BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions How do you stay in control of AC recirculation?

03-07-2019, 01:29 AM   #1
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
How do you stay in control of AC recirculation?

Can't find old posts that I remember on this but today I would be driving along and it would turn itself off and then it sucked in some smoky air from a controlled burn going on . Is there a way to force it to stay on unless I choose to turn it off (even with coding)?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 04:26 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

If you manually put circulation on I would expect it to stay on for the duration of the journey but the car may switch it off possibly it it detects any misting )that's my guess)

Can you elaborate on the issue and what you are trying to achieve?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
If you manually put circulation on I would expect it to stay on for the duration of the journey but the car may switch it off possibly it it detects any misting )that's my guess)

Can you elaborate on the issue and what you are trying to achieve?
Haven't seen the specific strategy for the G30, but previous IHKA systems have an outside air strategy, according to ambient air temperature and of course linked to humidity/misting.

You can't run continuously with recirculation closed, either auto or manual.

Colder the ambient temperature the less time before short bursts of fresh air, also less time without A/C function.

This obviously causes issues when we are in a continuously polluted driving situation. We can get caught with fumes for example, if the timed 'fresh air' response coincides with the dirty truck in front. From my experience and involvement with BMW engineers, this can't be over-ridden, as part of normal use.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Max86
Rep
Drives: 540i MPPSK

I have the same issue with my G30. Never had this with any previous BMW.

Had it since the day I got it, it turns itself off every couple of minutes. Strangely sometimes this coincides with the auto start/stop but it's not consistent.

When I got the MPPSK fitted, it was solved for over half a year. Not sure what fixed it for a short time: at first I thought it was solved with the update they did but then the issue would not have returned... Now I'm thinking it could be the windshield that is greasy on the inside which they may have cleaned when it was in for MPPSK fitting, not sure if that makes sense...

Do agree this is absolutely horrible. Air quality in my city is amongst the worst in Europe, it is absolutely necessary to use the recirculation for up to 10-15 minutes at a time. I can notice it immediately when it turns off prematurely. Very unhappy with the constant fumes coming in for what is supposed to be a premium car. The automatic recirculation is rubbish as it has been on every BMW I owned.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #5
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Not the best solution but for short periods MAX COOL turns recirculating on as part of it's function. Plus some other stuff.
clee1982796.00
      03-08-2019, 01:56 AM   #6
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
sucks that turning it on doesn't leave your settings alone, I don't notice it's off until it's too late.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max86 View Post
Very unhappy with the constant fumes coming in for what is supposed to be a premium car. The automatic recirculation is rubbish as it has been on every BMW I owned.
What's been the problem with Auto recirculation? I've always found the auto setting pretty good, unless humidity is high and there is the HVAC command conflict.

The 'sniffer' sensor is the heart of the Auto recirculation system, can lose sensitivity over time. But should last a few years without issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I don't think I ever turn on circulation for more than a few minutes so I guess I never notice it...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I don't think I ever turn on circulation for more than a few minutes so I guess I never notice it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Hit MENU on ac buttons. Air circulation is then an option, uncheck the box. Now you have manual control.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #10
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

Quote:
I have the same issue with my G30. Never had this with any previous BMW.
Same here.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You can't totally cut off a supply of fresh air indefinitely...to do that would make a lousy HVAC system. To say that the the car is the problem due to the quality of the local environmental air's conditions isn't fair to the car either...premium or not.

Even when AUC (automatic air recirculation) is manually selected...the fresh air flap will open for a few moments. You can't keep breathing in recirculated air in an enclosed cabin where the occupants are naturally expelling carbon dioxide. It would be like breathing with a bag over your nose and mouth...we all know what happens if this were to occur, right?

For some info about the AUC system...here's some direct links to the BMW TIS website:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #12
Max86
Rep
Drives: 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
You can't totally cut off a supply of fresh air indefinitely...to do that would make a lousy HVAC system. To say that the the car is the problem due to the quality of the local environmental air's conditions isn't fair to the car either...premium or not.

Even when AUC (automatic air recirculation) is manually selected...the fresh air flap will open for a few moments. You can't keep breathing in recirculated air in an enclosed cabin where the occupants are naturally expelling carbon dioxide. It would be like breathing with a bag over your nose and mouth...we all know what happens if this were to occur, right?

For some info about the AUC system...here's some direct links to the BMW TIS website:
I don't expect to permanently cut off the outside air supply. From what I read a couple of years ago BMWs take outside air every 10 minutes regardless of the status of your air recirculation. I am fine with that. What I am however very much annoyed with is turning on air recirculation and it turns itself off not even a full minute after. I find myself in tunnels around Antwerp having to press the button more than 5 times each passing. This is clearly a problem with the car and not only mine it seems.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
...What I am however very much annoyed with is turning on air recirculation and it turns itself off not even a full minute after. I find myself in tunnels around Antwerp having to press the button more than 5 times each passing. This is clearly a problem with the car and not only mine it seems.
I would have to agree that the situation, as explained in the quote above, is excessive and would definitely be annoying. In the past, AUC would open the fresh air flaps on a longer interval:

{this was the AUC interval cycle during the e38/e39/e46/e53 era}

Digging around on the BMW TIS website...I found the info below for the G30 5 series: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...tem/1VnYhyNKZo

Maybe things will change during the warmer months when the AC is running instead of just trying to heat the cabin.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-20-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 09:19 AM   #14
CATUN_PATRICK6
Rep
Drives: BMW 5-Series

It s simple, u press the menu button on the climate control from the g30 and you can see there automatic air recirculation. U can turn in off
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 09:24 AM   #15
wirral_guy
Rep
Drives: 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I would have to agree that the situation, as explained in the quote above, is excessive and would definitely be annoying. In the past, AUC would open the fresh air flaps on a longer interval:

{this was the AUC interval cycle during the e38/e39/e46/e53 era}

Digging around on the BMW TIS website...I found the info below for the G30 5 series: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...tem/1VnYhyNKZo

Maybe things will change during the warmer months when the AC is running instead of just trying to heat the cabin.
I know this is an old post resurrected but I am so impressed at the level of intelligence applied to something as 'simple' as the HVAC system!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #16
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Can't find old posts that I remember on this but today I would be driving along and it would turn itself off and then it sucked in some smoky air from a controlled burn going on . Is there a way to force it to stay on unless I choose to turn it off (even with coding)?
yes but you have to code to turn off auto recirculation
Appreciate 0