BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Emergency call battery fault. DIY?

12-27-2022, 05:29 AM   #45
Tjkd
Rep
Drives: 520d 2018 G31, 530e 2020 G30

I have a G31 2018 made 2017-07, and the TCB seems not to be located in the rear roof?! I have pulled ut down but cant ser any TCB-module between or behind the speakers in The roof. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 07:15 AM   #46
elvir79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
Did that. Now it's warmer (+20 degs C in a day) the warning has gone. Spare battery, anyone?
this was also my case and only replacing the battery fixed the issue
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 03:16 PM   #47
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjkd View Post
I have a G31 2018 made 2017-07, and the TCB seems not to be located in the rear roof?! I have pulled ut down but cant ser any TCB-module between or behind the speakers in The roof. Any ideas?
Where you able to locate the module?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 06:37 AM   #48
project101
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 5 SERIES

hi guys,

Just had the same issue on my 2019 5 Series, I replaced the battery the error disappeared straight away but has returned after a few days.. I have not cleared the error code yet, do you think it might be this or is there another issue?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 07:12 AM   #49
Pontus BMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D xDrive 2018

Hello guys,

Jumping in here too…

I have similar problem with the emergency call warning and I assume it’s a bad battery. What is worrying me more though is that my navigation and all online services has no access too. Don’t know if this could be connected to the TCU/TCB battery?? Read multiple threads about the battery and never seen anyone having the same issue with the navigation. Starting to think about the antenna but then all my radio channels work. Bluetooth connection works fine too.

Any ideas? Guess I’ll just have to order that battery an try..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 01:17 AM   #50
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontus BMW View Post
Hello guys,

Jumping in here too…

I have similar problem with the emergency call warning and I assume it’s a bad battery. What is worrying me more though is that my navigation and all online services has no access too. Don’t know if this could be connected to the TCU/TCB battery?? Read multiple threads about the battery and never seen anyone having the same issue with the navigation. Starting to think about the antenna but then all my radio channels work. Bluetooth connection works fine too.

Any ideas? Guess I’ll just have to order that battery an try..
I'm sorry to say that it's unlikely to be the tcb battery causing the online nav problems. The battery will cure the emergency call failure message and is literally a10 minute fix ie no need to remove the headlining inn a g30. So start with that and then diagnose the other failures.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 05:45 AM   #51
Pontus BMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D xDrive 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
I'm sorry to say that it's unlikely to be the tcb battery causing the online nav problems. The battery will cure the emergency call failure message and is literally a10 minute fix ie no need to remove the headlining inn a g30. So start with that and then diagnose the other failures.
This is my thinking. Have the battery on order and will change ones it comes I have the G31 so a bit more of a hassle but seems doable without tearing anything out. Managed to get a picture of the module and seems like it has been a little moisture around the edges of the battery cover. Will have to investigate this a bit better when I have time but it I’m starting to get a little worried that there has been water creeping in from the shark fin which caused some strange things happening.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 04:04 PM   #52
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontus BMW View Post
. Will have to investigate this a bit better when I have time but it I’m starting to get a little worried that there has been water creeping in from the shark fin which caused some strange things happening.
That sounds entirely possible. Others who have had work done around the sharks fin have reported problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 04:19 PM   #53
cayde21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

I just replaced the battery on my G30 after getting the "Emergency call system not available" error on my dash, however the error is still there. Everything is working just fine but the error on my dash wont go away. Is there a way to clear it without breaking the bank or itll go away on its own after a few drives
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 11:33 AM   #54
simonbmw1209
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520 M Sport Estate

I am certain that the fault on my <4 year old G31 is due to a leak around the fin. I let it dry out and then taped it up. It worked fine until I removed the tape and more rain got in.
I also have a SIB (65 07 18) from the USA for cars in 2018 where they knew of the fault in the seal around the fin, and the SIB says to fix it before delivery of all cars if possible, otherwise reseal it when next serviced.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 04:26 AM   #55
sproyd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 (2019)

Happened to my 2019 G31 also, kept on street in UK < 30K miles

I don't really have the time to replace this myself so lived with the sporadic error pop-up for a few months. As another poster has said, very annoying on the displays particularly when it replaces the ODO - poorly thought out design.

Anyway car is in with a main BMW dealer for a service today and I raised it at the desk. They quoted £250 incl. VAT for parts and labour including taking down and replacing the headlining which is the OEM recommendation to avoid any creasing. However the dealer said they can replace the battery more cheaply by completing a less labour intensive job - but outside the strict BMW OEM directions - which came in at closer to £150 incl. VAT... I accepted in order to save the hassle of DIY. They also said they need to digitally clear the code after which could explain why some others who did the DIY battery replacement are still having errors.

I asked the Dealer if they could just kill the code completely and let the battery go dead - but they couldn't (which I understand from a main dealer's liability perspective).

Just putting this out there as there was someone who said they were quoted £1K! This is an absolute PITA piece of maintenance especially if it has to be done every several years for something you'll likely never use (and I don't mean like airbags I mean like more likely you will call emergency services from your mobile if in a crash). My BMW dealer agreed saying other customers had also complained about it and it was common for the battery to die just out of the 3yr warranty window.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:32 PM   #56
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

If you have a G31 and you get quoted £150 I cannot stress enough how much you should take them up on that offer.
I replaced my battery at the weekend through the speaker opening, it was the biggest pain imaginable and cut my hands to bits trying to blindly feel my way through tiny gaps lined with sharp metal clips.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:42 AM   #57
capese21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 5 series Msport G30 530e

Drop the headlining at the back to increase access & remove the speaker cover makes it a straight forward 10 minute job.

Dealer price for the part is £60 but a generic one is around £10.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 01:28 PM   #58
antsgame
Rep
Drives: F30 2013

Easy. Buy original from bmw. I don't want a cheap battery catching fire.
Appreciate 0