BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Slight shake in steering wheel

10-08-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Slight shake in steering wheel

On two occasions recently when traveling at just over 80mph I noticed a slight shake in the steering wheel. It hasn't happened on any other occasions before or since even when doing the same speed. What could be the cause?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
On two occasions recently when traveling at just over 80mph I noticed a slight shake in the steering wheel. It hasn't happened on any other occasions before or since even when doing the same speed. What could be the cause?
Possibly a slight tyre/wheel balance issue. Sometimes 'both' front wheels can be a little off balance, not enough to notice every time you reach the specific speed it vibrates. If the wheels get in a rotational phase to vibrate, you feel it. Say one wheel is 1/2 a turn different to the other, it masks/cancels out the vibration.

Sometimes this is noticed more as the imbalance gets worse. Go around a slow bend at the vibration speed, the shakes come and go as the wheels go through the different rotational positions.

If it is the problem, it will be evident on more occasions in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Thank you for your reply. Obviously I thought of balancing. But is it not strange how it has only happened twice and often when I travel at the offending speed it's fine?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
BMW_Sweden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540iX G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Thank you for your reply. Obviously I thought of balancing. But is it not strange how it has only happened twice and often when I travel at the offending speed it's fine?
You don't have the driving assistant thingy? If you come close to a lane change without blinking the steering wheel will vibrate
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Sweden View Post
You don't have the driving assistant thingy? If you come close to a lane change without blinking the steering wheel will vibrate
I was going to say the same thing. On my current 330e the vibration is so slight that I have trouble telling the difference between the lane change warning and bumps in the road.

Try turning the lane change warning off and see if that does the trick. Alternatively, you could change the intensity setting of the lane change warning.

When I test drove a 5 series, the lane change warning was very much discernible at the high setting (I deliberately let my car edge over toward another lane when I had room to see how the warning went).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
34ford
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 M550ix

I am having the same experience. The dealer checked the tires and said they were properly balanced.
Appreciate 0