BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 2021 M550i Dinan X-Pipe

01-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #1
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

2021 M550i Dinan X-Pipe

Getting talked into doing a Dinan X-pipe install instead of a resonator cut out and straight pipe welded in.

Any insight on where to get the best pricing on this? I'll do my research, just hoping someone might know a good place to go for pricing.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
PsiAddict
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i 2019 C7 GS

I believe “GetBMWParts” is the cheapest, but you have to email them and ask for a quote, as their lowest is not advertised. Also, keep in mind production is delayed until about March it sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #3
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerflakes View Post
Getting talked into doing a Dinan X-pipe install instead of a resonator cut out and straight pipe welded in.

Any insight on where to get the best pricing on this? I'll do my research, just hoping someone might know a good place to go for pricing.
I don't think you'll regret doing this, I had the Dinan mid pipe on my 440i and loved it.

I'm holding out for a full Remus cat back system myself, just waiting for a bit to honestly savor the process and not rush into it. I've gotten bored being 'done' with all my mods and now I'm staring down an expensive exhaust. I can't imagine how bad I'm screwed when I get bored after the exhaust hahaha

I think though that with your mid pipe install it'll be easy to add the Dinan back box, or any of the other exhaust companies that do back boxes if you decide you want more noise later on. From my research ACS and Eisenmann are only back boxes (based on pictures online from retailers) but Dinan and Remus also make that back "axle back" section too.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
wigglebutts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Part of me wants to spend $400 to cut the resonators out.

Part of me wants to go Dinan as well. Something about a Midas muffler cutting up my $90K cars exhaust just doesn't seem right.

Something about spending $1,200 on tubing also doesn't sound right.
      01-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyas490 View Post
I don't think you'll regret doing this, I had the Dinan mid pipe on my 440i and loved it.

I'm holding out for a full Remus cat back system myself, just waiting for a bit to honestly savor the process and not rush into it. I've gotten bored being 'done' with all my mods and now I'm staring down an expensive exhaust. I can't imagine how bad I'm screwed when I get bored after the exhaust hahaha

I think though that with your mid pipe install it'll be easy to add the Dinan back box, or any of the other exhaust companies that do back boxes if you decide you want more noise later on. From my research ACS and Eisenmann are only back boxes (based on pictures online from retailers) but Dinan and Remus also make that back "axle back" section too.
Great info! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #6
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglebutts View Post
Part of me wants to spend $400 to cut the resonators out.

Part of me wants to go Dinan as well. Something about a Midas muffler cutting up my $90K cars exhaust just doesn't seem right.

Something about spending $1,200 on tubing also doesn't sound right.
I know... I took my car to a high end/exotic shop near my house and they basically said they won't hack off the resonator like I wanted. They recommended having them custom fab an x-pipe or getting one pre-made for the car.

It's a huge difference in pricing for what I believe will be a similar result. My BMW CA's 2020 m550i with resonator delete has convinced me of this.

I think the win here might be to find the right shop who knows what they're doing and will take care of your car vs a. Midas type place.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #7
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, I said screw it. Going to a shop in Illinois my CA recommends. They said he sends people there all the time for the same thing. $300.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Co/2022 X5 M50i

Res delete is worth considering. I decided to get it done by a local performance shop and they did an amazing job. Top quality and a lot cheaper than something like Dinan. I know someone getting the full Remus as well so I'm keen to hear how they sound next to each other at some point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hoyas490131.50
      01-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #9
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kier77 View Post
Res delete is worth considering. I decided to get it done by a local performance shop and they did an amazing job. Top quality and a lot cheaper than something like Dinan. I know someone getting the full Remus as well so I'm keen to hear how they sound next to each other at some point.
Would absolutely love to hear your car and a full Remus cat back side by side video.

I'm waiting a bit, probably thinking I'll do mine in March/April depending on parts availability and covid. So, definitely eagerly 'subscribing' hahaha

How do you like the sound of the res delete from a good performance shop? (And what area are you in, if you're nearby I'd love to use that same shop for whatever exhaust work I do. Don't have a good shop already near me)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #10
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

I believe the Dinan midpipe has 3" vs our 2.75" oem midpipe. You could still get an entire 3" midpipe custom made for much cheaper than dinan's midpipe tho if you wanted to spend a bit more than $300 for resonator delete.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #11
PsiAddict
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i 2019 C7 GS

You should be able to find the Dinan for 9xx shipped. Talk to GetBMWParts.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #12
550 Mike
550 Mike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Dinan Axle Back System

Hello All
My first post as a new member.
During this past summer, I ordered the axle back muffler system via a local service garage with a Dinan background. Long story short. Waited nearly 5 months & Dinan never made the system available re "back logged". Has anyone experienced a similar situation with Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:44 PM   #13
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyas490 View Post
Quote:
Would absolutely love to hear your car and a full Remus cat back side by side video.

I'm waiting a bit, probably thinking I'll do mine in March/April depending on parts availability and covid. So, definitely eagerly 'subscribing' hahaha

How do you like the sound of the res delete from a good performance shop? (And what area are you in, if you're nearby I'd love to use that same shop for whatever exhaust work I do. Don't have a good shop already near me)
I like the sound with res delete but it could do with being a little deeper. I've spoken to someone about custom work on the muffler that might help but it's not reversible.

My only complaint, and this is very minor, is that the res delete has made the overrun pops and bangs very loud and seemingly more frequent. If you like them, you would love this mod but I find them a little annoying at times.

All in all I think this is a great bang for buck mod.

Unfortunately I don't think we will be anywhere near each other as I'm in Australia

The guy getting the Remus is also interstate from me about 10 hours drive away so it might be a while before we get a chance to get them side by side, if at all. We would both love to hear the difference though so we might make it happen. Be interesting to see if spending 8x more is worth it
Appreciate 1
hoyas490131.50
      01-27-2021, 06:29 AM   #14
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
I've read some of the other threads on here over the last few years and most people seem to be pretty happy with the resonator delete. I cannot quite tell from the posts how it sounds in comfort mode though. Do you mind sharing? Comfort mode assuming you haven't pulled the fuse while your car was in Sport mode.

To be honest I like the sound of the exhaust in Sport/Sport Plus but if I am just relaxing or talking etc -- I don't want the extra noise (the light drone). Does the res delete change anything about the sound during comfort driving from your perspective?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #15
blackdog2222
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I was also concerned about the level of the exhaust volume in comfort mode by deleting the resonators with a x-pipe. However except for start up, the exhaust sound in comfort mode was practically the same as before the delete.
Appreciate 1
crypto1467.50
      01-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #16
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I've read some of the other threads on here over the last few years and most people seem to be pretty happy with the resonator delete. I cannot quite tell from the posts how it sounds in comfort mode though. Do you mind sharing? Comfort mode assuming you haven't pulled the fuse while your car was in Sport mode.

To be honest I like the sound of the exhaust in Sport/Sport Plus but if I am just relaxing or talking etc -- I don't want the extra noise (the light drone). Does the res delete change anything about the sound during comfort driving from your perspective?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog2222 View Post
I was also concerned about the level of the exhaust volume in comfort mode by deleting the resonators with a x-pipe. However except for start up, the exhaust sound in comfort mode was practically the same as before the delete.
As blackdog said, it hardly changes in comfort and I've not experienced any noticeable drone on the motorway. It's a little bit louder at cold start or if you are hard on the accelerator, but even then it's not intrusive. On the motorway and just cruising it's still very quiet and relaxed.

I don't have a video and tbh I don't think it will really help much. The only way you are going to know for sure is hearing one in person. I was also worried about it but decided to take a chance as it's easily reversible. I haven't looked back since.
Appreciate 1
crypto1467.50
      01-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #17
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog2222 View Post
As blackdog said, it hardly changes in comfort and I've not experienced any noticeable drone on the motorway. It's a little bit louder at cold start or if you are hard on the accelerator, but even then it's not intrusive. On the motorway and just cruising it's still very quiet and relaxed.

I don't have a video and tbh I don't think it will really help much. The only way you are going to know for sure is hearing one in person. I was also worried about it but decided to take a chance as it's easily reversible. I haven't looked back since.
Thanks guys! Not in need of any clips or anything just wanted to hear feedback so that's perfect. I would probably not do it if comfort mode droned. Def interested in more out of sport mode with keeping comfort the same(ish). Sounds like a win.
Appreciate 0