BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Question for Cayman Drivers on Winter Wheels / Tires

05-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Question for Cayman Drivers on Winter Wheels / Tires

Know we've got a lot of P-car folks on the forum. Apologies in advance but j may make a pure impulse purchase tomorrow and really do not have time to do any research. Anyone run a Cayman year round and have any info to share on winter setup? Could a square 17" BBS setup work for instance? Would need to be my daily but like I said I know next to nothing about the possible options for a winter set. Looked on tire rack and everything the suggested was a really expensive staggered setup that looked less than ideal for a variety of reasons. Sorry in advance for "cheating" and not doing my own homework I just don't have the time
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I don't have a cayman (yet), but 17in 225 square is what i run on my bmw in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
I don't have a cayman (yet), but 17in 225 square is what i run on my bmw in the winter.
Yeah I run 17" BBS SRs on my M235 w/ 225 Blizzaks. If those would fit the Cayman it would be awesome since I already have them even if need spacers, but otherwise just need to figure out what is possible.

For some reason I decided to search local inventory when I was on a boring conf call last night and need to go test drive something tomorrow. This is not how I typically buy cars, feeling very uncomfortable with my lack of research.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
EmilyGardner
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Hi! For me it was pretty easy. Before passing the driving, I had quite a lot of experience with my dad on his Cayman. And this wasn’t just driving with him along the streets of some town with a hundred of cars in it. It was a real challenge not only for me, but even for my dad. We travelled a lot with him in the western Washington state. Do you know this region? This is one of the snowiest region! I remember one of our trips especially clear. Even though we had bought snow tires (and not just some budget option, we’ve studied snow tire comparison info and chose a good one), we could have had troubles. Winter tires do not always save from snow adversity. Be sure there are roads that are too tough for even the softest tires. If we did not had the snow chains that we had been advised to buy (again, thanks to snow chains reviews that we read), our trip would have turned into a real misfortune. So, after this, passing a driving on my own Cayman was the easiest thing for me!
Appreciate 0