BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications G30 Active Grille Shutters - Removed

01-28-2023, 09:14 PM   #1
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Finally got round to removing the active grille shutters today. Been wanting to do this for a while as in my opinion, they kill the look of the G30 at the front.

Overall, it wasn't too difficult to do. You just need to get over the fact that you need to take a cutting instrument to your car. In my case, it was some garden lopper shears and a plastic cutting tool. The motor is still connected and spins as it should. This way there is no error codes/EML.

And obviously by doing it this way - there is no going back afterwards!

Full Bolton Garage has a great video up on YT. You just need to make sure to completely remove the shutter arms from the motor - if they are left in, it will interfere when the motor spins.

The other option was to disconnect the motor once the flaps are open but you can still see the flaps at the back - I didn't want to go for this look. There is the route of removing the active grille housing completely but this way is a little more involved.

The main reasons for doing this was aesthetics, but also to aid cooling and improve air flow. I don't think by removing these grilles, the car will take an age to warm up. Maybe an extra few minutes or so - but that's the same as cars that don't have these grilles and they all seem to work fine.

Some will disagree and say what I've done isn't right, but it works for me and for what I wanted to achieve. In my opinion - it's worth doing just for the aesthetics alone.

Really pleased with the way it looks now. The front end of the car has come along nicely, especially since I removed the fog lights and installed the M550i aero grilles and trim finishers in gloss black.
Attached Images

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
UKF302524.00
      01-28-2023, 09:54 PM   #2
P_GT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540i

Looks great, you did a clean job.
I, on the other hand, like the flaps.
I think that it's cool that they open and close. I do wish that the bars behind were colored so when the flaps open, you would see them better.

Enjoy the new face of your ride ✌️
Appreciate 2
Junebug851615.00
      01-28-2023, 11:36 PM   #3
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

I've heard that the flaps give you better fuel economy but I've never seen anybody quantify by how much. It could just be a gimmick to avoid a gas-guzzler tax.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      01-29-2023, 05:00 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
I've heard that the flaps give you better fuel economy but I've never seen anybody quantify by how much. It could just be a gimmick to avoid a gas-guzzler tax.
If my F10's are any indication (one had the shutters, the other doesn't), they're good for about 3.xx mpg on the freeway. They also help the engine get to operating temp (closed loop) sooner for emissions.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 06:33 PM   #5
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Thanks ezaircon4jc. Junebug85 or anybody else who has removed their grill shutters, please let us know if your fuel economy changed after removing the shutters, and by how much. If it really is ~3 mpg on the highway, that will quickly add up given the price of premium fuel these days.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      01-29-2023, 06:39 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks ezaircon4jc. Junebug85 or anybody else who has removed their grill shutters, please let us know if your fuel economy changed after removing the shutters, and by how much. If it really is ~3 mpg on the highway, that will quickly add up given the price of premium fuel these days.
Depending on how much freeway driving one does. I did quite a bit more when I was working and we went up to the L.A. area to take my MIL shopping (she never got her license).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 09:25 AM   #7
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
I'll check next time I'm in the car on a motorway journey.

I did go out in the car this morning - the time it took to warm up to operating temp wasn't any longer (that I noticed or caused any concerns for me) than before. Maybe a few minutes if it were timed.

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2023, 03:25 AM   #8
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

My fuel economy has not changed. What has changed

1) My engine takes a little longer to warm up when its really cold outside
2) My engine bay gets a lot dustier without the shutters keeping everything out

Other than that, no real issues.
Appreciate 2