BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Adaptive icon lights

10-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #45
niichu
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
What option did you order?
My option list has BMW adaptive LED.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #46
niichu
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by niichu View Post
Hello

I'm still confused on what my G30 comes with. This is turning on corners, even the fog lights are switched on. Changing focus on speed, auto dim and bright. But it doesn't do the fancy thing of creating a tunnel against the ongoing or incoming traffic. Do we call this Adaptive LED? Why doesn't it work as BMW adaptive LED?
Thanks guys. This is working now; in India where you can't expect what next on the road. I'm enjoying the magic of intelligence on my long highway trips. This is making the tunnels and shifting angles based on the ongoing traffic.

My problem earlier was the settings. The wrong driving side was selected in the settings and it started working when I selected driver settings as right hand drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #47
Soussef24
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC60 D5 Momentum MY11

Guys,

I have a question : to summarize things, there are three possibilities on the G30.

- Standard LED headlights,
- S524A Adaptive Headlights, which add High Beam assist and turning on corners, etc. I think these are physically the same headlights or at least look the same with the two rings (OO),
- S552A Adaptive LED headlight, which are the ICON lights with the two C (CC-), and the more advanced beam forming based on traffic.

Is the above correct? Is it possible to retrofit the S524A on top of the standard LED Headlights?

EDIT : After some research, "S5ACA High-beam assistant" is yet another option, and it comes either with FLA camera on the rear-view mirror or with the KAFA cameras if you have some driving assistant functions. S5ACA is also mandatory if you want to reftrofit S552A... But what about S524A? I can't see what are it's hardware prerequisites...

Last edited by Soussef24; 01-14-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:14 PM   #48
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soussef24 View Post
Guys,

I have a question : to summarize things, there are three possibilities on the G30.

- Standard LED headlights,
- S524A Adaptive Headlights, which add High Beam assist and turning on corners, etc. I think these are physically the same headlights or at least look the same with the two rings (OO),
- S552A Adaptive LED headlight, which are the ICON lights with the two C (CC-), and the more advanced beam forming based on traffic.

Is the above correct? Is it possible to retrofit the S524A on top of the standard LED Headlights?

EDIT : After some research, "S5ACA High-beam assistant" is yet another option, and it comes either with FLA camera on the rear-view mirror or with the KAFA cameras if you have some driving assistant functions. S5ACA is also mandatory if you want to reftrofit S552A... But what about S524A? I can't see what are it's hardware prerequisites...
I believe S524A and S552A are the same hardware, but in some markets (US), we can only get S524A because the beam forming is not yet approved by our regulatory authorities. So, the hardware is the same but the function is coded off.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:00 AM   #49
onurustunel
Rep
Drives: 2017 520i 1.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I believe S524A and S552A are the same hardware, but in some markets (US), we can only get S524A because the beam forming is not yet approved by our regulatory authorities. So, the hardware is the same but the function is coded off.
Not exactly. S524A looks like standard leds but there are cornering light installed in the housing. Combined with the HBA (either FLA or KAFAS) they adapt to the oncomig traffic conditions and also illuminate corners using steering angle and the speed as input. S552A is the one with elongated C shaped DRL’s which have full light tunneling capability.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #50
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onurustunel View Post
Not exactly. S524A looks like standard leds but there are cornering light installed in the housing. Combined with the HBA (either FLA or KAFAS) they adapt to the oncomig traffic conditions and also illuminate corners using steering angle and the speed as input. S552A is the one with elongated C shaped DRL’s which have full light tunneling capability.
I stand corrected!

The main thing I know is I have "Adaptive ICON Full LED" on my G30, but as I am in the US...no tunneling function. I have been led to believe the hardware is there and tunneling can be coded on (once the US DOT provides their blessing, of course).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:45 AM   #51
Soussef24
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC60 D5 Momentum MY11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I stand corrected!

The main thing I know is I have "Adaptive ICON Full LED" on my G30, but as I am in the US...no tunneling function. I have been led to believe the hardware is there and tunneling can be coded on (once the US DOT provides their blessing, of course).
Yes, I think you are right on that part. If you have the ICON Full LED (or S552A) in North America, the tunneling is disabled because of regulatory and can be coded back.

Now on the S524A, onurustunel I agree that they look the same as standard LED, but do you believe the hardware is actually different than the standard LED? Or is it only coding to enable cornering illumination?

I understand though that HBA is S5ACA and requires the FLA or KAFAS.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #52
onurustunel
Rep
Drives: 2017 520i 1.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soussef24 View Post
Now on the S524A, onurustunel I agree that they look the same as standard LED, but do you believe the hardware is actually different than the standard LED? Or is it only coding to enable cornering illumination?

I understand though that HBA is S5ACA and requires the FLA or KAFAS.
Yes, the hardware is different.
This one is the adaptive led with cornering light reflector at the grill end of the housing.

This one is the standard one.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2019, 03:01 AM   #53
__mkw
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: F30

the second one are:
S524A Adaptive Headlights

??
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:35 AM   #54
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by __mkw View Post
the second one are:
S524A Adaptive Headlights

??
No I'm pretty sure he and others have said the first are the adaptive led and the second (with yellow turn signals) are the standard lights.