BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Tuning options vs BMW Factory warranty?

02-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
Abondare77
Rep
Drives: G30 540i M-Sport

Hey all,

Been doing some research on tuning platforms for my 2018 540i. I still have a little under 2 years left on my factory warranty. I've seen mixed reviews about tuning with factory warranties - and it mainly boiling down to how heavily the car is modified / how your dealership is towards both.Looking for any input and any personal experience with this!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abondare77 View Post
Hey all,

Been doing some research on tuning platforms for my 2018 540i. I still have a little under 2 years left on my factory warranty. I've seen mixed reviews about tuning with factory warranties - and it mainly boiling down to how heavily the car is modified / how your dealership is towards both.Looking for any input and any personal experience with this!

Cheers!
Had a BM3 tune on my 2018 440xi, and I didn't get flagged. But this summer, speaking with my service advisor - he told me things have changed where they used to have to plug special software in and go digging to find out if you're tuned and black flag you. Now, the software is built in to the diagnostic tool snd does it automatically as soon as tour car is plugged in to a diagnostic computer at the dealer. So, if you have warranty I would absolutely not risk an ECU flash tune like BM3 or RK Tunes etc. they will definitely void tour warranty. But if warranty doesn't matter, BM3 was a great platform.

Don't have experience with a piggyback solution like a JB4, but I believe those are hard to track the same way as an ECU flash. Especially if you actually totally uninstall the piggyback before taking it in for service.

YMMV, but from my personal experience doing a full flash tune under warranty is a huge risk and I wouldn't do it unless I had the $$$ to pay for a new engine in case something catastrophic went wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abondare77 View Post
Hey all,

Cheers!
You'll hear all kinds of stories online, the reality is that as long as you remove the tune before your visit and you are not asking the dealership to fix damage caused by your mods, you will be fine. This is tested and proven by hundreds of thousands of modded cars under warranty

A piggyback is also harder to catch than a flash tune, if you want to be extra safe you can go that route as well

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #4
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You'll hear all kinds of stories online, the reality is that as long as you remove the tune before your visit and you are not asking the dealership to fix damage caused by your mods, you will be fine. This is tested and proven by hundreds of thousands of modded cars under warranty

A piggyback is also harder to catch than a flash tune, if you want to be extra safe you can go that route as well
I would have thought with a piggyback that extra boost etc could be a signal to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:53 PM   #5
JimMag
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Tune for 2021 550ix

Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

Mike, can you hook me up with a tune for my 2021 550ix ?
Jim Maguire
203-996-8450
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
I would have thought with a piggyback that extra boost etc could be a signal to BMW.
the piggyback works by tricking the ECU into thinking it's running stock boost, that's how it makes the extra power.
I'm not saying a piggyback is impossible to be caught but a simple boost history check will show everything running as normal with a piggyback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMag View Post

Mike, can you hook me up with a tune for my 2021 550ix ?
Jim Maguire
203-996-8450
check your inbox

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0