Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I just got a 2018 M3. My previous car or used CarPlay. I haven't downloaded CarPlay yet, as I was trying to see if the regular iDrive would work for me. But every time I get in my car, it syncs with my iphone with good reliability, and starts playing the very first song in my library. I don't want to remove all of the music off my phone., As some of those songs are hard to find. Are there any settings on iDrive that will help with this, or even any settings on my iPhone? I probably will get CarPlay but I'm just trying to see if the native system is superior. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Before trying to answer whatever question is in your post, what is this “it stinks my phone with good reliability”?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Before trying to answer whatever question is in your post, what is this "it stinks my phone with good reliability"?
Haha. It SYNCS... haha
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
awg0020
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 Coupe

I have the same problem in my 2016 M4 and previously in my 2015 M235.

It's especially troublesome for me as the first song in my library, and thus what blares at me almost every morning at 6am, is a&t by 21 Savage.

I believe you can code the maximum volume at startup (defaults to 20 or 25%). I haven't tried setting it to 0%, but that may keep it from autoplaying.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
SteveGiant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 - LBB /6-spd / Exec.

I've been going nuts with the same problem in my F87, hoping to find a solution here. Shouldn't have to delete all of my downloaded music to work around the issue. Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg0020 View Post
I have the same problem in my 2016 M4 and previously in my 2015 M235.

It's especially troublesome for me as the first song in my library, and thus what blares at me almost every morning at 6am, is a&t by 21 Savage.

I believe you can code the maximum volume at startup (defaults to 20 or 25%). I haven't tried setting it to 0%, but that may keep it from autoplaying.
Yeah the first song on mine starts with this siren, so it's annoying as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
trackymbf82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, Bootmod3 on E85

Buy this song, it's quiet and should go to top of your songs.

itun.es/us/hgMOlb
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I think it's a apple thing. So annoying, does it in every car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
awg0020
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackymbf82 View Post
Buy this song, it's quiet and should go to top of your songs.

itun.es/us/hgMOlb
This.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Chas3R
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Coupe 6MT --SOLD //M4 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
I just got a 2018 M3. My previous car or used CarPlay. I haven't downloaded CarPlay yet, as I was trying to see if the regular iDrive would work for me. But every time I get in my car, it syncs with my iphone with good reliability, and starts playing the very first song in my library. I don't want to remove all of the music off my phone., As some of those songs are hard to find. Are there any settings on iDrive that will help with this, or even any settings on my iPhone? I probably will get CarPlay but I'm just trying to see if the native system is superior. Thank you
I dealt with this for YEARS in my 2015 M4, I only recently found a partial solution. I have Spotify, Apple Music, & Tidal and it seems Apple Music is the culprit, unfortunately I had to delete all of the music from the Apple Music app in settings and then completely remove that app from my phone. Once this was done I'm able to get Spotify or Tidal or the Podcasts app to resume from where it left off (with about a 65% success rate), occasionally it'll just be blank with no track playing --which is infinitely better than hearing the SAME song every time you start your car. At this point I have to open one of those previously mentioned apps and then it'll show back up on the screen. I am still hopeful that someone comes up with a Siri shortcut that resolves this. Hopefully this helps someone, if it does then give a dollar to a homeless person or something.

I imagine there's someone who works at BMW or Apple who goes through this everyday (chime in!!), the answer simply can't be to upgrade to a new car.

Take care everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #11
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas3R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
I dealt with this for YEARS in my 2015 M4, I only recently found a partial solution. I have Spotify, Apple Music, & Tidal and it seems Apple Music is the culprit, unfortunately I had to delete all of the music from the Apple Music app in settings and then completely remove that app from my phone. Once this was done I'm able to get Spotify or Tidal or the Podcasts app to resume from where it left off (with about a 65% success rate), occasionally it'll just be blank with no track playing --which is infinitely better than hearing the SAME song every time you start your car. At this point I have to open one of those previously mentioned apps and then it'll show back up on the screen. I am still hopeful that someone comes up with a Siri shortcut that resolves this. Hopefully this helps someone, if it does then give a dollar to a homeless person or something.

I imagine there's someone who works at BMW or Apple who goes through this everyday (chime in!!), the answer simply can't be to upgrade to a new car.

Take care everyone!
I just took a song that had a very soft and very long slow intro, And renamed it AAA or something like that so that it is now the first song that plays and essentially doesn't play and then it gives me time to sort my thoughts and figure out what I want to listen to without having to listen to the annoying sirens and craziness of the previous first song
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

It's an Apple thing. Does it on wife's Mazda as well even on regular bluetooth. Apple knows better after all
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #13
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I use this tweak on my iPhone X. You must have a jailbroken iPhone to use it though. It says it's for iOS 12, but I use it with iOS 11 and works perfect still
Attached Images