where I'm going (AGAIN) in a few weeks. I recommend the Porsche options, since it's on the inside road track, not the super speedway. I'm looking at 3/13 as my day.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #14
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If you're seriously considering flying into LAX, going to the beach, driving around exploring, then driving to Vegas and stopping along the way, you're talking about being awake for 24+ hours.
Unless I missed something and you're planning on spending a night in LA...
It's going to take you much more time than you think. Alien jerky is highly over rated. There is literally nothing else to see along the i15.

so vancouver to lax is about a three hour flight. add an hour and a half to get to the airport and get through security, plus another hour just getting out of lax and to the rental place. if you really want to see a bunch of bums, drive around for three hours. driving from the middle of LA to vegas is going to take longer than usual, you're talking 5-6 hours depending on when you leave LA. thats almost 15 hours of travel and driving around doing almost nothing. i'm telling you man, its a shit plan. too much for one day.

Last edited by roastbeef; 03-02-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #15
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
If you're seriously considering flying into LAX, going to the beach, driving around exploring, then driving to Vegas and stopping along the way, you're talking about being awake for 24+ hours.
It's going to take you much more time than you think. Alien jerky is highly over rated. There is literally nothing else to see along the i15.

so vancouver to lax is about a three hour flight. add an hour and a half to get to the airport and get through security, plus another hour just getting out of lax and to the rental place. if you really want to see a bunch of bums, drive around for three hours. driving from the middle of LA to vegas is going to take longer than usual, you're talking 5-6 hours depending on when you leave LA. thats almost 15 hours of travel and driving around doing almost nothing. i'm telling you man, its a shit plan. too much for one day.
Listen to this man. Sounds horrible unless you are planning on spending a couple days in LA. Even than I'd rather avoid that drive and go directly to Vegas
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #16
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
This year my buddies and I are going to Vegas for our annual guy’s trip. A few of us are thinking of flying in to LA for a couple days prior and then drive over to Vegas. Will be flying back home from Vegas.

Are there any car rental companies for sports cars (anything except for domestics) that would allow us to rent in LA area and return the car in Vegas? I know the big name rental companies like Enterprise, Avis, Alamo and etc allows return at a differential location, but doesn’t look like they have cars that’s particularly exciting. Not really looking to rent exotics or anything fancy. Just want something a little different. Turo is out of the question, highly doubt the owner would want to collect their car in Vegas.

Also is it even worth doing the drive from La to Vegas?
https://turo.com/

McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, you name it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #17
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Thanks guy.

Decision made. Flying in and out of LV. Just booked the tickets. We might rent from Turo for a day and drive out from there, but not firm yet. Or we might do a road trip for next year’s boys trip, we’ll see.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #18
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
https://turo.com/

McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, you name it.
Can’t find any turo that allows pick up in LA and return in LV.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #19
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

This guy is right.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #20
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yup, that is exactly why we decided to fly direct to LV. Timing is too rushed and cramming too much into one day. I've been to LA a few times and yeah the traffic isn't fun. Also the first night of our trip usually involves lots of drinking and catching up. Guys are meeting up for first time in a year and what not.

This is almost the 20th consecutive year of our boys trip, dating back to our university days. Over time some of guys moved to the east coast and/or to other cities. This is our way of keeping in touch and see everyone once a year. So the 3 of us who were gonna do the drive wasn't to make it the highlight of the trip, it was more of a side thing that one guy brought up. Although now I might push the idea of doing a road trip next year. The last road trip we did was probably 6 or 7 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #21
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yea I was reading what was being discussed and I was reminded of my first trip to Carmel from SoCal. We decided to take the 5 north to the 46 to highway 1. Beautiful drive, but 11 hours in the car with no stops sucked. After a while we just wanted to get there and didn't stop. LA is a lot less interesting for a quick drive through. Save it for another trip.
      03-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I plan to meet u with my mates in vegas in a couple of years, what's your usual itinerary?
Appreciate 0