BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications NEW RELEASE: Dinan N63TU3 Performance Engine Software (20MY ONLY)

10-23-2023, 09:47 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Dinan N63TU3 Performance Engine Software (20MY ONLY)

Name:  D900-N63-T3-TC_1_Forum.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  471.2 KB

Part Number(s): D900-N63-T3-TC-S1 & D900-N63-T3-TC-S1-W

Applications:
  • 2020 G30 M550i xDrive
  • 2020 G11 750i xDrive
  • 2019-2020 G14/G15/G16 M850i xDrive
Current compatibility is limited to vehicles with the N63TU3 engine from the 2020 MY (specifically up to a 06/2020 build date). 2019 and prior M550i's/750i's with the N63TU2 engine & 2021+ MY's with updated encryption are not supported at this time.

Product Page(s) / Pricing:
  • Stage 1: HERE
  • Dinan + (Factory Matching Warranty): HERE
Release Date: Available Now!

Description: Even though a step below the S63TU4 and the immense power that that M engine wields, the N63TU3 still shares much of the same V8 architecture and is plenty capable of feats most powerplants can only imagine. Paired with a Dinan Stage 1 calibration yielding max gains on pump gas of nearly +110 WHP and +140 lb-ft of torque, the N63TU3 and the M550i/M850i it powers, instantly evens the playing field and puts the platforms on level footing with the alphas of the brand. The imposing gains are eye-opening on their own but considering that those figures are with no additional modifications or alterations to the catalysts, it's an even more impressive achievement. Utilize E85 and the gains jump yet another factor of fun -- a mind boggling additional +207 WHP and +205 lb-ft of torque to be exact. Even if you wish to retain the 4yr/50k warranty, maximum gains are far from paltry with the Dinan+ variant registering gains of 81 WHP and 123 lb-ft of torque. No matter if you opt for the peace of mind or pursue the greatest power potential, you will enjoy the results and the childlike grin it puts on your face.

While increases in power at this scale typically come at a cost to the engine's durability, this is typically due to improper calibrations that are simply after one goal regardless of engine health - maximum power. Dinan's calibrations are safe and reliable without sacrificing long-term reliability or performance. Dinan performance engine software is so much more than just turning up the turbo boost after all. It is a fully re-tuned engine management program that maximizes power while keeping all the BMW factory safeguards in place. In most cases Dinan software engineers also implement their own additional safety precautions in order to guarantee flawless performance that may not have been needed with factory power levels/programming. Protecting your BMW, while giving the most performance, is the definition of "Performance Without Sacrifice". To do just that, drivetrain and engine components are analyzed for strength, and then the calibration is tested on the dyno and in the real world for durability and drivability. This process has been a cornerstone of Dinan software development for decades and a major reason why Dinan performance tunes are often labelled as being the smoothest, factory-like solution in the marketplace.

Features/Benefits (Stage 1):
  • More Power: Max gains of 207 WHP / 205 lb-ft of torque over stock on E85 or 108 WHP / 141 lb-ft of torque over stock with 93 octane. Consult the performance charts for specific octanes and their associated data.
  • Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty.
  • Access to numerous octane calibrations depending on your needs (91, 93, 100, 104 and E85). Switching between mappings would require a reflash at a Dinan authorized dealer.
  • Full map rescaling for drivability from idle to wide-open throttle and everywhere in between.
  • Optimized boost control, cam phasing, fueling, airflow and temperature controls for maximum power output that is also safe and reliable.
  • Retains all BMW factory engine safeguards and adds numerous additional safety protections.
  • Top speed governor (VMAX) removed.
  • Torque by gear strategies implemented for maximum power output and traction.
  • Sport mode cooling that targets lower coolant temperatures added for optimum track effectiveness.
  • Pedal feel improved to naturally align with the increased torque output.
  • Sport gauges rescaled to reflect higher than stock power output.
  • Torque reserve feature enabled for increased boost pressure during launch control.

Features/Benefits (Dinan +):
  • More Power: Max gains of 81 WHP / 123 lb-ft of torque over stock with 91 octane. Consult the performance charts for additional data.
  • Dinan + performance software matches the factory new car warranty (4year / 50,000 mi) and is the warranty protection commonly associated with the Dinan brand.
  • Limited to a single calibration (91).
  • All other features from stage 1 above are shared with the Dinan + calibration.

Special Notes:
  • DME UNLOCK & FLASH: N63TU3 DME's must be unlocked and bench flashed by Dinan. While dealer / retail unlock and flashing tools are in development, at present, two options are available: (1) Visit a Dinan Dealer and purchase the Dinan Flash Software. They will remove and mail the DME to Dinan. We'll unlock the DME, flash the software and ship it back. They'll reinstall the DME. (2) Purchase the tune. Send us your DME. We’ll unlock it, install Dinan software, and ship it back. The unlock process is free. Ground shipping to the continental USA is free. Please follow the steps on the product page if this is the course you wish to pursue. At no time during the unlocking process is the DME opened or physically modified. If the DME is flashed back to stock, it will need to be unlocked again. Also, vehicle manufacturers issue many DME part numbers and revisions throughout their vehicle lineup. As such, some DMEs may be temporarily unavailable as new parts and/or revisions are released.
  • BOX CODES: The N63TU3 engine and its multitude of variants account for numerous unique box codes across various platforms. While Dinan has created files for many of these permutations, there is a chance you may have a box code that we have not seen. If this happens to be the case we will need to create a file for your vehicle. This process could add up to 7 days to the bench flash process although in most cases it will be turned around within 2 business days.

Name:  D900-N63-T3-TC_2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  285.8 KB
Name:  D900-N63-T3-TC_3.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  294.9 KB
Name:  D900-N63-T3-TC_4.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  287.8 KB
Name:  D900-N63-T3-TC_5.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  373.8 KB
Appreciate 3
      10-23-2023, 10:47 AM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Thank you for the release and all of the detailed performance data! I'm delighted to see the interest in the N63TU3 engine. Do you plan to provide a platform to allow those of us with unlocked DMEs to flash the software ourselves?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 01:01 PM   #3
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
Thank you for the release and all of the detailed performance data! I'm delighted to see the interest in the N63TU3 engine. Do you plan to provide a platform to allow those of us with unlocked DMEs to flash the software ourselves?
We continue to investigate external solutions as well as work on our own in house reverse engineering effort for the newest encryption. Remains to be seen exactly how either path will come to fruition but we are trying to take into consideration what is out there already so that there is maximum versatility and less need for additional expenditure in reflashes/unlocks/etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 03:30 PM   #4
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Surprised to see the N63TU3 can handle full E85 on stock fueling.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 12:52 PM   #5
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

question

How does this compare to the JB4 Map 2? I had 3.16 0-60 and 11.18 1/4 mile with JB4. Wondering if the tune feels better in the mid-range normal driving experience? Also can our cars run on E85 without changing any physical hardware, ie. - fuel pump etc.?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason526 View Post
How does this compare to the JB4 Map 2? I had 3.16 0-60 and 11.18 1/4 mile with JB4. Wondering if the tune feels better in the mid-range normal driving experience? Also can our cars run on E85 without changing any physical hardware, ie. - fuel pump etc.?
Don't have any direct testing with the JB4 but just based off of their dyno charts on their website it looks like our baselines are relatively close so data can be compared with minimal squinting. You can make your own inferences based on that.

And yes, the N63TU3 can handle E85 with software modifications only and no changes to hardware (fueling system or otherwise). The E85 callibration is using our local E85 (MAPCO) straight from the pump (so E60-E85 but this particular station tends to be E75 and above).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

how does your wheel torque only go down by 29 pounds from the measured at crank value (717 at crank versus 688 at wheels)? That is only a 4% loss, I'm not even sure that is possible. It seems there is an error in the numbers!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 03:55 PM   #8
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
how does your wheel torque only go down by 29 pounds from the measured at crank value (717 at crank versus 688 at wheels)? That is only a 4% loss, I'm not even sure that is possible. It seems there is an error in the numbers!
jason526 Where are you getting the 717 crank value? By comparison, the stock 495 hp/547 ft-lb. numbers measured at the wheels are only slightly below the factory published crank numbers of 523 hp/553 ft-lb. I'd attribute that to the fact that BMW notoriously underrates their engines in their published specs.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 04:51 PM   #9
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
jason526 . I'd attribute that to the fact that BMW notoriously underrates their engines in their published specs.
I agree. Most figures for 2020+ puts them at 480-490WHP so likely closer to 550HP at the crank assuming 10-11% loss.

The figures seem reasonable overall and it's good to see the torque is managed to around 700lb-ft to prevent bendy rods.

I was going to say the dragy numbers aren't great, but the DA is pretty bad so these are definitly worst case. I'd expect the stock and 93 numbers to be 0.5 seconds better with a good DA. Personally I've done 11.6@120 stock and 11.45@122 with xHP, but on a prepped strip, as it's too dangerous to my licenses to do it on the street (criminal offence) Not so sure about the E85 number though.

And super interesting re: E85 given a lot of internet wisdom says E50 is the max. A hell of a lot easier to just run a tank of E85 instead of trying to work it all out. It would be a lot safer with a flex fuel kit (come on BM3).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 05:07 PM   #10
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All the crank/flywheel numbers are formula based at this point (the ones below) so its simply what it comes to.

HP = TRQ * RPM / 5252
TRQ = HP * 5252 / RPM

If you don't trust the crank numbers or the formulas feel free to only look at the wheel numbers as those are directly averaged of 5 runs on the chassis dyno. The crank numbers are really just there so it can be compared to factory ratings as some folks desire.

As far as the crank numbers go a couple notes to make it clearer how those numbers are derived:
  1. The WHP is the starting point used.
  2. DT losses are variable and not static for all RPM's -- they actually increase as power goes up. For the vast majority of people a static percentage is used for convenience however. In the example you called out the DT loss is 9% at 3000 RPM but just under 7% at 1500 RPM, and climbs to ~14% at 6500 RPM. We found this spread to be pretty consistent for all modern BMWs when comparing to MAHA dynos and other flywheel based dynos overseas. Not perfect by any means, and there are always anomalies, but at the end of the day flywheel/crank measurements are more a reference than anything.

To get the numbers in your specific example---
  1. WHP is multiplied by the DT loss factor for that RPM to find FWHP (Flywheel HP/Crank).
  2. FWHP is multiplied by 5252 and divided by the RPM in question to find the Flywheel Torque.
  3. Stock FWHP / 327 = 300 WHP * 1.09 DT loss (loss at 3000 RPM)
  4. Tuned FWHP / 410 = 376 WHP * 1.09 DT loss (loss at 3000 RPM)
  5. Stock FWTQ / 572 = 327 FWHP * 5252 / 3000 RPM
  6. Tuned FWTQ / 717 = 410 FWHP * 5252 / 3000 RPM

Are there flaws here? Sure -- but again, its more of a reference for gains and a comparison to factory ratings so as long as the methodology is consistent it should be relatively accurate, or as some would say in the building -- "directionally accurate".

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 10-25-2023 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 05:15 PM   #11
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
I agree. Most figures for 2020+ puts them at 480-490WHP so likely closer to 550HP at the crank assuming 10-11% loss.

The figures seem reasonable overall and it's good to see the torque is managed to around 700lb-ft to prevent bendy rods.

I was going to say the dragy numbers aren't great, but the DA is pretty bad so these are definitly worst case. I'd expect the stock and 93 numbers to be 0.5 seconds better with a good DA. Personally I've done 11.6@120 stock and 11.45@122 with xHP, but on a prepped strip, as it's too dangerous to my licenses to do it on the street (criminal offence) Not so sure about the E85 number though.

And super interesting re: E85 given a lot of internet wisdom says E50 is the max. A hell of a lot easier to just run a tank of E85 instead of trying to work it all out. It would be a lot safer with a flex fuel kit (come on BM3).
2000 DA here in the deep south where humidity is almost always 80% or higher and temps are typically hotter in general is about as best case scenario as we get around here. As a result nearly everyone will be able to pull better numbers than what we are able to do. The dragy data does illustrate the huge improvements from stock to tuned though. Dropping a second and picking up 7 MPH in the quarter on pump gas and then dropping another half second and picking up another 10 MPH just switching to E85 is "solid" if you ask me. Given -- biased.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 05:23 PM   #12
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok now I get it, your explanation is great. I was focused on the delta between the wheel and crank torque but the crank numbers are only factored so they are not material. I find it very interesting the difference between the tuning approaches between Carbahn and Dinan. Carbahn increased their torque by only 9% and you have increased your torque by 26%. That is a massive difference Dinan wheel torque at 688 lbs and Carbahn at 583 lbs. It seems the Carbahn tune is much more conservative. By the way, to get your tune done I was quoted $1,565 by one of your authorized dealers. $700 for the tune and $860 to pull the ecu and mail it both ways. Thought I'd tell you so you'll understand why folks are asking to have another way to flash rather than pulling the ECU. The tune price of $700 is very reasonable, but I'm not going to pay almost $900 to have someone pull the ECU and mail it....Crazy. And no I don't feel comfortable pulling it out myself....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 05:46 PM   #13
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
2000 DA here in the deep south where humidity is almost always 80% or higher and temps are typically hotter in general is about as best case scenario as we get around here. As a result nearly everyone will be able to pull better numbers than what we are able to do. The dragy data does illustrate the huge improvements from stock to tuned though. Dropping a second and picking up 7 MPH in the quarter on pump gas and then dropping another half second and picking up another 10 MPH just switching to E85 is "solid" if you ask me. Given -- biased.
No argument here. Solid results��

Last edited by choppedliver; 10-25-2023 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 05:54 AM   #14
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Is remote start working with this reflash?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 07:50 AM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok now I get it, your explanation is great. I was focused on the delta between the wheel and crank torque but the crank numbers are only factored so they are not material. I find it very interesting the difference between the tuning approaches between Carbahn and Dinan. Carbahn increased their torque by only 9% and you have increased your torque by 26%. That is a massive difference Dinan wheel torque at 688 lbs and Carbahn at 583 lbs. It seems the Carbahn tune is much more conservative. By the way, to get your tune done I was quoted $1,565 by one of your authorized dealers. $700 for the tune and $860 to pull the ecu and mail it both ways. Thought I'd tell you so you'll understand why folks are asking to have another way to flash rather than pulling the ECU. The tune price of $700 is very reasonable, but I'm not going to pay almost $900 to have someone pull the ECU and mail it....Crazy. And no I don't feel comfortable pulling it out myself....
Understood on the alternatives. Alternative delivery system is being worked on/addressed but ultimately the solution is tied to the larger problem with 2021+ vehicles so its been a slow go to put it mildly. The calibration for the 2020 was done though and had an option to release (bench flash) so we decided to throw it out there knowing full well it would be an uphill climb for any meaningful adoption. More of a carrot to let folks know we are working on the stuff and what we can deliver is competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntech View Post
Is remote start working with this reflash?
Tis my understanding that remote start was not an option with the 20MY. Neither of our development cars had the option though so nothing has been tested specifically on the M550i. That said, if the option does exist it more then likely can be retained using the same process/patch for keeping remote start we utilize on other G chassis vehicle flashes.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:00 AM   #16
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

one last question - is it one tune file that works for both 93 ocatne and e85 or do you have to select one?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:01 AM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
one last question - is it one tune file that works for both 93 ocatne and e85 or do you have to select one?
Have to select one. They are different calibrations.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 01:32 PM   #18
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
jason526 Where are you getting the 717 crank value? By comparison, the stock 495 hp/547 ft-lb. numbers measured at the wheels are only slightly below the factory published crank numbers of 523 hp/553 ft-lb. I'd attribute that to the fact that BMW notoriously underrates their engines in their published specs.

Are you using the BM3? Which tune are you running? Do you still like it?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #19
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here's an interesting chart that I put together based on all the data published by their websites. I understand this is not an exact science which is why I am only looking at the % increases of HP & torque only. When you line it up this way you can see why all of these tunes are netting similar draggy results...It also helped me understand why my 0-60 and quarter mile are so fast with JB4 in relationship to some of the other tunes. Regardless, it does look like you get the best of both worlds with the Dinan Tune.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 185
Size:  12.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 02:19 PM   #20
jason526
Enlisted Member
Rep

I also overlayed the Dinan chart over the JB4 chart with them aligned at the baseline torque values. They look really close up until 4k rpm and then Dinan maintains for much longer. Not sure how different the JB4 would look with 93 vs 91

Name:  overlay.PNG
Views: 188
Size:  533.2 KB octane.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 05:50 PM   #21
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Tis my understanding that remote start was not an option with the 20MY. Neither of our development cars had the option though so nothing has been tested specifically on the M550i. That said, if the option does exist it more then likely can be retained using the same process/patch for keeping remote start we utilize on other G chassis vehicle flashes.
I can't speak to the M550i, but 20MY M850i does have remote start.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 07:02 PM   #22
Bsm550
Private
Rep
Drives: M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
I can't speak to the M550i, but 20MY M850i does have remote start.
M850 is the flagship model it gets all all the bells and whistles
Appreciate 0