BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Chunk of ice on the road vs. front lip spoiler - spoiler came in second...need one

03-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #23
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboi View Post
It looks great like that. I'm not too sure about what you meant about using the tape on the wings? Are they attached without tape on that picture?
Yes. my last spoiler, that cracked off, had tape under the wings on the sides of the fender and on the bumper. This one fits so snugly that I didn't use any tape at all. Which is great because if I ever remove it, it just unbolts from the car. no cleaning up old tape.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 01:47 AM   #24
brokeboi
Private
Rep
Drives: F90

How long did it take to install the wings and the lip? I have something very similiar on the way, but the local workshop says it will take 4 hours to install, which sounds pretty ridiculous to me, so I'm considering doing it by myself. Judging from pictures and videoes online, it looks like an easy install.

Also, how many holes did you have to drill?

Last edited by brokeboi; 03-11-2020 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #25
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The only “difficult” part is getting the screws in due to the fact that my floor jack is at our lake house. With mine you basically use the existing push pins that are already in the car. Then there are four screw bolts but they weren’t long enough so I used regular screws with a washer. Then the wings just screw into the spoiler base with 16 little screws. Probably looking at a 20 minute job max. And again, I didn’t use any adhesive tape. Fits like a glove.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #26
brokeboi
Private
Rep

Recently received my lip and splitters. Turned out to be non-oem look, so I had to order a new one. 200 dollars straight out of the window. Hopefully the new one will fit.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #27
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Recently received my lip and splitters. Turned out to be non-oem look, so I had to order a new one. 200 dollars straight out of the window. Hopefully the new one will fit.
That does suck. I ordered a rear diffuser/lower valence setup from ebay, "carbon fiber" - could NOT get the lower valence to install without gaps. Filed for a return, they said no. Opened a claim with ebay, they said no return, no refund. I then called ebay, sent them pics etc. and they did actually give me the refund AND told me to just keep it! So I ended up getting a gloss black setup, same pieces. Gloss black lower valence fit perfectly and then used the CF diffuser from the refunded set with that, looks great!
Look at the front splitter set I got, looks perfect to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #28
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
200 dollars straight out of the window.
Refer to post #16 on this thread.

"Nope...Imma say ditch eBay parts on the Ultimate Driving Machine"
      03-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #29
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post

Dobie Dobie Dobie...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #30
brokeboi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Dog View Post

LOL, lowkey saw that one coming. With the new front lip and splitter, I'm still 70% below the total cost of the OEM version. I also don't want carbon fiber, which is why I stayed away from OEM in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #31
brokeboi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf750 View Post
That does suck. I ordered a rear diffuser/lower valence setup from ebay, "carbon fiber" - could NOT get the lower valence to install without gaps. Filed for a return, they said no. Opened a claim with ebay, they said no return, no refund. I then called ebay, sent them pics etc. and they did actually give me the refund AND told me to just keep it! So I ended up getting a gloss black setup, same pieces. Gloss black lower valence fit perfectly and then used the CF diffuser from the refunded set with that, looks great!
Look at the front splitter set I got, looks perfect to me.
I didn't order it from ebay, so I'm out of luck in terms of returning it. I could return it thouht, but international return shipping is not cheap and filing for tax returns is just too much of a hassle for what I get back in the end. I bought it from the same place that I bought my rear diffuser from, which I was very pleased with. Oh well, 1 out of 2 ain't too bad.

The new one was ordered from ebay, so returns or refunds might be easier if the front lip turns out to be trash again.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #32
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't order it from ebay, so I'm out of luck in terms of returning it. I could return it thouht, but international return shipping is not cheap and filing for tax returns is just too much of a hassle for what I get back in the end. I bought it from the same place that I bought my rear diffuser from, which I was very pleased with. Oh well, 1 out of 2 ain't too bad.

The new one was ordered from ebay, so returns or refunds might be easier if the front lip turns out to be trash again.
Not sure if you got the one I did but definitely try installing it without the tape first. As I said before, fits amazingly well without any tape at all.

Now, depending on which one you got, it will come with about 10 or so screws to bolt under the bumper...mine came with NONE, so I bought some stainless still screws, maybe 1.5" tall. Turns out you really only need 4-6 of them as you will end up using the existing push screw things that are already on the car. And if you don't have a jack handy, which i didn't as my floor jack is elsewhere, I just used a dewalt drill right angle attachment - very easy! https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:36 AM   #33
brokeboi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you got the one I did but definitely try installing it without the tape first. As I said before, fits amazingly well without any tape at all.

Now, depending on which one you got, it will come with about 10 or so screws to bolt under the bumper...mine came with NONE, so I bought some stainless still screws, maybe 1.5" tall. Turns out you really only need 4-6 of them as you will end up using the existing push screw things that are already on the car. And if you don't have a jack handy, which i didn't as my floor jack is elsewhere, I just used a dewalt drill right angle attachment - very easy! https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought the single piece version from ebay, the same one as another forum member bought. The splitters are basically a part of the lip.
I'm fortunate enough to have a jack available, so I know it won't be difficult to install. I will, however, end up with three open holes in the middle when I remove the current lip. They're not really visible unless you bend down at very close range. I'm probably going to put some small black screws in them to cover up the holes, just so that it looks somewhat decent.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #34
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
gotcha! post a pic when done please. and you can also get these little plastic grommet type things that cover screw holes - I used to use them when I removed my front plate to cover the holes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:29 AM   #35
brokeboi
Private
Rep

Quote:
gotcha! post a pic when done please. and you can also get these little plastic grommet type things that cover screw holes - I used to use them when I removed my front plate to cover the holes.
Do you have a picture of the ones you used?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #36
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
something akin to this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #37
brokeboi
Private
Rep

I finally received my front lip and splitter after several delays due to the coronavirus pandemic. I decided to have it profesionally painted in the same color as the car (DGM) and I really like how it turned out. Fitment is on point by 100%, looks like oem all the way around.

I also changed the mirror caps to gloss black M5 style mirror caps a couple of weeks ago. Very pleased with how those turned out too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #38
DobermanLV
Rep
Drives: G30 530iM

Looking good, brokeboi
      05-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #39
BarnBade
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530i

Quote:
Wings are on...still can't figure out why the pic is sideways...anyway, I have to say fitment is spot on for $139.00 - it comes with tape but while I used tape on the last one, the wings fit so tightly to the car, unnecessary, which will make it an easy uninstall when I turn the lease in. Looks great to me...Dobie will hate it...
Thats looks clean, do you have a link to where you got it?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #40
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-17-2020...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 01:09 PM   #41
Zito
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
I finally received my front lip and splitter after several delays due to the coronavirus pandemic. I decided to have it profesionally painted in the same color as the car (DGM) and I really like how it turned out. Fitment is on point by 100%, looks like oem all the way around.

I also changed the mirror caps to gloss black M5 style mirror caps a couple of weeks ago. Very pleased with how those turned out too.
Beautiful car, looks really god. Where did you order the front spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #42
brokeboi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zito View Post
Beautiful car, looks really god. Where did you order the front spoiler?
Thanks. I ordered it from eBay, link below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-17-19-...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #43
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
love that the one I got at least required no tape at all. Which means easy removal once the lease is up!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #44
brokeboi
Private
Rep

I also didn't use the tape on mine either, the fit is snug and perfectly lined up. I'm not on a lease, but winters tend to get harsh around here so it could potentially break if I hit something hard during that season. Good to know that removal will be easy.
Appreciate 0